Solved! Running HDMI from PC to soundbar to TV

ItsJustDag

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
Just got a new Samsung soudbar. My TV only has LR audio output but it's a 5.1 soundbar so an option I have is to unplug the HDMI from my TV and put it into the soundbar and then use a second cord to connect the soundbar and TV. If I run this cord through, will my bandwidth be throttled? I have a 4k 60fps setup but will that be throttled to 30fps or add a lot of delay? I know that I had an old HDMI adapter that limited 4k to 30 but I don't know if this works the same way. Thanks for any help.

Solution
I have kinda the same issue. I have a 5.1 surround receiver that doesnt support 4k passthrough. I tried pretty much everything under the sun to get it to work.
My best option was to run a second hdmi for sound. I have an hdmi going from my 1080ti to my tv. Then I have a second hdmi going from my motherboard to my receiver.
In the play back device sound options (right click bottom right sound icon on desktop) make your sound bar the default sound.
The double hdmi kinda acts like a second screen with no screen. Sometime I have to reset the primary screen. But other than that it works well.
Unless you have an ARC hdmi out from you're tv or a optical out (providing your soundbar has optical). This is the best way to get it to work.

brandxbeer

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2014
I have kinda the same issue. I have a 5.1 surround receiver that doesnt support 4k passthrough. I tried pretty much everything under the sun to get it to work.
My best option was to run a second hdmi for sound. I have an hdmi going from my 1080ti to my tv. Then I have a second hdmi going from my motherboard to my receiver.
In the play back device sound options (right click bottom right sound icon on desktop) make your sound bar the default sound.
The double hdmi kinda acts like a second screen with no screen. Sometime I have to reset the primary screen. But other than that it works well.
Unless you have an ARC hdmi out from you're tv or a optical out (providing your soundbar has optical). This is the best way to get it to work.

Solution

robert600

Distinguished
Yes, I agree with 'brandxbeer' - you do NOT want to feed the TV from your soundbar to the TV - you will lose your 4K. The best option is, as he suggests, to run separate hdmis from your pc to both the sound bar and the tv (if your pc has only 1 hdmi out there are splitters made for this.

If your pc has spdif out and your soundbar has spdif in, another option would be to run hdmi to your TV and spdif to your soundbar.

ItsJustDag

Commendable
Jan 1, 2017
As far as I'm concerned throwing money at a problem should solve it. Thanks Sony. A $1,000 soundbar doesn't have high-speed HDMI capability? I guess i can get a Bluetooth adapter for the PC or something. Whatever the solution is, I'll make sure to post it here so that someone doesn't end up finding this thread on Google with no solution.