Russian Businessman Tries to Patent ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

looks like its time for me to go and patent every remaining emoticon and sue for millions every time someone uses one. And while im at it, I'll patent that air stuff too...

G

How can people be so stupid ?
Can't you see that his only intention was to get free publicity.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Ironic, that the emoticon cannot be trademarked/patented, but the Smiley Face, the original "emoticon", was trademarked (though I don't know if it was in Russia).

By the way has anyone trademarked-patented this yet: ( . )( . ) ? (really, it's just eyes, what did you think it was?) It probably isn't even spaced out right in the non-mono-spaced font used by these comments.

fjabad

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
The title of this article is misleading. A Patent and a Trademark are two different things. It should read "Russian Businessman Tries to Trademark ;-)"

gwellin

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
I just figured it all out. I would bet that this Tycoon is behind the brains to EA's DRM. The root files it installs is actually a monitoring service that watches for when you now type :) or :-( and whenever you do your bank account is automatically withdrawl $1 each time. Dammit I just lost 2 more bucks to EA. Curse you Spore :0 ...now it's 3 bucks.

G

Re "“Russia’s patent authority, Rospatent, has ruled that the smiley graphic cannot be registered as a trademark." - that's wrong. RUPTO did granted him the trademark - see PDF of the registered mark here:
http://russianpatentsblog.patentsfromru.com/2008/12/14/russian-patent-service-says-yes-to-trademarking/

- the mark IS registered, and Teterin only has to pay registration fee to get the certificate.

that_aznpride101

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2005
[citation][nom]Alan87[/nom]Re "“Russia’s patent authority, Rospatent, has ruled that the smiley graphic cannot be registered as a trademark." - that's wrong. RUPTO did granted him the trademark - see PDF of the registered mark here:http://russianpatentsblog.patentsf [...] demarking/- the mark IS registered, and Teterin only has to pay registration fee to get the certificate.[/citation]

If the above is correct, where the heck did the author Jane McEntegart get her info??

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's already a part of Americana pop culture. That's like trying to copyright the original Happy Birthday song. Get real, man.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]ck159[/nom][/citation]

Actually, I invented music and dancing. So if you do either Imma sue you. I can't prove it, and everyone (including AOL) was doing it before I was...but still, it's completely my idea.

royalcrown

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
We just patented AIR (not limited to but including NITROGEN and OXYGEN)...so pay up all you breathers ! We also invented SCO, who invented Linux.

Sincerely,
Rambus

Status
Not open for further replies.