Samsung 550p power issue

Jshortty1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Hi.
Looking for help with my Samsung 550p laptop.
Occasionally I can plug the charger in and get it to start up, but after logging in, it will turn off and then the charge light won't come on when plugged in anymore. I've tried re seating the ram and ssd. I've also tried different chargers.

Jshortty1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thats what I need to answer now. I have two batteries but I think that ones dead, and the one that 'works' won't charge and will let the computer run for a bit before it gives up. Going to get a new charger and battery just so I can cover all bases. Will update

keep updating on the progress.the battery that is suppose to work is it a spare battery,used or new?

Jshortty1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

The one that is supposed to work is the original battery, it was not the best at holding a charge before so I think that it's at its boiling point. As for the other one, that was a replacement but I think it shorted or something.
I hope I can find a solution so if someone has the same problem, they can figure it out with this.

i say wait for the new battery and charger to arrrive.it can also be the dc jack on the motherboard it self.

Jshortty1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Ok so bit of an update. I got a new battery and charger, still having the same problem. I can have the laptop plugged in and it will 'charge' just enough to start up for a few seconds before it fails. So the laptop isn't supplying the power from the charger to the battery. I opened up the laptop and checked for any "popcorn" capacitors and can't see any. Also can't see anything out of the ordinary. I also reset the cmos battery and that didn't change anything. Hoping someone here can recognize what might be my next step here. Do I replace the DC port?

the dc port is usually cheap.did u catch a glimpse of how many % of the batt remains?

Jshortty1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

If i can get it to boot, the battery is at 0%. However, when I bought the new battery, it came factory charged at about 40% which initially gave me the illusion that it was working, but my computer was just running on the power that came with the battery. Going to order a DC input and replace it and hope that's the problem. Otherwise I could see if theres another way to charge the battery outside of the laptop, or just get a new laptop all together. It's a pretty old computer, but it's still got some great portable specs.

Basically, the laptop works, the battery just isn't being charged.