S3 mini(Android dual core phone)-browser, games, & stuff.(simple questions)

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Hi all.

I'm looking to get a Galaxy S3 mini or similar dual core Android (the S4 mini isn't out yet). I was worried about not getting a S4, but something smaller/ lower specs may be good enough.

What is the browsing like on the S3 mini? I currently have a Nokia Symbian phone and the web-browsing is crap (to put it nicely). The Nokia browser is made for mobile sites ONLY and can't load desktop sites - or takes like 10 mins to load. I'm sure the S3 and S4 have no trouble browsing in desktop mode. So is the S3 mini the same as the s3/s4 in this way (except for the smaller 480p res)?

I will want to use the phone for long airplane rides for example. Games like Angry Birds, "Gears of War", or word puzzle type games will bore me in < 30 mins. Arma 3 isn't in the cards, but is there some turn-based strategy type game? Something like Galactic Civilizations 2, Pharaoh, StarCraft, or old-style 2D "Dungeon" game will be great. I also think I won't need ultra-high-end mobile graphics for turn-based games - so the "mini" is good enough?

Also guessing 1 gig RAM/ 8 gigs storage, and dual-core phones are also plenty good for Google Maps, Mp4 1080p video-OUT, mobile office, etc.
I was worried about the small 480p screen, but are all these specs good enough for what I described?

Do I need also to worry about 4G LTE connections for what I described? I like/need speed, but I will only web-browse on the phone about once/twice a day.

I'm just looking for simple answers.
thanks!

EDIT:
Two more things I need are Video Skype and Remote Desktop - to my home/office PC. Again, no problem?

Solution
For what you described the S3 mini would suffice. Though for the money, you can get roughly equal performance for a few dollars less if you go with a Google Nexus.

Sorry for the lack of replies - this area of the forums isn't nearly as active as the rest of the site, unfortunately. We also get hit by a lot of spam, and people who can't be bothered to read the rules to know what not to ask for help with here. As such, a lot of the time threads like this can become buried before they are responded to. I try my best to keep on top of this area of the forum, personally, but I can't always guarantee a speedy response to every single post.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
No replies?
I think there may be too many questions in one post. I'll re-write the whole thing. From what I read, if I care about Skype video and Remote Desktop, I'll need the 4G - so the S3 mini is out of the picture.

adity8522

Honorable
Jan 18, 2013
Hey, You will barely get answers to mobility type of question specially related to Android. Very few members are there who give answers to this type of question. I also posted two questions related to one of a laptop and one of an android mini pc. None of them got even a single reply. :(
You should as these type of questions here :
www.android.stackexchange.com

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
For what you described the S3 mini would suffice. Though for the money, you can get roughly equal performance for a few dollars less if you go with a Google Nexus.

Sorry for the lack of replies - this area of the forums isn't nearly as active as the rest of the site, unfortunately. We also get hit by a lot of spam, and people who can't be bothered to read the rules to know what not to ask for help with here. As such, a lot of the time threads like this can become buried before they are responded to. I try my best to keep on top of this area of the forum, personally, but I can't always guarantee a speedy response to every single post.

Solution

Apanzee

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
The best thing I can recommend to you is to re-post.

If you ever make a post and don't get a response within a few days (3-5), post again.

Bumping is against the rules as this can prevent other users with issues from having their post seen at all. It also makes moderation more difficult because spam posts and the like get buried in a hurry that way. Nothing is stopping you from re-posting though.

Anyway, like I said, the S3 mini should more than suffice. Though, if you absolutely need LTE, get a regular old S3. TBH though, I doubt you'd notice too much of a difference between 3G and LTE for Skype/remote desktop. The minimum requirements for either are far beyond available on a 3G connection.