Rumor: Wii 2's CPU, Price and Name Revealed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]JustinHD81[/nom]So, sounds like a rehash of the Xbox 360, if these "rumors" are remotely true, I don't know why Nintendo is saddling itself with old tech used by a competitor. why not at least go with a R9xx series gpu as at least these are up to date and could do stereo scopic 3d where the old 7 series wasn't designed for it.....[/citation]

xbox is r500, r700 is vastly superior....especially in a console. The price range is a little high but i think Nintendo realizes that their brand is being hurt by not having good third party games because the Wii was so weak. All the hottest titles are not on the Wii.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
I'm not sure if I'll buy a next gen. console at all, but I'm certainly not going to buy this until there are good 3rd party games for it. I like my Wii (this sounds wrong), but I wouldn't have bought it, if I had known how few good games the system would get.

That said, Sony isn't going to get my money unless they add at least PS3 backwards compatibility (better: PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility.) and rework their controller.
The Dualshock was a great design back in 1998 or whenever it was released, but these days it's just not ergonomic enough especially for big hands.

Microsoft can't even hope to get my money unless they bundle their system with a years supply of hookers and booze.
They don't have a single good exclusive title for the xbox360.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]stingstang[/nom]I'm using a Radeon 4870 right now, and it plays anything at 1080p. You're telling me that the cartoonish games of Nintendo can't cope with that for the next 4-6 years?[/citation]
Well, as long as Nintendo doesn't get serious about graphics, that GPU will do fine. But I don't think that customers will be happy merely with cartoons in the long run. As for 4870, it can't play Metro 2033 at 1080p. You can find more titles if you look!

rohitbaran

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2010
[citation][nom]abottig[/nom]The 360 and PS3 use hardware inferior to an 8800gt. What's your point?[/citation]
My point is that is Nintendo is making a next gen console, then they can add current gen or at least last gen graphics. Xbox 360 and PS3 are anyway 5 years old. When PS3 was released, it used something similar to 7800 GT, which was the last gen at that moment (8xxx series was the current gen). So there is your answer.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]R700? That means the graphic power is similar to Radeon 4870. That is still way too low. So, a next gen console doesn't even have the power of a last gen GPU (considering GF100 and R800 as the last gen). Seriously, console makers are holding the entire gaming industry back.[/citation]

Consoles need to be priced low to achieve mass market penetration. The latest and greatest is reserved only for those willing to pay for a £2K PC. Besides, it's Nintendo, i'm sure whatever MS and Sony have in the works will be a bit more advanced.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Yeah I don't want to buy things made by workers treated so poorly they start jumping off roofs. Nintendo should find another manufacturer to keep some blood off Mario's hands for a change.[/citation]
You might as well buy a console made out of tree bark and corn. Foxconn are virtually everywhere there's an alectronic component. Sadly.

Status
Not open for further replies.