Rumored Kindle Fire HD Specs Sound Amazing

Status
Not open for further replies.

comedie

Honorable
Jul 19, 2012
No memory slot means it is useless to me for serving up media for me when I travel, since there is no wifi/internet available. Nook is best thing out there for that, with 96GB total on mine now. Most of these tablets have no memory slot, which is pretty dumb I think.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
Reason they don't have additional memory slots is memory put into devices tends to be dramatically slower than in-built memory which cause the average user to think the device isn't good instead of the memory being used.

On the business side its about margins.

New SD cards are out with +250MB read/write which may lead to addressing the first point but not the second.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
I do not know how Android vendors can keep the price of high spec devices so low. If Microsoft still cannot wake up to the fact that Office means nothing when comparing with such a low price, high spec devices, and start offering cheap device at similar price range, they will always be a distant number 3 player in mobile space for the foreseeable future. And with that, it will not bode well for their alliance with Nokia.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
So S800 can't do 2.3ghz in a tablet?

Also, at 2560x1600 gaming on the 8.9 is a no go, just like my dad's nexus 10. They should make tablets 1920x1200 or 1080p. What a waste. Fonts are so stinking small I can't read them in games on my dad's nexus and i have 20/15 vision...LOL. I'm guessing the same can be said about 1920x1200 on a 7in. But I guess these things are for reading or videos so maybe it doesn't matter. Google needs to get on the bandwagon and release an OS that you can change resolutions in (like set a nexus 10 to 720p for a game or something). Until they get resolutions working (other than native only) gaming will be hurt on these things. Avernum/Avadon for instance play in puny windows and are unreadable.

TeKEffect

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
"No memory slot means it is useless to me for serving up media for me when I travel, since there is no wifi/internet available. Nook is best thing out there for that, with 96GB total on mine now. Most of these tablets have no memory slot, which is pretty dumb I think."

96GB on a tablet. I think you might be the minority.

quotas47

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I'd like to say, I don't think there's any need to have a screen resolution over 1920x1080 or at most 1920x1200.

These devices are for media consumption, right? Photos will look fine, and all the video media will be formatted for 1080p, so anything higher is excessive.
Keep in mind too, the higher the resolution, the harder the graphics chipset has to work for animations.

AND as somebodyspecial said, text gets very granular, hard to read for some people. High detail is great, but the higher resolution you get, the more you have to customize the fonts to be readable.

Caveats aside, more for the same price or less and improvement is never a bad thing. If the companies keep their entire target audience in mind, every generation they release will do very well.

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Any chance of getting a 2560 x 1600 20-25ish inch monitor anytime soon for around the cost of one of these tablets? If so I'll take 3.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
eklipz330 ofcourse it is closed, that is the reason for "low" price. Amazon devises are for amazon content... Othervise very nice device for reading books if the screen is otherwise good allso.

Status
Not open for further replies.