Rumor: Next Xbox Won't Appear Until E3 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
console gaming isn't dead, but it's slowly getting there.
n3ds didn't take off until nintendo offered a big price cut and their 3d hurt users' eyes.
smartphones, tablets and their os have made major strides in development and they're still developing at a rapid pace while consoles have very long development cycle. pc gaming is making a comeback with new hardwares. present smartphones, tablets, gfx cards even igps can directly connect to tv.
i don't see how consoles fit into this new post-console era(never liked them in the first place, they seemed like underpowered specialized pcs that doesn't have upgradable hardware and very restrictive softwares(sony)).
>:)

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
the ps4 and 720 (pending name) will most likely be more of the same, at its core, because we put these consoles away in spaces on out entertainment center, and something like kinect, move or the wii bar, need to be separate from the console.

in 2013 as a reveal, they could have a top end 6xxx model in there, with a mid range, 4-8 core cpu (depends on if we get more cores, or more efficient cores) and i mean physical core, with threading of some kind, because ai and physics will be the biggest drive in the next generation, with the graphics leap... aside from sharper textures, being minimal.

if the wiiu is a sucess, as it could be, i mean imagine a fps where you shoot looking at the tv, from the hip, but to look doe the iron sights, you look at the gun peripheral in your hand, i can see this making fpses funner and more engaging to play on the console apposed to pc, but time will tell if they handle it as good as im hoping.

if that tablet desighn works, and imagine this, a small game like bejewled on one, while someone else is playing uncharted on another, and a smaller phone like device is playing mp3 on another.

in all seriousness, if sony wants to just blind side the gaming industry with record sales, that's what they need to do.

personally, this is how i would handle it.

i would make sure 2 casual apps (think bejewled, not a wii game) can be played at once, with hard core game on the tv, this way it has more value to everyone than just one person at a time.

i would get a music store, and a video store, up and going, and i would have an in house rockband like studio that just focuses on music games, weather its dance, plastic instruments, or teaching tools like rocksmith, and work out a way for us to sell the music, and the game portion without needing separate licenses, i mean picture it, a person wants to get a song they like, they buy it, later on at a party, they set it up for karaoke, a few more want to join in, plastic insturments, a few more want to dance too, well there you go. later on they want to pick up XXXX (instrument), so they plug that into the console and start learning, and at the end of the day, still put the song on an ipod like device. i could see major money and system sales there.

i would also have 2 app stores, 1 game app store, as in 1 place for actual system games, think arcade, and 1 more for a more tablet like app experience, think angry birds like games.

i would put the system out, 1 ps3 quality controller that can split in 2, and 2 lesser controllers that strap onto your hands, have accelerometers gyroscopes and such in each hand with a light on it, similar to the ps3 but just a light that straps to the outside of your hand, for an optional web cam but its packaged with a cheap pos that's like 10$ and is good enough, and let other people develop supplementary web cams.

if we are looking at taking a loss with system sales, id package it with a ipod sized touch screen device, that, while in the systems range, functions just like an ipod touch, when outside it, functions just like an ipod, that way the internals can be cheaply made, the tocuh portion and screen will be about 40$ total, with battery, and small processor being about another 30$, it works and that's all it needs to do.

and than i would sell a tablet separately, or a bundle, it would be much like the ipod touch, but wouldnt function outside the range.

id make damn sure the range on that thing is retardedly strong too, with you being able to tone it down to not bother neighbors if its strength becomes a problem.

but thats just what i would do.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]console gaming isn't dead, but it's slowly getting there. n3ds didn't take off until nintendo offered a big price cut and their 3d hurt users' eyes. smartphones, tablets and their os have made major strides in development and they're still developing at a rapid pace while consoles have very long development cycle. pc gaming is making a comeback with new hardwares. present smartphones, tablets, gfx cards even igps can directly connect to tv.i don't see how consoles fit into this new post-console era(never liked them in the first place, they seemed like underpowered specialized pcs that doesn't have upgradable hardware and very restrictive softwares(sony)). >[/citation]

the 3ds had no games, i mean the only one worth picking up was street fighter 4 at launch, and took them 4-5 months to bring out 1 system moveing game, zelda.

and they are still dragging their feet at bringing out worth while games.

if it wanst for the game issue, the 3ds would probably sold better than the dses first year.

stereopsis

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2010
I know a lot of people love their consoles so no offence intended, but I just can't relate to playing games on a console. I don't know what would make them the preferred platform over PCs (besides possibly ease of installation).

