Safe temperature

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Hi there, is 50c-60c temp when browsing and streaming videos are safe?

here are my spec

i5-480m 2.67 ghz
3gb ram
ati 5470 hd

my laptop idle temp is 50c.. and if i play game, sometimes the temp can reach 87c-90c!, and when i stream some movies, the temp sometime reach 70c, but if watch movie the lowest temp is 48c. is these temperature safe? because i read it somewhere if the temperature to high i can burn my cpu, and also my graphic card.
and is the temperature of the room also affect the temperature of the laptop?

thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad english :)

Solution
Those temperatures are safe. The highest gaming temps are edging into an area where you'd prefer not to see them go. Try saving your gaming adventures for the evening or during cooler parts of the day.

Yes, the temperature of the room does affect the overall system temps. You can test that yourself. Measure temps during a warm day and again during a cool night.
Those temperatures are safe. The highest gaming temps are edging into an area where you'd prefer not to see them go. Try saving your gaming adventures for the evening or during cooler parts of the day.

Yes, the temperature of the room does affect the overall system temps. You can test that yourself. Measure temps during a warm day and again during a cool night.

Solution

terryd75

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012

I agree completely with what WR2 said. Those temps are getting to the extreme edge when they are 90 c. Did you know that 90 c is 194 degrees f? That is pretty darn hot! I would not operate my laptop at that temp. It will slowly kill it. Have you tried getting a laptop cooler? You know, one of those tablets that your laptop can sit on. They have fans and help cool the laptop. They are cheap, and will help a little.

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

yes i did clean the vent with compressed air last month, because previously if i play total war shogun 2 the temp reach 100c, but after i blow the vent, it reduces to 80c max

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

yes, i had this belkin cooling pad, but the strange thing is that the laptop is cooler without cooling pad, when i play game on the desk w/o cooling pad, its seems fine, but when i play with cooling pad, after 1 hr the fps starts to drop because of heat and the cpu throttling down..

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

yeah, i always stop playing when the base start to get really hot, but auto shutdown never happened to me

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

excuse me, but can you explain why the cooling pad fights against the cooling system? thanks

You were getting close to shut down.
You probably want to shut down before the CPU throttles due to temps.
If you can figure out at what outside temps run the risk of throttling - you can probably avoid getting to that throttle point.

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

now the laptop is fine, even if i play for 2-3 hrs, there is no sign of throttling down, but previously, when i play game for 20 mins, its starts to lagging like crazy... but now its ok

oveeseregor

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

if i change the power plan from balanced to high performance, is it also going to increase the temp?