Samsung 75 LED UN75F6300

Gv137a

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
My tv just developed a dim area on top of the screen
It is from left to right

TV is under 2 years old and out of warrenty

Recently it would not turn on. Contacted samsung and they agreed to have it repaired but we had to pay labour.

The power board was replaced

Now this new issue

Could this be a bad power board?
I have not contacted samsung yet, just wanted to get some info before I call.

We are not very happy with this TV

IMG_0024.JPG

Thank you

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
your set has lost the lighting of one of the LED strips used to backlight the panel. It could be power board problem IF the voltage driver coming from that board is "dead". It could also be a blown LED which takes out the whole "string" much like those "old" xmas lights where one bulb dies and causes the rest to not be powered. The power board issue can be addressed but most repair centers won't "touch" the LED isssue.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
good luck... it could also be as simple as maybe when they replaced the power board, they didn't ensure that ALL the cables were well seated and the one going to that string is no longer seated well. Hope its a simple fix and / or covered by warranty. Note: you (as in you youself) can replace a dead LED with some DIY and patience.... but if you go somewhere to get it done, the labor costs will be high.

Gv137a

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
the tech had the board replaced in about 10 minutes

I dont remember how many cables went to it

But I did take a pic of the board
This was just back in the 1st week of october
IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0039.JPG

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
well... it appears that there are three (not including the ac plug). that's similar to others that I have seen. One probably goes to powering the main board plus tcon. The other two are probably going to power the led strips. Possibly, one of those two aren't seated well. The voltage going thru those is quite high because there are a large number of leds each string... probably 50-60 @ about 2 volts each. Its possible one of the power FETs is gone and thus replaceable either by card or by component.... the voltage checks would probably indicate that pretty fast.
It is suspicious that the board failed earlier. That might have been a sign that there was an issue that took out the board at the time. Anyways, as you have found, replacing the board is relatively easy especially on their time although you pay for the labor. It will start getting expensive there after if it doesn't solve the problem.

Gv137a

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
thank you for the information

Yes were suprised when it quit working in october, it would not turn on and the red light flashed.
We contacted samsung but since we were out of waranty we were basically stuck. My wife called and complained and they finally agreed to send a tech, we would have to pay labour. It was 200.00

The tech brought out a mother board and a power supply board. He changed the power supply first and it fired right up. Like I said he was here 15 to 20 minutes. He did mention that if it was a screen problem the cost would be 1500.00

This was our first flat screen and a major purchase for us. Knowing what I know now I would of purchased the extended waranty. We will never purchase a samsung product again

When we had the first power issue I read online that they were using inferior capacitors on the boards.

Again thank you

You had mentioned earlier tht the led strip can be replaced. Do you have a link where I can read about that?

Gv137a

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
just to update this thread

Took some reading on the power board as suggested on badcaps
IMG_0030.JPG

Looks like a its a bad led strip

Im looking into it futher over at badcaps

Looks like the response above was dead on

Thanks

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
:-( but if you have any "diligence", I think people have been successful at replacing the led strip. Lots of post over there in and around all types of sets. It isn't easy for sure but possible especially if you have time and space.

The gamble now is the set is usable in its current state. It is unlikely to get worse since that string is not actually "energized" (ie. that driver is doing nothing). The worst that will happen now is that other leds on other strings might go dead taking those strings out leaving you with out backlight in another area. The odds are low but like the first incident, "sh t" happens... :) Anyways, proceed slowly, either course at the present time is probably ok (do nothing or attempt a fix).
I know from "saving" a 70 in sharp with another issue (bad tabs) that people (lots) are successful at these things even if they little or nothing about electronics..... badcaps is full of posts from people who don't even know what a DDM is or how to take things like resistance or voltage measurements. They are usually successful.