Safety Board Recommends Total Cell Phone Ban for Drivers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I love this downvoting as a knee jerk reaction by people. If you want to down vote, fine, but at least have the courage to back up your downvote by explaining it.

Explain how talking hands free on a cell phone is more dangerous than talking to a passenger in a vehicle? You are still carrying on a conversation, but human nature has as reflexively look at someone we are talking to in person from time to time. So if you support a blanket ban on cell phone usage, which includes the use of hands free equipment, then explain how talking to the same person who is instead in the vehicle is any safer.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]inxane[/nom]I'd read that article and watch some researched documentaries before making yet another ill educated comment. Link your sources pls? Hell.. here's one for ya.. goodluckhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5-jrzNjI4[/citation]
Because I do not subscribe to something that you have bought into does not make me "illeducated" (no such word, by the way). Typical pretentious, pseudo-intellectual trying to sound superior to everyone else. Save it for your easily impressed friends, I'm not interested.

inxane

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
still no sour[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]Because I do not subscribe to something that you have bought into does not make me "illeducated" (no such word, by the way). Typical pretentious, pseudo-intellectual trying to sound superior to everyone else. Save it for your easily impressed friends, I'm not interested.[/citation]

If anyone here has pseudo-intellect sir, it's you. If can't even back up your claims, pathetic.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
1. It clearly states that it does not apply to hands free units built in to a car. Most of them can be activated by steering wheel controls now and is a one button press to answer a call. To make a call is the same using voice dialing.

A distracted driver by-law was just passed in my city a few months ago. It includes everything from food to phones but does allow for anything that can be operated with one button press, including any type of hands free (not limited to built in). Bans all food eating but allows for drinking.

Basically, if it requires you to take your eyes off the road then it is banned. Hopefully, most of us can use our standard radio controls without looking away from the road....

G

Personally, I would rather see them raise the minimum passing grade for the drivers test. As well as mandate courses/tests for wet weather driving and emergency maneuvers.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]inxane[/nom]still no sourIf anyone here has pseudo-intellect sir, it's you. If can't even back up your claims, pathetic.[/citation]
Says the man who first resorted to ad hominem attacks.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Number one distraction in cars are children on back seats. They should ban them, too.
Hell, nobody should ever be allowed to have any passengers in their vehicles, period.
This will be as effective as prohibition.
Banning any use other than via hands-free should be enforced, but going to the extreme of banning ALL use is just stupid and will never fly.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]inxane[/nom]I'd read that article and watch some researched documentaries before making yet another ill educated comment. Link your sources pls? Hell.. here's one for ya.. goodluckhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r5-jrzNjI4[/citation]
thats making you play a find my picture and count, and the same time count how many times you are hearing the word magic.

try counting, and listening to someone shout random numbers, not exactly fun.

let me give you a counter example, why hands free cell use should be allowed.

how many fatal school buss crashes are there a year, for the people on the buss or other drivers?

we have all ridden a school buss, people in the back are jumping, people are all talking, to the point that its an aggravating noise.

now how hard is it to hold a conversation with the person driving when you are both in the car?

if this passes and is enforced, ill start a grass roots campaign to make it illegal for cars to be designed for more than 1 person, as you are too distracted.

[citation][nom]afrubin[/nom]The point I believe he was making is that when we multi-task we do all the things we are doing in a FAR less efficient/effective manner. Driving well takes a lot of concentration, the moment you take away from it it causes deadly accidents. I am fine with this 'blanket decision' because people suck at driving as is. The more we do to limit people's distractions the better off we all are. Driving a car or not driving a car is a decision, but when it comes to doing something so dangerous (driving what could be a couple thousand pound death machine) there should be rules like this.[/citation]

driveing isnt a decision, at least when you dont live in a city, you want to go to work, its a 50~ mile drive, you want to go to the store, thats a 10 mile drive, school (collage) is about 20 miles from where i live.

driveing where i live isnt a choice.

and laws shouldn't be put into place for the worst drivers, they should only effect the competent.

---------------------------

im 24, so it doesnt effect me any more, thought i should point that out.

the government needs to stop babying us. now lets take drinking age as an example. in other countries its socialy acceptable to drink from a very young age, and they tend to be far more mature about it, but here, we baby people till they are 21 and than they do what? binge, and many typically drink like there is no tomorrow. instead of learning in a more controlled environment about drinking, at 21 they let you in buy what you want and if you drink to death, so what.

to me this just feels like more of the government wanting to babysit us.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]lamorpa[/nom]Ban the cars themselves. They're the things that do the real damage![/citation]
No the man behind the wheel is the one to blame.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
I came across a guy yesterday morning at 8:20AM while heading to work. I came from south bound I-25 onto E-470 (southern Denver area, Colorado) heading from a 65mph highway onto a 75mph highway. He merged in front of me from I-25 north bound onto E-470, doing 55. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. He moves over to the middle lane (I assume he was heading for the airport, as that is a common route from Castle Rock to DIA) still doing 55, cutting off another driver that came in from another angle. I decide to use that time to accelerate and pass him before I get hit from someone else he cuts off. He's shuffling papers, talking on his bluetooth earpiece, and totally not paying attention to driving.

