Rumor: Xbox 720 and PS4 Appearing at E3 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
@Invisible_Jester89
I have to disagree, consoles can be repaired and tweaked just as PCs can, beoza.[/citation]

Aparently you didnt read what I said "you can upgrade and tweak your hardware every time something new comes out". That last part is the key "every time something new comes out" you can upgrade a PC. Cant do that on a console now can ya? There's a very big difference between modding a console and upgrading a PC. For one modding a console voids your warranty whereas it doesnt on a PC. Two modding a console you can only do so much, things like CPU, Ram, Video chips are all integrated into the circuit board, PC's these are seperate components.

Consoles are supposed to last a specified time? Have to disagree there too, sorry.

What part of this do you not understand "Consoles are designed to last a specified amount of time with a given hardware spec," What I meant and was referring to was a consoles life span, you know that specified time between a consoles launch and when they bring out something new. Sorry if I didnt make that any clearer before. Sure consoles last a lot longer than they make games for them, heck I have an old Atari 2600 floating around somewhere that still works. And the connections change on the TV? I have a 32 HD TV that has co-ax, RCA, S-VHS, Component, and 4 HDMI ports on it plus USB, I can hook all of my consoles if I wanted, I don't watch TV on it it's just a gaming TV, and it supports 1080p/i. No I dont need bigger 32" works just fine, tried on my 46" and the jaggies become more noticeable.

By the way I grew up with those early consoles like the Atari. My first console can be seen here http://www.pinkgorillagames.com/retro_reviews/atari_pong_1975.php It's the last image before the youtube videos called Atari Ultra PONG Doubles, The Sears Tele-Games version is called Pong Sports IV, which is what I still have and it still works. You younger people should feel lucky you didnt grow up hearing sounds like that Atari guitar Toms had a story on produced.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
I can agree with the points beoza is trying to make. Another topic to worry about is what happens when your older consoles break and you can't ever play the games for it again? I see that as the biggest problem.

dizzy_davidh

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
[citation][nom]thor220[/nom]I can agree with the points beoza is trying to make. Another topic to worry about is what happens when your older consoles break and you can't ever play the games for it again? I see that as the biggest problem.[/citation]

...or when a manufacturer stops providing the service for game they now deem redundant and turn off the servers (online play games of course). At least with my old Atari 2600 (yep, I still have mine too!) i can play it as long as I have means of hookin up it's coax lead to my TV somehow.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Totally agree with you on that one Djhg2000. New consoles should be completely backwards compatible with their older systems. If a group of individuals can create emulators for the pc that run nearly 99% of the games for a given system with virtually 0 glitches then the OEM company should be able to make their systems 100% compatible. After all it's their frickin hardware to begin with. If you cant figure it out then get someone who can Sony!

Manos

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
Sony never learns their lesson according to history and keep releasing one platform after the other not worth its money for weel over a year or two. I can see me buying on release date a new xbox but not a PS console unless ofc Sony finally releases a console based on games and not on what I wanna pay for ( aka Blu-Ray ). Yeah MS is foccused currently on making it a damn entertainment center but Im purely talking about release value.

Don't get me wrong, im a nut PC gamer ( and high end hardware lover :/ ) but owning a 360 since day one and a ps3 for almost 2 years isnt something id change ( well the PS3 is for exclusives only since only and multiplatforms suck on it.. Means I have it only for like 3-4 IPs :S )

I can see a new xbox announcement but a PS console would be kinda stupid since Sony will surely take the least a year longer for a new PS. That's purely according to math and whats best for their wallets ofc. Than again I can remember how many years before release Sony was teasing all the retards that had nbo clue about gaming than what Sony showed them believing that even that famous FFVII remake video was real. So funny... Xbox still sells like crazy and so does the PS3 nowmore so I can see an xbox released in 2 years or 2013 fall and a PS4 a year later.

Personally? I would love a new console to be released Monday morning and go buy it. I need to buy me something new to play till i go to sleep since I play Swtor and Skyrim from work all night long :p

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
Unless these so called next generation consoles are going to bring true virtual reality to the masses I can't find anything interesting in rehashing the same god damn concept since the NES was released when I was a little kid. Nintendo seems to be the only one actually interested in innovating the way people play games while Microsoft and Sony are basically just creating dumbed down PCs with a controller.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
[citation]So basically you think that they will be the exact same machine, just different branding? I would be flabbergasted if both machines used the same hardware manufacturers. I have to believe they wouldn't that to happen. I'm sure MS has signed an exclusive contract with ATI for this GPU to give them a competitive edge. I could be wrong but it's hard to believe otherwise.[/citation]

Same manufacturer yes, same end product? No. IBM manufactured both the 3-core power PC for the 360 and the 7 core cell processor for the PS3. Two completely different architectures, but from the same supplier.

ATI has proven themselves in the console market. Nintendo is going on 3 generations with ATI now, and MS bailed on nvidia after the original xbox in favor of ATI. Sony may stick with nvidia, but I highly doubt it.

ATI, in the console market has a better track record and frankly more experience than nvidia. So I really wouldn't be suprised to see all 3 consoles this generation go ATI... Nintendo and MS are pretty much a guarantee.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
Mainly what I wanna see from Sony is a redesign of their analog sticks. Once that rubberized grip crap starts wearing down they become slicker that sh--! And that curved shape on top doesn't help matters. And Sony...quit telling me my PS3 "only does everything", it wont do my homework for my computer IT classes, or make me a cheese burger!

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I doubt they come out @ 2013 with have the same level of performance as a high end PC in 2013.... oh wait. I should say 2012....oh wait 2011?

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
They should just do what Google is doing with Chrome and call it Xbox 12000, then every 4 months re-release the same thing but with a higher number to make people think it's different.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
The 360 name kind of made sense. 720 would be kind of dumb. I have no idea what they may call it... But I'm betting 99% that it WON'T be 720.

Djhg2000

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]They should just do what Google is doing with Chrome and call it Xbox 12000, then every 4 months re-release the same thing but with a higher number to make people think it's different.[/citation]

Just because you don't see the difference doesn't mean it isn't there.

toorudez

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2002
Does this mean that finally they'll drop the "Next Gen" description from the 360 and PS3? And then we'll be stuck with the new "Next Gen" consoles for another 10 years?

G

Let's hope Those consoles have badass upgrades for our (PC's) sake

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]drwho1[/nom]They should allow for cross-platform online gaming between PS4/Xbox720.(as long as they are the same titles, many of which are simply just ported to the other console(s))I know this won't happen, but I can dream of multi-platform online gaming.[/citation]
They already did for the final fantasy 11 (PC, PS, and Xbox360 all together). But you are right, I really wish we can have more of something like that.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I've been a PS3 user for nearly five years and on my second one as the fat boy crapped out just two years into usage (the original fat boy had a high failure rate of the optical laser). Now it appears some people's slims are dying on them. My of my online buddies is on his FOURTH PS3 (two dead fats, one dead slim).

All I can say is that Sony better not make a repeat of the inherent faulty design of the PS3 optical system. If my current Slim dies, I will not be buying another. That will suck considering I've spent over a grand in games alone that are next to worthless on trade in value. It would be back to full time PC gaming for me and never another console - PS4 or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.