Russia Spending Billions to Clean Up Space Junk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
Hah, I'm shocked Russia is the first one to jump on this HUGE problem we have created for ourselves. Glad to see them step up too.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Pretty embarrassing for the U.S. to have other countries make more of an effort to clear the space junk considering a vast uneven amount of satellites are ours. Good job Russia, unless Mother Russia has other plans lol.

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
WHOA WHOA WHOA WHOA!
Hold on here. The pod will grab the space junks and toss it into the ocean...? You mean leaving it in the ocean with a bunch of unknown lifeforms is better than leaving it in orbit not really doing anything? How about we grab stuff we know will burn in the atmosphere then save the big stuff for hurling at other planets or the sun instead of giving it a chance to accidentally crash into a city.

G

will it clean also perfectly functioning US military spy satellites? same routine: ocean or burning in the atmosphere?

TheRockMonsi

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2010
[citation][nom]bison88[/nom]Good job Russia, unless Mother Russia has other plans lol.[/citation]

They probably do...

[citation][nom]theshonen8899[/nom] How about we grab stuff we know will burn in the atmosphere then save the big stuff for hurling at other planets or the sun instead of giving it a chance to accidentally crash into a city.[/citation]

Yes, accidentally, that's exactly what they want you to think.

[citation][nom]staysmart[/nom]will it clean also perfectly functioning US military spy satellites? same routine: ocean or burning in the atmosphere?[/citation]

Looks like some guys here are catching on. ;)

tubers

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
It's a trick! It's the drone is gonna use as cannon balls to throw at other nations! xD

Kidding xD I always thought those space debris can be used as some atmospheric protection LOL

Go Russia! Thanks for the clean up. 2 bill a pop.. damn... they must have other plans other than just cleaning.,.

drapple

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2010
Hmm nuclear powered satellites flying around sounds pretty scary to me. Assuming they don't have ulterior motives what happens if it has an accident taking off and what happens when it becomes space junk - crash a nuclear powered satellite back to earth?

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The only thing that worried me is the nuclear powered part. The US didn't go forth with the Orion project because of the political pressure against putting anything nuclear over the country or up into space. What would happen should there be a "problem"?

fonzy

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2005
I'm really sure Russia is going to spend billions cleaning up garbage with a nuclear powered pod for the benefit of man kind.

I'm sure this has more to do with the missile shield the U.S is putting up than anything else,it could also have something to do with the largest U.S spy satellite the government put into space last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.