Rumor: Wii 2's CPU, Price and Name Revealed

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ikefu

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
The PC R700 series GPUs were DX10 hardware yet some of the other rumors swirling say it is DX11 capable... Therefore I call BS that it will be equivalent to a 4870 in terms of power. I call this one to early to speculate yet.

I think we're going to have to wait and see since the R700 and DX11 rumors don't match. My best guess is an entirely new GPU for the Wii 2 that's loosely based off PC hardware. And that could be anything from very disappointing to mind blowingly awesome.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation]Perhaps the most interesting part is the possibility that two people playing a game on the console could be using different remotes at the same time.[/citation]
No way, you mean 2 people could play on the console at the same time? That's amazing, who could have ever thought of this idea??

/sarcasm

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Perhaps the most interesting part is the possibility that two people playing a game on the console could be using different remotes at the same time.
No way, you mean 2 people could play on the console at the same time? That's amazing, who could have ever thought of this idea??

/sarcasm

G

It still doesnt make any sense to use R700 despite saving cost is the factor, Any low end Radeon HD6000 series is better, smaller and cheaper, it is also easier to port to 40nm/28nm Even HD6600 or HD5700 is way better than any HD4000 GPU. This rumor is a fake.

xSpyke

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]
Then you won't be buying much of anything. Foxconn pretty much has its hands on everything in the electronics industry. Look at the motherboard inside your computer, if there's a Firewire port, then it's most likely made by Foxconn.

Also: These are all rumors. I'm really surprised everyone is taking it more than just with a grain of salt.

G

Dreamcast had screens in their controllers back in the day :) So that's exciting

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
[citation][nom]ikefu[/nom]The PC R700 series GPUs were DX10 hardware yet some of the other rumors swirling say it is DX11 capable... Therefore I call BS that it will be equivalent to a 4870 in terms of power. I call this one to early to speculate yet.[/citation]

DX9-class hardware meets a lot of the specs for Direct3D 10, and DX10-class hardware meets a lot of the specs for Direct3D 11. Microsoft restricted some features to the Direct3D 10 API to try and force gamers to upgrade to Vista. The Direct3D class doesn't tell you everything that the hardware is capable of, it's just a certification.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
[citation][nom]bloodlust22[/nom]Seriously? It's not the console makers that are holding the industry back, It's the cheap ass consumers that wish not to spend $900 on a gaming console. As another poster mentioned if you want the latest and greatest in PC hardware, then spend $2000 and get the PC. Otherwise if you wish to play on consoles get used to the outdated hardware. The issue is finding the happy medium between price and performance that the masses will buy.[/citation]

amen

G

To those that are knocking the hardware specs. This is the strategy that Nintendo has ALWAYS taken. I challenge anyone to name 1 console that Nintendo has made that was technically superior to the other consoles of it's particular generation. There are a couple I think were on par but none that were technically superior. They make consoles that they don't lose money on and provide games with good fun factor and replayability. They're not interested in satisfying those that want to buy a console to get in a console hardware pissing match with their friends. Say what you want about their strategy but it works and always has.

rhsnipes

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
[citation][nom]alewis520[/nom]To those that are knocking the hardware specs. This is the strategy that Nintendo has ALWAYS taken. I challenge anyone to name 1 console that Nintendo has made that was technically superior to the other consoles of it's particular generation. There are a couple I think were on par but none that were technically superior. They make consoles that they don't lose money on and provide games with good fun factor and replayability. They're not interested in satisfying those that want to buy a console to get in a console hardware pissing match with their friends. Say what you want about their strategy but it works and always has.[/citation]

Nintendo64, SuperNintendo, Nintendo Entertainment System were all technically superior in their respective classes. But your point is still correct. The new strategy came after they lost their first console war.

phil kizer

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2010
...And then the controller will merge with the 3DS to form a Super 3D Multi-Touch Screen that can run Android Apps to use with your Wii2 Games that will only be downloadable from "The Shroud" uh..i mean "The Cloud" and then the Wiimote will latch onto the bottom to form a laser guidance system for shooting games and a holographic image of Mario will bust out of the 3D screen to bug you whenever new DLC is available!!

I swear, Nintendo has mastered the art of stringing people along with every new idea that come up with, almost as bad as Apple. How many versions of a Nintendo handheld system are there at this point?

G

I wish to only spend $99-$199 on a console, and for the game $20-$30. Now get on it valiant workers of Foxconn!

Thanks.

