Rumor: Wii U Will Cost Nintendo $180 and Retail for $300

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Unfortunately, I don't see the Wii U wowing the masses. Ever since the Gamecube, Nintendo has slowly been loosing its footing. The future "looks" to be pretty grim for Nintendo to me.

G

So this is Nintendo's thing now, making a gimmicky controller and using last generation hardware to make each hardware sale profitable, but never actually catching up to the competition and relying on the casual noob market and rabid fanboys to buy it.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
If controllers cost Nintendo $50 to make that means they'll retail for $80-100 individually... although it's not like a wiimote+nunchuck was much cheaper.

whyso

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
There better be somthing good in that $180 of parts.

For all naysayers...
There is no way that the wii U will only be as powerful as the xbox 360 or ps3 (thought the 720 or ps4 may be quite a bit stronger).

Build a $1000 computer using the lastest (but best price/performance) technology 5 or 6 years ago.
Build a $1000 computers today using the latest (but best price/performance) technlogy today.

There is no way that the five or 6 year old computer is going to touch the new computers, a $500 computer new computer would still be better than the one that is 6 years old.

A $200 netbook today is faster and more powerful than my 2006 laptop.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
"We understand that people like to dissect graphics and processing power, but the experience of playing will always be more important than raw numbers."

So they still haven't learned that graphics and processing power are often necessary to provide a realistic, immersive gaming experience? Sure, Nintendo can optimize for old, slow processors, but there are other games out there that people spending 300 dollars are going to expect to be able to play and to have them look good (for example, Modern Warfare 3, for all its system requirements (not high), looks like crap on the Wii today).

You can't build a system and expect people to buy it and say "wow" when it's releasing NEW with technology that performed well 8 YEARS AGO.

No wonder Nintendo's got investors worried.
I'd be worried too, if the leaders of my investments were completely out of touch with reality.

mschlenker

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
If it’s at least 720P and runs smoothly it will be fine. The big question is what the tablet can do. I see that as the selling point and it needs to offer some type of gaming portability or it will fail (or so I think).

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So this is Nintendo's thing now, making a gimmicky controller and using last generation hardware to make each hardware sale profitable, but never actually catching up to the competition and relying on the casual noob market and rabid fanboys to buy it.[/citation

First the system is not using last Generation hardware. the CPU is the latest generation Power 7 based from IBM not the old 5to 6 year old Power 4/5 CPU in the 360 the GPU while a generation or 2 slower then current PC offering is more then 4 generation newer then whats in the 360 and far more then that # to whats in the Ps3 the Wii U GPU is based on the R700 from ATI all accounts have siad over the past year

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Meh, Nintendo builds games(and machines) designed for little kids, not hardcore gamers.....
They always have...
To compare their machines to top of the line stuff is kindof unfair, because they are not trying to be top of the line. They are trying to WoW little kids, and it don't take much lol.
I have the xbox, ps3 and the wii, guess what gets the most use? Wii. My daughters beat the hell out of it, and it keeps chugging along thankfully...
My ps3 gets used by my wife once in a while(for ps2 games)... the xbox collects dust....

notuptome2004

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
Hey to the Article Poster Kevin Parrish what you posted was just a rumor and the Whole thing on the un named developers who are saying the Wii U cant keep up or output the same level of graphics is well just plian BS because if there was a real developer who was to have that issue they would speak out and name themselves but there is no developer it is just a Rumor of what 1 maby 2 developers

it make no sense for Nintendo anyways to use hardware that would produce infioror graphics to the 360 or PS3 so anything in that line of the Wii U produces less graphics is just BS

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
"So far developers are painting a bleak picture, reporting that on a graphic level, its output doesn't even match the current levels of the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 -- and it's supposed to be a next-generation console"

I was hearing the opposite of this of last year E3. It's all about the architecture for easy programming. I wonder if those rumored specs for Wii U is true. If its not then i can see why developers would say so about not being able to match current consoles. probably this is a hint that the rumor specs of the Wii U is a lie? Since developers have dev kits and dev tools ahead of release to make their games.

erunion

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Of course Nintendo really knows that game play advancements require hardware advancements, they are just betting on the controller.

