Rumor: Wii 2's CPU, Price and Name Revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]areszues92[/nom]They should put at least a amd 6870 mobility like the ones in laptops..[/citation]
thats a 4870 with a 128bit bus vs the 256bit bus and dx11 support but since this is supposedly a REHASH of the r700 architecture we might see something surprising.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
There is no "R700" GPU, that's just the family the gpu's are in, so smeker and whoever else are speaking out of their ass. It could be anywhere between a 4350 and a 4890.

I don't understand why they're using that old of a GPU, but anything in that family kicks the crap out of what's in the 360 and PS3 by far. 360 is basically an x600 and the PS3 is a 7800GT.

Ramar

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
Also, to those decrying Nintendo and claiming they're going to fall behind Sony and Microsoft, I dare you to go look at units shipped. The Wii kind of kicked the crap out of both consoles.

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
If it is true, things might look good for the Game Devs at least.

They'll have another console to develop that's closer to a PC and with enough horsepower to add a lil' more eye candy.

It worries me for the GC/Wii backwards compatibility though...

Cheers!

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Yeah.. trusting rumours from IGN.. no thanks. lolz..

Yes, the Wii won 'this gen' quite easily. I don't think they'll do so well in the next gen though.
Still, it'll be a day one purchase for me.

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Why are they using the R700? If its like the 360, they could do soooooooo much better than that. Seriously. One moderate power video card can absolutely destroy a 360. lol

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]prabal34[/nom]I hope they use better hardware than this. Why is Nintendo always trailing behind in the hardware department. Nintendo used to be a leader, now they only choose to follow and fall behind M$ and $ony. Maybe they should change their name to No-Can-Do since they can't come up with anything decent. 1080p pfft that's so 10 years ago.[/citation]

Because Nintendo prefers to be affordable and innovative. The Wii was basically nothing compared to the horse power of XBox and PS3, BUT it had an interactive UI that allowed players to be part of gaming like never before.

banthracis

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]It needs dual core GPU and an 8-core processor, along with other OS support.[/citation]

...you know nothing about GPU architecture do you?

We were in the hundreds of cores in the R700 days and over 1000 cores now at the high end.

bloodlust22

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Seriously, console makers are holding the entire gaming industry back.[/citation]

Seriously? It's not the console makers that are holding the industry back, It's the cheap ass consumers that wish not to spend $900 on a gaming console. As another poster mentioned if you want the latest and greatest in PC hardware, then spend $2000 and get the PC. Otherwise if you wish to play on consoles get used to the outdated hardware. The issue is finding the happy medium between price and performance that the masses will buy.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]jednx01[/nom]Why are they using the R700? If its like the 360, they could do soooooooo much better than that. Seriously. One moderate power video card can absolutely destroy a 360. lol[/citation]

The cpu is like the 360. not the gpu. the Gpu is somewhere in the performance range of the 4xxx HD ATI desktop gpus. Which the gpu in project cafe could be more powerful than than any other game console on the market (being if they chose something in the upper 4xxx range that can handle 1920 x 1080 (also know as 1080p) .

Now the cpu from what i saw on the IGN article, it suppose to be something close to the xbox 360 cpu being an tri-core but with slightly higher clocks and im guessing an improved arch.

warmon6

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]It needs dual core GPU and an 8-core processor, along with other OS support.[/citation]

Dual core gpu? Tell me when you find one as for as far back as my memory recalls (for about 6 years of computer hardware) there never been such a thing as dual core cpus.

Now there are "shaders" that some people will compare them to cores, but there not cores like a cpu.

As for those 8 core cpu's.......
tell me when you can find one thats affordable and has good performance (2.6 GHz or more) as im not wanting to shell out nearly $800 or more for just a cpu (thats less than 2.6GHz) in a game console.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100008494+600048545&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=727&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

abottig

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2010
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]R700? That means the graphic power is similar to Radeon 4870. That is still way too low. So, a next gen console doesn't even have the power of a last gen GPU (considering GF100 and R800 as the last gen). Seriously, console makers are holding the entire gaming industry back.[/citation]

The 360 and PS3 use hardware inferior to an 8800gt. What's your point?

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]...you know nothing about GPU architecture do you?We were in the hundreds of cores in the R700 days and over 1000 cores now at the high end.[/citation]
I believe he's talking about dual core GPU in reference to processor cores. In this case, you're wrong. YOU are talking about 'shader' cores, which is a completely different concept.

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]
Do you really think foxconn is much worse than any number of "x" manufacturers?

kashifme21

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2009
Lol why not get a PC for 500usd which will have the latest hardware parts. r700 is so old even by todays standard.

Nvidia and AMD will only be hurting themselves supporting consoles. I will not be buying another upgrade until consoles actually catch up. Doesnt look like the Wii 2 will catch up to my PC performance. Will have to wait and watch what Sony and MS come up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.