Safe cpu temps for core i7 2670q

FullFledgedFox

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
I dont really know much about computers but i was curious how hot my laptop can get before it starts throttling. With three tabs open with skype and steam my cpu is at 17.8% load with the temps around 80 to 90 degrees celsius. My laptop is an Asus N53SV.

Solution
FullFledgedFox,

Welcome to Tom's!

Throttle temperature for your i7 2670QM is 100C: http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Make sure you can hear the fan cycling on and off. You might want inspect the intake and exhaust ports for dust, as your Core temperatures are too hot for such a light load.

With the room lights off, shine a strong light into the intake port on the bottom of the laptop while looking into the exhaust port on the side. If there's dust clogging the cooler fins, you'll see it.

Use a can of compressed air to blow into the exhaust port to 'backflush" the dust out the intake port. If your laptop is often left running 24/7, depending on the environment, it may...

CompuTronix

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
FullFledgedFox,

Welcome to Tom's!

Throttle temperature for your i7 2670QM is 100C: http://ark.intel.com/products/53469/Intel-Core-i7-2670QM-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

Make sure you can hear the fan cycling on and off. You might want inspect the intake and exhaust ports for dust, as your Core temperatures are too hot for such a light load.

With the room lights off, shine a strong light into the intake port on the bottom of the laptop while looking into the exhaust port on the side. If there's dust clogging the cooler fins, you'll see it.

Use a can of compressed air to blow into the exhaust port to 'backflush" the dust out the intake port. If your laptop is often left running 24/7, depending on the environment, it may accumulate a significant amount of dust, which over time, will severely decrease the effectiveness of the cooler.

CT :sol:

Solution

FullFledgedFox

Estimable
Jul 24, 2015
I just looked at my intake and exhaust ports and there doesn't appear that there is any dust and another question that goes with this is how long would this last at this heat level? My environment right now is hawaii on the hilo side

CompuTronix

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2006
Northeast shore of the big island. :D

Core temperatures follow ambient temperature up and down, so ambient is critical to cooling. The longevity of electronics is affected by environmental conditions such as salt air and heat. I can't give you exact figures, but Intel processors are very durable. That being said, the cooler you keep it, the longer it'll last. Let's hope it's replaced due to obsolescence before it ever fails.

CT :sol:

greystoke

Prominent
Mar 18, 2017
turn that can of compressed air on a slight angle and you release refrigerant which has the potential to kill your laptop or computer. Any computer repair facility must have an ESD compliant (anti-static) dust cleaner with strength of airflow not exceeding the recommended levels other the air itself will create static.