I think them selling the console for a profit really signals that they don't expect a long system life. They are trying to grab cash before the (real) next gens come.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Media sensationalism at it's best. R&D takes a huge chunk out of that $120 profit. It may take a long long time before Nintindo sees any real profit from the system... They will most likely see a quick profit on the software though.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]whyso[/nom]For all naysayers...There is no way that the wii U will only be as powerful as the xbox 360 or ps3 (thought the 720 or ps4 may be quite a bit stronger).[/citation]
The people who think the Xbox360 or PS3 is on par with the leaked specs of the Wii U are either noobs, trolls, or teenage fanboys (its amazing how often those three coincide). I still remember when the Wii U hardware specs were first leaked. Some people automatically associated the tri-core IBM CPU in the Wii U to the tri-core IBM CPU in the Xbox 360. They're both tri-core, they're both made by IBM, they must be the same. The Wii U will pack 7 year old tech!... lol.

Unless you guys know something we don't, every rumor/leak I've heard indicates that the Wii U will be quite a bit more powerful than the Xbox360 or PS3. In fact if the latest hardware leaks are to be believed, the Wii U's discrete GPU should be just about on par with the PS4 and next Xbox. Maybe the GPU's in the PS4/next Xbox will just be clocked significantly higher, but at least when comparing their desktop counterparts the HD4870 beats the HD6670/7670 in practically every benchmark out there.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]mschlenker[/nom]If it’s at least 720P and runs smoothly it will be fine.[/citation]
The last I heard it's native gaming resolution is 1080p.

beavermml

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2010
why must almost all people in Toms always compare the hardware? i mean it is useless if it has all the greatest hardware BUT the games sucks.. yes u can all say that graphics is sooo real its look alive and so on but the thing that keeps us on playing the game is its gameplay/storyline.. if u just want to have great graphics.. just go watch some CGI.i mean, i played wii games much more than my ps3 ( collecting dust right now ).. as long as the console provide enjoyable games its okay of the graphic is just 2D... i am waiting for the wiiu to come out and wanted to see what kind of games that take advantage of the new controller.. i mean ever since the ps2 and xbox, new games just seem to prioritize on graphics and graphics and graphics... not on content and gameplay.... pls stop trashing the hardware until the software comes out... people buy consoles not becoz of its graphical powers but for the ease of it.. sure u can build $1000 gaming pc but u also have to setup all the drivers, the OS and bla bla bla while all the console players just need to pop up the DVD/bluray and play...

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]RedYellowBlueBlast[/nom]Unfortunately, I don't see the Wii U wowing the masses. Ever since the Gamecube, Nintendo has slowly been loosing its footing. The future "looks" to be pretty grim for Nintendo to me.[/citation]
If by losing its footing, you mean by having the #1 console this generation and earning an insane amount of money off of it, as opposed to Sony and Microsoft. Who will save them from all of the money?

And can everyone stop calling the next Xbox "720"? Stupidest name ever, and I haven't seen it called that anywhere except this site.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
If anyone seriously thinks the PS3 or 360 is more powerful than the Wii U you really need to check your facts, even using last generation (By PC standards) graphics hardware, that still puts the new Wii at a minimum 2-3x improvement over the PS3/360 in terms of raw graphics performance.

Will it be slower than the PS4/720, sure it will be, but it's also going to be on the market over a year in advance of those systems so it will have a years worth of sales with no competition.

techy74

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
My concern is; how kid friendly is that screen built in the controller? How many cracked screens will there be after the controller gets dropped or bumped?

Nintendo should do well with it's WIIU Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario ect... If it can get new fans is another story.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]So this is Nintendo's thing now, making a gimmicky controller and using last generation hardware to make each hardware sale profitable, but never actually catching up to the competition and relying on the casual noob market and rabid fanboys to buy it.[/citation]

If you take the rumored specs for all 3 major companies, Nintendo will be in the ballpark with the Wii U unlike the Wii was with the PS360, similar to how the PS2 was with the GC and Xbox 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.