In this case, it's not necessarily the bluetooth earpiece that is the main cause of the problem. the problem is that this idiot can't handle talking on the phone and driving at the same time. This business should have been done at home or in his office, or it should wait for later. It should NOT be done while driving. His business isn't worth someone else's life. The man should be banned from driving. I don't care how important he thinks he is.

ivyanev

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
and would apply equally to hands-free phone accessories as well as to standard phone-in-hand use
Car manufacturers are paying big bucks for that law.Hands free is cheap ,even the bluetooth ones. Build in stereo with bluetooth costs alot. I agree that talking with people can be distracting while driving ,but passangers can't be baned talking so. the recommendation isnt fair

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The issue is not a lack of laws, it's a lack of enforcement. People still use cell phones while driving in areas where it's illegal. They will also speed up on a yellow light, drive into a crosswalk to turn, turn without signaling, maintain speed through a school zone, etc. There aren't enough police in the entire state of California to enforce the traffic laws of L.A. alone. People drive with a complete disregard for other drivers or pedestrians, assuming any accidents are just a matter of calling the insurance company. A mere inconvenience in their busy day.

Let's put it in computer enthusiast terms. The human brain is a single core processor. You can run numerous tasks in the foreground and background, but you are only processing one thing at a time. The task of driving a car is a multiprocess application and very CPU intensive. Some processors are better than others, but generally it's a bad idea to run another CPU intensive process while running "driving". Activities like listening to a radio are not intense, but cell phone conversations can be. Radio acts like background noise, but a conversation with another person requires attention to what's said. There are also situations like driving along the highway where you can put that process in the background, but in any case, you're risking a crash running too many apps at once.

In the end, I disagree with the law, the current ones aren't even enforced well enough. Humans have the capability to use a hands free set under the right circumstances, they just don't have the proper judgement to decide what those circumstances are. It doesn't matter how awesome a driver you are, follow the law. The consequences could be taking another person's life because of your overestimation. It isn't worth it to take a life to tell your sister about how someone at work was a jerk to you.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]applefairyboy[/nom]I get distracted by all the advertisements and billboards on the highway, are they gonna ban those too? I think not.[/citation]

I wish they would...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]waylander[/nom]1. It clearly states that it does not apply to hands free units built in to a car. Most of them can be activated by steering wheel controls now and is a one button press to answer a call. To make a call is the same using voice dialing.A distracted driver by-law was just passed in my city a few months ago. It includes everything from food to phones but does allow for anything that can be operated with one button press, including any type of hands free (not limited to built in). Bans all food eating but allows for drinking.Basically, if it requires you to take your eyes off the road then it is banned. Hopefully, most of us can use our standard radio controls without looking away from the road....[/citation]
"If the states heed this advice, the ban would apply to everything except for emergency calls, and would apply equally to hands-free phone accessories as well as to standard phone-in-hand use."

Sorry, but you need to read that sentence very carefully. It clearly DOES say even hands free talking would be banned.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]I came across a guy yesterday morning at 8:20AM while heading to work. I came from south bound I-25 onto E-470 (southern Denver area, Colorado) heading from a 65mph highway onto a 75mph highway. He merged in front of me from I-25 north bound onto E-470, doing 55. I had to slam on my brakes to avoid hitting him. He moves over to the middle lane (I assume he was heading for the airport, as that is a common route from Castle Rock to DIA) still doing 55, cutting off another driver that came in from another angle. I decide to use that time to accelerate and pass him before I get hit from someone else he cuts off. He's shuffling papers, talking on his bluetooth earpiece, and totally not paying attention to driving. In this case, it's not necessarily the bluetooth earpiece that is the main cause of the problem. the problem is that this idiot can't handle talking on the phone and driving at the same time. This business should have been done at home or in his office, or it should wait for later. It should NOT be done while driving. His business isn't worth someone else's life. The man should be banned from driving. I don't care how important he thinks he is.[/citation]
I like how you mention he's shuffling papers, but it's the talking you refer to that he can't do while driving ("the problem is that this idiot can't handle talking on the phone and driving at the same time"). So you think someone can concentrate shuffling papers while driving? I would think it would be the paper shuffling and not the talking since shuffling papers requires your eyes to be off the road. Can we please apply some common sense?

dgingeri

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]I like how you mention he's shuffling papers, but it's the talking you refer to that he can't do while driving ("the problem is that this idiot can't handle talking on the phone and driving at the same time"). So you think someone can concentrate shuffling papers while driving? I would think it would be the paper shuffling and not the talking since shuffling papers requires your eyes to be off the road. Can we please apply some common sense?[/citation]

Well, the shuffling papers was obviously part of his phone call, which was idiotic. He shouldn't have even been having the conversation, let alone having that person urge him to look through papers while driving and talking. (I've seen my dad do the same thing, and I got after him for it. He's the same way: should never be allowed to drive and talk on the phone at the same time, regardless of paper shuffling.)

Status
Not open for further replies.