Rumor: Super-sized Kindle Coming Tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

any info about resolutions?
This would be a great alternative in reading scanned A4 (or 8 by 11) books!
since the 6" had 600x800 I suspect this one will have more, in the likes of 768x1024 or something.

Although I would never buy a kindle for it's looks, this could mean other manufacturers will release their (similar 9") reading devices around the same time. We know Plastic Logics and BeBook where one of the few aiming for a 9" device. Jinke electronics also had a 9,7" device planned in time.

So that's great news for the newspaper man, and the comic guy!
Perhaps no more old newspapers will float around town?

G

any info about resolutions?
This would be a great alternative in reading scanned A4 (or 8 by 11) books!
since the 6" had 600x800 I suspect this one will have more, in the likes of 768x1024 or something.

Although I would never buy a kindle for it's looks, this could mean other manufacturers will release their (similar 9") reading devices around the same time. We know Plastic Logics and BeBook where one of the few aiming for a 9" device. Jinke electronics also had a 9,7" device planned in time.

So that's great news for the newspaper man, and the comic guy!
Perhaps no more old newspapers will float around town?

4c1dr41n4

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
First!

Now, really: when are we going to see strimmed down versions of these readers? No keyboards, notes, sim cards, MP3, touch screen, etc, thanks. Just the nice book-like screen, USB to connect to PC, PDF/txt reading, simple page bookmarking, maybe an SD slot for more storage - and a more attractive price, of course?

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Concept is great, but closed architecture (albeit from the largest bookseller) will hinder the general acceptance. I actually think the device is already great and easy to read, but it will take some time to change habits and pry paper books out of vivid reader's hands. (Much like oversized trucks in America.) Just think of the benefits when moving. If you ever had to load and unload hundreds of books on the moving truck you will appreciate this device. Further, books won't help either if you remember the words but not the location of something you need to read up again. Searchable books are the answer.

Seeing kindle on the iPhone is a good although puny start. The more devices can read it (some better some worse), the more likely its acceptance. Elderly readers may not change, one way or the other. Then again, the zoom may convince them but any button to push is likely to scare them away. (I know they would with my mom who's 70.)

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Alright! Finally a device for students! Now when I am trying to stretch my budget I can purchase a $300+ Kindle and then purchase electronic text books for them. I am sure this will be much cheaper than getting old raggedy copies from ex students for $30. Who wants to have the ability to scan their books, mark them up, or loan them to a friend anyways?

On top of that my digital circuits professor requires that you show him a PHYSICAL COPY of one of the books (about $30) before he gives you a final grade. I wonder what he would say about my electronic text book.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
There's the hard cover. Then you have soft cover. Now we have Kindle numero dos! Great concept and a lot of people like digital books. BUT the price is too high. I'd possibly consider using a Kindle if they priced it for FREE as an incentive to buy digital books. Till that day, I like my small library of books.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]...On top of that my digital circuits professor requires that you show him a PHYSICAL COPY of one of the books (about $30) before he gives you a final grade. I wonder what he would say about my electronic text book.[/citation]
Did your professor write the book, does he work for the campus bookstore, why would he care if you owned the book or not? I shared a calculus book with my first roomate until he dropped out. We really should have shared a chemistry book, $130 waste of paper is all that was, two semesters and they never even assigned homework out of it (not that I wanted chemistry homework).

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Back when I was in college I would have happily traded in my 40# backpack full of books for a large Kindle, notebook and pen.

Think of the $$ and the paper that you could save over 4 to 8 years.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I think of how heavy my books were in school, now that my son is in school, I could only wish they would purchase these devices for them instead. Also, since kids are so connected these days, they might actually read the assignments they are given!

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
can't imagine the current kindles being good for reading anything but pure literature like dickens or twain. textbooks have pictures and such all over the page therefore the kindle wouldn't make a good alternative. then there's still the matter of colours. laptops are still yet the better choice.

fuser

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]bin1127[/nom]can't imagine the current kindles being good for reading anything but pure literature like dickens or twain. textbooks have pictures and such all over the page therefore the kindle wouldn't make a good alternative. then there's still the matter of colours. laptops are still yet the better choice.[/citation]

From Amazon's site: "Kindle's high-resolution screen now boasts 16 shades of gray, so images and photos are sharper and clearer than ever."

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Since I need all of my textbooks everyday at school, I scanned every page and have searchable pdf files of every book on my laptop. It takes a few hours to scan about 2,000 pages of textbook every quarter, but the end result is worth it. I'm not sure if a larger Kindle would be a better choice for reading than my 17" laptop though.

G

I'm a professor at a decent college. Two semesters ago, I've switched to electronic textbooks. Instead of buying a textbook for $120-$150, students get access to an electronic version for around $70. The caveat of the electronic version is that students don't get perpetual access to it but just access for 1 semester. However, the electronic edition is page-by-page identical to the physical textbook and students can print out the digital textbook (albeit you gotta issue one print command per chapter).

Included with the electronic textbook you get an online learning solution which is usually of decent quality but doesn't fully replace traditional homeworks.

Nevertheless, I think it'd be terrific if students could download textbooks to a device such as the Kindle or the Sony Reader. It brings down the steep down of textbooks. And my experience suggests that students would be fine with it. They carry around their laptop everywhere anyway, so students actually appreciate having digital textbooks (makes sense, that way you don't have to haul around heavy hardcover books).

Not every textbook is available digitally today (although the ones I needed were available). But I imagine they soon will be. If you're an academic, think about papers. It has been three years at least since I actually needed to go to a library to obtain a specific article from a journal. By now, virtually *all* journal articles are available online. I strongly assume the same will happen with textbooks and gadgets like the Kindle will make it more convenient.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Did your professor write the book, does he work for the campus bookstore, why would he care if you owned the book or not? I shared a calculus book with my first roomate until he dropped out. We really should have shared a chemistry book, $130 waste of paper is all that was, two semesters and they never even assigned homework out of it (not that I wanted chemistry homework).[/citation]

I have no idea why he cared whether or not I own the book and that is sort of my point. I don't mind a digital copy that I can read on my laptop and print out pages if I want to but I have yet to see a reason to shell out an extra $300+ to do the exact same thing on a Kindle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS