Rumor: PlayStation 4 Will Cost More Than $400 This Year

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

largg

Honorable
Aug 1, 2012
Man I hope the PS4 is multi functional. I had a PS2 and used it 90% of the time on movie rentals not games. I want the PS4 play DVD movies, be a DVR as well as play games. Give me that and I wouldn't mind paying $500+ for it.

And the DVR needs to be as good as TiVo, I really don't care for this U-verse I have now.

fuzzion

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2012
With steam and their ridiculous offers i will never pirate games because I for one, love gaming and want pc gaming to thrive.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
[citation][nom]caedenv[/nom]anyone else think it odd that they would make this announcement right before MWC? With all the phone news that will be flooding the internet just a few days after their announcement it makes one wonder if the PS4 will have some sort of cell phone component, or if this will just be a teaser launch simply made to get people to think about Sony right now, and for the lack of news to get buried in the chaos that follows.[/citation]
moon.... games. I use my 3770k for games ^_^[/citation]

Or they're just scared that mobile is eating their potential market up. Which in some cases it is.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]I don't doubt it.. Issue is, we want these Consoles to support high graphic games.. but we don't want to spend a fortune on them..So what do we do? We kill the PC market by making games "so-so" with graphics. Unfortunately not everyone can afford a gaming computer, so its easier to game with Consoles. 200-400 bucks and bam you can play all games!I'm a PC guy.. but seeing the pirating so high and the console being so easy to afford/use.. well, I don't blame developers for going console specific or going console and porting to PC.Yes, you can pirate for the console as well but a lot more steps are required. It isn't as easy as "pirate bay/torrent/play". Oh well.[/citation]
All studies done on the subject show that the ones who pirate stuff the most, buy that stuff the most too. Don't know if it's cause or effect or something else.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
And this is the first time in over 25 years that I could care less. Ouya, PC and maybe, but unlikely the steambox. The rest is just and overly outdated, under utilized PC (current and next gen consoles). They don't offer anything a PC doesn't and now my HTPC (which is about 10x's more powerful than my 360) was cheaper to build, has more to do and isn't stuck to 60 dollar rip off rehased games.

Next gen is in for a problem, because if I (someone who has cared about video games before 3d was a term, 3d rendering, open gl, texturing, video game programing, physics, game engines, hardware, cell, xenon, hd-dvd vs blu-ray, bios',etc) could care less about this gen, then what about all the people that don't care about console stuff?

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom][...]Unfortunately not everyone can afford a gaming computer, so its easier to game with Consoles. 200-400 bucks and bam you can play all games![/citation]

For me, that argument doesn't work...because, while most everyone doesn't have / can't afford a [high-end] gaming PC, many people have < 3 year old PCs in their home. Pop a $150 GPU in that bad boy and...bam, 3 solid years of gaming. Guess what, three years later (perhaps you've upgraded your PC in that time, or gotten a new one) you use another $150 to get a replacement GPU and you are never so ridiculously behind the times.

Admittedly, I'm seeing more and more homes with older PCs which are 'replaced'/supplemented with notebooks (instead of a PC upgrade/refresh) that can't have a $150 GPU shoved in them...so that is a flaw in my plan.

Mathos

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2007
If the specs are correct, I do actually see some good side effects coming from the next gen consoles, especially for pc gamers. If all PS4 games are optimized for the Bulldozer 8core CPU, and AMD GPU, that means most game ports will be optimized to run on multiple cores. As well as, being better optimized for AMD/ATI GPUs which should help to counter the Nvidia TWIMTBP bandwagon.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
For an another 100 bucks you can build a better spec gaming PC.

[citation][nom]Mathos[/nom]If the specs are correct, I do actually see some good side effects coming from the next gen consoles, especially for pc gamers. If all PS4 games are optimized for the Bulldozer 8core CPU.[/citation]
The PS4 will be useing an IBM CPU with a AMD GPU.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]billgatez[/nom]For an another 100 bucks you can build a better spec gaming PC.The PS4 will be useing an IBM CPU with a AMD GPU.[/citation]
Everything I have read (rumors) says the PS4 will be using an AMD CPU and AMD GPU.

redgarl

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Camikazi[/nom]Everything I have read (rumors) says the PS4 will be using an AMD CPU and AMD GPU.[/citation]

Which make sense. AMD can provide better pricing for both components. We laught about AMD recent PC release, but they had the perfect stuff for consoles. Kudos for them, I didn't saw this stunt comming.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if true they should realize this is why they lost to m$ and the xbox 360, when a parent goes to buy their kid a console they look at the price and ... well that is really all the research they do, it is why the wii was so successful

CrArC

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]Biiig deal, I still have my PS3 for blu ray and once in a blue moon.... games. I use my 3770k for games ^_^[/citation] It is a big deal though. Those of us with nice gaming PCs will finally get (a) games that actually push the boundaries once more (no longer being limited to crappy old hardware) and (b) better console ports as they're all x86 anyway.

So it IS a big deal, even if we have no intention of forking out for any more crappy consoles!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
xbox720 => AMDs APU
Sony PS4 (yeah, 4 is unlicky they'll call it something else) => AMDs APU
Valve's SteamBox => xi3 => AMDs APU

Conslusions:
1) AMD's stocks anyone?
2) GG Nintendo? (very different platform)

vertigo_2000

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2007
If AMD sold the design to Sony and MS then AMD won't be seeing anything except a one time cash infusion for the sale of the designs.

Once that's done, MS and Sony are free to get them made at any fab they want and AMD sees $0.

Status
Not open for further replies.