Samsung ARC to Yamaha 381 not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
I'm trying to connect my Samsung smart Tv model UN55KU6300 to my Yamaha 381. I have the cable from TV HDMI 3ARC to HDMI out ARC on the receiver, but im not getting any sound. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
I have a feeling you are not clear as to the purpose of ARC.

For a component like a PS4, which goes PS4 --> Receiver --> TV, ARC is not needed. The receiver will extract the audio component and play the speakers while passing through the video portion to the TV to be displayed.

The ARC is intended... say you have an Aerial (antenna) and you are watching a HD surround broadcast. Now obviously you want to listen to it in all its surround glory on your receiver's speakers, how does the audio gets from Antenna --> TV --> Receiver? ARC. Without ARC you would have to wire a separate audio cable (typical Toslink) from TV --> Receiver.

Now if you are telling me your PS4 HDMI goes directly to the TV because of whatever reason, your...
Both pieces have to support ARC and need to be explicitly ENABLED. Also the ARC is typically available on a specific HDMI port, not any HDMI. An easy mistake people make, thinking the audio goes TV --> Receiver, hook up HDMI cable to a Receiver HDMI IN port, when it should be on the Receiver's HDMI OUT port.

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
I have switched my HDMI cable to one I know is supported for I just bought it for 4k and the Cable is hooked up to ARC on both the TV and receiver. Still nothing.... I'm trying to see if ARC is enabled on my Yamaha RX-V381 but am finding it difficult without the remote.

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
OK so when I have everything connect( PS4 to HDMI 1 and HDMI[ARC(AV)] to HDMI 3[ARC(TV)] The TV does not reconise the signal, but when I switch the HDMI on the TV to HDMI 2 it works.

I have a feeling you are not clear as to the purpose of ARC.

For a component like a PS4, which goes PS4 --> Receiver --> TV, ARC is not needed. The receiver will extract the audio component and play the speakers while passing through the video portion to the TV to be displayed.

The ARC is intended... say you have an Aerial (antenna) and you are watching a HD surround broadcast. Now obviously you want to listen to it in all its surround glory on your receiver's speakers, how does the audio gets from Antenna --> TV --> Receiver? ARC. Without ARC you would have to wire a separate audio cable (typical Toslink) from TV --> Receiver.

Now if you are telling me your PS4 HDMI goes directly to the TV because of whatever reason, your receiver doesn't have enough HDMI ports... oy.... am not sure the TV can pass thru surround information that way from PS4 to receiver.

Solution

Tydeocean

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015

Maybe i'm not explaining what is happening correctly. I understand that arc is used to switch the audio from the TV whether it be antenna or apps such as Netflix. What I'm saying is that when the HDMI is connect ARC HDMI Out(receiver) ----> ARC HDMI 3 (TV) and PS4 ---> HDMI 1(receiver) Nothing works their is no signal, but if I change ARC HDMI Out(receiver) ----> ARC HDMI 3 (TV) to ARC HDMI Out(receiver) ----> HDMI 2 (TV) the PS4 signal is found, I do understand that apps like Netflix will not work because ARC is not supported under HDMI 2. What is confusing me is that no signal what so ever is found under ARC HDMI 3 (TV), could this because ARC is not activated through the receiver because I checked the TV and its activated. If this is the case I cant check it now because I don't have a remote for the receiver right now.

Ryan_236

Commendable
Dec 10, 2016

I'm running into the same issue. I have my cable box, DVD player and PS3 plugged into the receiver, then the receiver to the TV. When using ARC should I configure differently?

Realvegan

Prominent
Mar 12, 2017
I have a Yamaha 581 and Samsung Unk8000

The solution to her ARC sound from TV is to make sure you have all 4 HDMI ports on the receiver plugged into something - even if just an HDMI cable with nothing attached.

The TV hdmi arc port (labelled on the samsung smart hub or TV goes to the receiver HDMI out port. Netflix etc from Smart Tv will pass through audio to receiver and you can also turn on and off the receiver and adjust receiver volume too (provided you enable ARC/anynet on the tv and hdmi control/arc on the receiver.

All other devices like bluray or PlayStation or Apple TV etc must be connected to the receiver HDMI in ports.

If hdmi port 4 on the receiver is empty it will not work. Plug an empty hdmi cable in and BAM VOILA magic - business time. Lol

Sounds weird but trust me it works!

Status
Not open for further replies.