Rumor: Wii 2's CPU, Price and Name Revealed

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]R700? That means the graphic power is similar to Radeon 4870. That is still way too low. So, a next gen console doesn't even have the power of a last gen GPU (considering GF100 and R800 as the last gen). Seriously, console makers are holding the entire gaming industry back.[/citation]
you can thank all the people that buy such inferior hardware

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
With the way that console game engines are able to utilize the hardware in a low level state this system has the chance to be fairly close to current PC tech visually. This would obviously be depending on what sort of rendition and modifications that they make to the R700 chip. They could work on the tessellation performance of the chip before popping it in this system to make it work well with the type of workload that it will be used for. You also need to think about console development in not just the cost of producing the chips but also with the time frame that they have to work with. With all of the engineering that needs to take place to make a stable and cheep system with all of the integrated components you can't just wait for the newest chips to come out otherwise you will never release your system.

icebug

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rhsnipes[/nom]Nintendo is at it's best when making games for adults specifically. I feel a renaissance coming.[/citation]

...or a "Revolution"? LOL

viper_11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
It's funny how everybody says whatever comes to his mind without even know what is a console and why it was made back in 80's.

I will remind you the sony PS1 had a 2x CD-ROM with a 33MHz CPU and 2MB RAM and a VGA with 1MB RAM when PC's had 166+Mhz CPU's 10x CD-ROM and 8MB RAM and from 4MB to 16Mb VRAM.

Consoles are made for gaming, REAL gaming in mind.
You will not see better games with a better CPU you just need a solid system with enough power to handle all the games with no frame drop in a 1080p resolution! You just need to avoid little mistakes in specs like in ps1 when the 2x CD-ROM was not enough to play games (that why PS1 always had issues with the CD's!)

If you want to see better graphics get a pc spend 3000 and play your games in 2k resolutions.

I am not a console fan boy I do play more games using a PC, but I always have more fan when playing on a console. Some ppl have to understand what is a console before start typing...!

viper_11

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
In addition to my comment above..

When comparing specs have in mind that the console is highly utilized and if you still don't understand what that means think in PC games how much better performance you get in surtain games with new drivers and multiply this improvement by lets say x10 at least!!

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Even 4830 is VASTLY superior to what xbox360 and PS3 have, ok? They have something like nVidia 5700 or weaker.

Regarding "units shipped", nintendo sells a lot of consoles, but much less games. According to their own representative, most of the Wii buyers do NOT buy any more games afterwards, sticking with bundle. On the other hand average PS3 / xbox user buys 2.5 games annually.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]

Then you shouldnt buy anything made in China.
Foxconn is a gigantic corporation with hundreds of thousands of employees. A few suicides per year are "natural" in a population this large.

The sad part is that Foxconn is probably one of the better employers in China.

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]

100% in agreement. I was actually quite excited when i saw the specs as a Radeon 4870 based GPU would give the Wii 2 a huge boost over the PS3 and 360 in terms of graphical horse power but as soon as the reporter mentioned Foxconn my blood turned cold.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
[citation][nom]viper_11[/nom]It's funny how everybody says whatever comes to his mind without even know what is a console and why it was made back in 80's.I will remind[/citation]
I think you lost your point, like other posts in this thread.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010

Lol. You might want to check your computer as most likely parts of either the case/motherboard etc. are manufactured by Foxconn.

blubbey

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
Everyone please calm down about 'not using powerful graphics'. I think I'm right in saying that the 360 uses equivelants of X1900/X1950 XT GPU's and so using a 4xxx series card (lets hope it's a 4870!) it will be MASSIVELY more powerful. Don't forget consoles only have one type of hardware so they get games optimised for them way beyond what PC's get. Do not forget that. Also, don't forget this is a Nintendo product. They usually have slightly worse graphics than their M$/Sony counterparts.

Another thing, it's about price. How many people would buy a console for $1000? The reason why the hardware is out of date is because it's cheap and can be mas produced (economies of scale are ftw). That's what they need and that's what the majority of people look for. Do you want them to go out of business? They have to do this otherwise they will. Also, if M$/Sony don't release within a year or 2 of this, Nintendo are going to have a monopoly on the market if their product isn't a lot better. Competition is good for everyone.

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]lukeeu[/nom]hardware sounds ok. it has all the cpu a game developer can need and a GPU that is a couple times more powerful then xbox and ps3 and it supports SM4.1 so goodbye DirectX9c[/citation]
You know that Consoles(much less anything from Nintendo) do not actually use DX 9 or 10 right? Direct X is a windows thing.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
i pass the wii over for the xbox and i pass the DS3D over the Sony PsP
now 3 years later Sony and Microsoft will make a new Consle and the Wii will be behide

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I'm a PC gamer, but I have been deeply impressed with some of the graphics they've pulled off on PS3 and XBox 360, in certain titles. And that is with reallllllly old hardware. The 4870 is plenty for a current console. I'd argue that reducing loading times is just as important as improving graphics. They also need to expand the functionality of the OS so that it can compete more with Windows.

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
The reason Nintendo goes with older tech, is they are able to get their games into peoples hands without spending a fortune on hardware. Nintendo seems to get the idea behind "entertainment" .

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]You know that Consoles(much less anything from Nintendo) do not actually use DX 9 or 10 right? Direct X is a windows thing.[/citation]

You do realize that the Xbox 360 has Directx 9.0 support right?

jasonpwns

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
[citation][nom]nukemaster[/nom]You know that Consoles(much less anything from Nintendo) do not actually use DX 9 or 10 right? Direct X is a windows thing.[/citation]

Also

" When Microsoft later set out to develop a gaming console, the X was used as the basis of the name Xbox to indicate that the console was based on DirectX technology"

And

"Support for a superset of DirectX 9.0c API DirectX Xbox 360, and Shader Model 3.0+"

on the processor.

G

Graphics aren't everything. Give me inventive gameplay any day. People are still paying full price for three year old Wii games, so Ninty must be doing something right.

Status
Not open for further replies.