Samsung 5500 blu ray

mring16

Honorable
May 13, 2013
I boughe a new blu ray last week and it will not play on my bluray. Any help as I am new at this.
I also have a problem getting the audio from the tv to the home theate speakers. I have an HDMI cable connected to the tv and blu ray. It plays video and bluray fine, but I cant get normal television on the speakers. The tv is a kogan Thanks

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
The Samsung 5500 Blu-ray player looks to be a couple of years old by now. Unfortunately for home users, Hollywood decides to update newer movies with newer encryption needed to watch those movies, and older players are left unable to play back newer movies as a result. A great example are all of those who bought a Blu-ray player at the same time Avatar was released to Blu-ray, just to find out a brand new movie wouldn't work in many brand new, off the shelf players.

The solution is to update the firmware on your Blu-ray player, if it is determined that is the cause of your difficulty. That will involve contacting Samsung, or navigating to their website, and in the end you will end up with a disc that you insert into your player, which will automatically update the firmware for you.

The most current firmware for the BD-C5500 should be here, and appears to be dated May 08, 2013:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/BD-C5500/XAA

Be aware that an unsuccessful update of your firmware can render your Blu-ray player useless.

mring16

Honorable
May 13, 2013

mring16

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Hi
Thanks for that. You mean that I cannot reverse the firmware once it is updated, and I will be worse off than now?

mring16

bigpinkdragon286

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2012
As Wolfshadw said, the purpose of new firmware for devices is to fix current functionality or add new functionality, not generally to make things worse, however, and Hollywood does reserve the right to, with new firmware, make current movies unplayable, and players useless.

On the plus side, Hollywood has never chosen to implement that feature to the best of my knowledge. From what I've read, the same feature is built into DVD players, but has remained unused. It is hard for Hollywood to sell a self-destruct equipped movie, as we saw with the original, failed Divx format, so the easiest thing to do is not tell customers about it. They claim the reason for the need to disable movies or players is for the case that a particular movie was compromised and the encryption no longer good, they could reissue the movie with new encryption and disable the older one.

As for reversing firmware, it depends. If the manufacturer allows you to install older firmware on a device, you can, otherwise no. Generally there is no need of this. What I was getting at is, if somewhere during the firmware process, which on Blu-ray players can take up to a half-hour, your device is interrupted, perhaps by power outage or a child coming and playing with the device, since you will likely end up with incomplete firmware on your player, your player will no longer function, and in all likelihood be unable to install any firmware at that point to fix the problem. It is a process you need to do when you can be reasonably assured there will be no interruptions of the player.

mring16

Honorable
May 13, 2013

Thanks that helps a lot.

mring16