G

Seriously, Obama is destroying this country with his take from the successful and give to the failures mentality that is driven by his underlying communist beliefs...

Vote out the communist!

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]bloodlust22[/nom]Seriously? It's not the console makers that are holding the industry back, It's the cheap ass consumers that wish not to spend $900 on a gaming console. As another poster mentioned if you want the latest and greatest in PC hardware, then spend $2000 and get the PC. Otherwise if you wish to play on consoles get used to the outdated hardware. The issue is finding the happy medium between price and performance that the masses will buy.[/citation]

Um yes it is :) anyways who the hell has to spend $2000 for the best PC out there? thats not even close. aside from say an x2 video card the best ones go for $350 and thats the most expensive part. the rest isn't going to push it over $1000 unless you go stupid god mode. Hell and then after that for up to a decade depending on what you got all you need is a new video card here and there depending on how much of a graphics whore you are. over time PC gaming with most of our games being on 80% sale on steam is cheaper then a console :)

Besides people nintendo is the gamers console they don't care about the xbox and ps3 they them selves don't see they are competing with them they believe they are in their own gaming league. Im sure the hardware will be more then enough for anything nintendo brings out. Besides i have a 4870 and it plays all my games at triple the playable frame rates at the high settings at 2560x1600 so if they use that card its not weak.

But doesn't matter to me. As long as the new xbox and ps get dx11 so devs will make some decent games based on new tech and not 7 year old console tech.

[citation][nom]warmon6[/nom]Dual core gpu? Tell me when you find one as for as far back as my memory recalls (for about 6 years of computer hardware) there never been such a thing as dual core cpus. [...] rchInDesc=[/citation]

Now here was a great place to not be a a anal retard and use common sense. Instead of ranting about his obvious mistake in words which of course meant dual GPU (it is common for people to call it dual core because of CPU's) You could have instead not been a ass and made a simple realization it was more or less a typo.

[citation][nom]banthracis[/nom]WTH is it with you people who know nothing about ECE coming here and talking like you're an expert?At the least, you could go read some white papers on GPU architecture and learn WTH you're talking about before you spout nonsense. http://www.nvidia.com/content/PDF/ [...] epaper.pdfFYI: a CUDA core is by definition a streaming processor core. GTX 590 has 1000+ streaming processor cores, HD 6990 3000+Idiot.[/citation]

Which has nothing to do with a GPU/CPU core so they were right in the first place. When i see a 3000 core 6990 ill change my mind. But have yet to see a single dual core GPU let alone a 3000 core one. Trying to call a SPU a core is marketing hype.

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Well, it's been around like that for a long time. Just look at the huge flop that was SNK's Neo Geo. Blame the market for not willing to pay $650US ($1,070US in today's money) back in 1990 for a console that easily beat the living crap out of even the SNES. (which wasn't even out at the time!)

[citation][nom]xSpyke[/nom]Then you won't be buying much of anything. Foxconn pretty much has its hands on everything in the electronics industry. Look at the motherboard inside your computer, if there's a Firewire port, then it's most likely made by Foxconn.[/citation]
Yep. Those complaining about Nintendo chosing FoxConn aren't aware that they ALSO assemble the Wii... And the PS3, Xbox 360, any of Apple's devices, many Android phones, etc. So you can't even smugly try to go with one company's competition to avoid FoxConn, since they assemble the products on ALL sides of the market battle.

[citation][nom]phil kizer[/nom]How many versions of a Nintendo handheld system are there at this point?[/citation]
Currently, Nintendo is making/selling four: the DS Lite, DSi, DSi XL, and 3DS. Yes, a pretty wide range, admitedly, though Sony was doing akin to the same with their PSP/PSP Go.

xxsk8er101xx

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Just so you know pretty much everything you buy is made by workers that are treated poorly. Most of the stuff you buy is made in China. Guess where Foxconn is located.

So while you may boycott the Wii 2 because its made in China everything else you buy is made in China.

[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I'm completely missing why I would buy this console. I could build a PC with equal/better specs for $400. And it has wireless Internet/media capabilities.

I'm really disappointed by Nintendo. I was hoping they'd at least serve up something that rivaled the Kinect 360 bundle that's already selling for $300.

gamerk316

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
.I'm completely missing why I would buy this console.

NINTENDO

Nuff said. People will buy the brand, and nothing else.

At the very least, glad it sounds like we're getting an alternative to the wiimote; might actually buy it this time...

Status
Not open for further replies.