hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
On my previous computer, I used a bandwidth monitoring program called Networx. However, that computer developed a crippling problem (the main hard drive locking up at random, unpredictable intervals). I had the computer tested, and the problem coudn't be identified, except that the hard drive was apparently not the issue. To this day, the issue still hasn't been identified.

I can't rule out Networx as a possible cause, as it installs a driver during installation. But I need a good bandwidth monitoring program for my new computer (my ISP takes three days to update my bandwidth usage information).

Does anyone know a good, safe bandwidth monitoring program, especially one that doesn't install drivers?

Solution

If it installed anything then by definition it wouldn't be portable.

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
But it only shows data usage from the past 30 days at any given time. I need something that I can set to show how much data I have used by a customizable time each month (the 28th, to be precise, as that is the end of my ISP's monthly usage cycle).

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

I used the installer. I'm not sure if there was a portable version back when I installed it. It appears that Networx has switched from a free program to paid one since I used it. Maybe the portable version came along with that change. It wasn't until I read your post that I found out that there was a portable version.

I don't see how a portable version would work well. It seems that I would have to manually start it every time I started my computer.

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

But does the portable version install any drivers to the computer when it first runs?

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009

If it installed anything then by definition it wouldn't be portable.

Solution

hbenthow

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014

Thank you for the information. I think I'll use the portable version for the time being.