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I don't think that the tech has developed enough so that it makes any sense to release a new console. If they offer anything less than 4Gb of texture memory and processors that could crunch that data. They better release the consoles when they start making the processors at less than 20nm. And better they should bring novel features instead of just cranking up the poly count.
I haven't seen almost any interesting and impressive games since 2000. In fact some of the better games run on low spec machines.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
[citation][nom]greghome[/nom]I don't mind waiting if the girl in that picture is included *sarcasm*[/citation]
Agreed...well, without the sarcasm, that is. :D

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
Of course if it was coming out next year would they tell people since most people would wait instead of buying a 360 this year?

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
"Good news" to PC owners. They don't need to upgrade thein Nvidia 8800 or ATI 1800 series GPU until after 2013... We will get DX9 console ports at least two more years, and some after... because it takes some time to push good games to new consoles.

Well, actually this is something that has been expecting allready. New consoles are coming in 2 to 3 years from now. 2013 to 2015. It kind of make sense. Only really interesting new GPU tech has been tessalation, and those GPU's that can do tessalation fast enough are too expensive to consoles at this moment. A couple of years can make them affordable...

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
I didn't read the article, I just wanted to know if there is a higher resolution version of that picture.

I'll buy whatever console she's playing as long as I can have that as a desktop background :)

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It appears that some poor woman has gotten lost and wandered away from the kitchen and is touching her owner's... err I mean husbands things. Poor thing can't even figure out how a TV works and is sitting way too far off on the side.

Men, please do not let this happen in your home. If a woman is allowed to wander freely she can possibly get hurt, and more importantly your belongings may get damaged. A standard door lock will normally do the trick, simply lock them in. In rare cases you may need to restrain their movements a bit more in which a strong leash and collar combo will do the trick.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]console gaming isn't dead, but it's slowly getting there...i don't see how consoles fit into this new post-console era(never liked them in the first place, they seemed like underpowered specialized pcs that doesn't have upgradable hardware and very restrictive softwares(sony)). >[/citation]
And therein lies the problem with anybody who bashes either platforms. I was a console gamer up until the GameCube years, and the appeal of console gaming is A) inexpensive, B) convenient, C) better experience. Though I am now a PC gamer, I know exactly what is causing the console vs PC gaming wars, and it has nothing to do with the platforms themselves, but with lazy and unprofessional game publishers who deliberately neglect properly porting console games to the PC, and publishers who made their fortunes and reputations through the PC-gamers financial support, but now pretend like we don't exist. Blame the game developers/publishers, not the platforms or those who chose to use one above the other!

zepfan_75

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]console gaming isn't dead, but it's slowly getting there. n3ds didn't take off until nintendo offered a big price cut and their 3d hurt users' eyes. smartphones, tablets and their os have made major strides in development and they're still developing at a rapid pace while consoles have very long development cycle. pc gaming is making a comeback with new hardwares. present smartphones, tablets, gfx cards even igps can directly connect to tv.i don't see how consoles fit into this new post-console era(never liked them in the first place, they seemed like underpowered specialized pcs that doesn't have upgradable hardware and very restrictive softwares(sony)). >[/citation]

I don't think that Console, or PC gaming is dying, but rather the separation between the two is blurring. The exclusives that you get on the PC are hidden by all the press that the multiplatform games get, and even though the PC does have some better hardware the consoles are getting closer in that aspect as well.

(Currently I own all 3 major systems, so I have very little bias towards anyone of them. I do not wish to start a flame war.)

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Love the comments... not..

If you are a PC gamer then continue to be a PC gamer, if you don't like consoles, Microsoft or any other company for that matter are not pointing a gun to your head to buy one.

Consoles are about being able to turn on a system without having to think if it can play the game that was just purchased.

Are console systems dying in terms of usefulness in the sector, I do not see that happening anytime soon. With Microsoft turning their unit into a multi-purpose device, it now becomes part of the entertainment hub.

There will always be new and better things to adapt to and Microsoft has proven to be able to challenge all that come in its way.

Status
Not open for further replies.