Samsung Burns Apple Fans in Galaxy S II Advertisements

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
lol, i do that to iphone users with my htc desire hd all the time. I let them work the "apple" routine first, and then pull out my phone :p It kinda shuts them up :D

darkchazz

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
[citation][nom]AvatarIII[/nom]How come my S2 doesn't look like that? When did they change?[/citation]
The US carrier version looks different than the international unlocked variant.
More round edges, 4.5" screen instead of 4.3", no physical home button...

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm not a fan of commercials that slam competitors - mostly because they tend to be full of lying hype. Apple's commercials come to mind.

That being said, this was very well done, and made me laugh. There is no company more deserving of this kind of lampoon than Apple.

;)

Uberragen21

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Samsung's mentality is different from Apple's. They lead by functionality and best specs, not by "customer loyalty" and "ease of use" (because EVERYTHING, not just iCrap, is easy to use nowadays - to the point where it hurts!). Samsung knows very well that if their products aren't the best around, Android users will easily jump to HTC or whoever else makes Android phones. Therefore there will never be any "customer loyalty" to Samsung in the way there is to Apple, and that is good. I refuse to buy a product from the company just because they're famous/hyped and some of their products in the past were okay. If I spend money, I want top-notch stuff for that money, and no amount of fanboyism will lead me astray from getting the best value for money. Samsung screws up, I won't get their phone, simple as that. And they know it.[/citation]
Exactly...

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The Samsung Galaxy S2 is amazing, but compared to the iPhone almost anything is. Have had the Galaxy S2 for a few months now and love it. Ready for something better. It wont be anything Apple cause I expect alot and SIRI does not cut my technology grade.

tonitelaoag

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2007
these ads are nothing , dosn't impress me, sorry people not a fan of both camps, you can't beat apple products whatever infomercial you can come up, just seen most of it, apple is fluid and designed years ahead of any competing brand.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Wasn't a fan of the Apple vs MS ads, and not a fan of this. Only haters really like this sort of stuff - it's been proven time & again that consumers don't respond to attack type ads. Pepsi and Burger King have been doing this against Coke and McD's (including taste tests) for almost 30 years and it hasn't done much for them either.

I know 20 people at work with iPhones (all technicians & engineers) and not one of them fits the stereotype portrayed in this ad. This is also why they won't work. It would be funnier if all iPhone users were like they were in the ads, but that's simply not true. It's just something the APple haters like to believe.

G

tinitelaoag must have never used anything besides an Apple product. iOS 5 was almost wholly copies from others. They bought Siri, and the app was in the app store. Google had a lot of the functions years ago or you could just download Vlingo. They've been behind for at least Android for a year.

brotoles

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
[citation][nom]ImThat1Guy[/nom]I love the commercial, but you guys are way late. I saw it on Techspot... Wednesday, I think it was, and then during one of the Thanksgiving football games.[/citation]
I didn't get the commercial on air, maybe because I don't live in the USA... Please don't take offense, but I really think these "late" comments are somewhat counter-productive. If you've seen it before, be happy you did, don't berate the site for giving others the opportunity to see it too...
Really, I mean no offense, just my point of view. I don't mind even when I read something here which I've already read before. :)

uuicked

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey if you need a P.A. to help you navigate your own "simple" phone then you need Siri. If you have a mind of your own you could easily touch, Calander to see whats going on today.. you could look at your weather widget and see, yes its calling for snow, or worst case you could click your google voice search widget and google any question you want. It's funny how Apple gives users one measly upgrade and people blindly believe they have the hottest item available. If you want double the processor speed, ten times the bandwidth and a camera with an amazing shutter speed then go do yourself a favor... look into Samsung's Nexus

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Sweet James Jones[/nom]tinitelaoag must have never used anything besides an Apple product. iOS 5 was almost wholly copies from others. They bought Siri, and the app was in the app store. Google had a lot of the functions years ago or you could just download Vlingo. They've been behind for at least Android for a year.[/citation]
You can always tell the people who know nothing about Siri when they suggest Vlingo is a good alternative.

You need to stop watching those "staged" Siri vs xxxx YouTube videos where they ask Siti and the "other" a few carefully selected questions, have them answer the same, and conclude they're the same.

Anyone with a 4S can install Vlingo and test it on their phone along with Siri, and you'll quickly see how crspoy Vlingo really is.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]uuicked[/nom]Hey if you need a P.A. to help you navigate your own "simple" phone then you need Siri. If you have a mind of your own you could easily touch, Calander to see whats going on today.. you could look at your weather widget and see, yes its calling for snow, or worst case you could click your google voice search widget and google any question you want. It's funny how Apple gives users one measly upgrade and people blindly believe they have the hottest item available. If you want double the processor speed, ten times the bandwidth and a camera with an amazing shutter speed then go do yourself a favor... look into Samsung's Nexus[/citation]
Double the processor speed? Really? Did you even finish Grade 3 Math? The Nexus is clocked 50% faster than the A5 in the 4S. Oh, and that 50% overclocked Nexus is less than 10% faster in processor benchmarks, while the A5 in the 4S is almost 200% faster in GPU video tests. Yeah, really powerful processor in that Nexus. **yawn**

Who would use Siri to check the weather? I'd pull down my notification bar if I wanted to see the weather. If I was dfriving, then I might ask Siri a simple question. There are two functions I find very useful for Siri. One is scheduling appointments and the other is for setting reminders.

You should try setting a calendar event using your voice by saying something like "Schedule an appointment with First Name Last Name on Jan 17th at 4 o'clock" and see how fast it is. Then do it manually by opening your calendar App, jumping ahead to Jan, picking the day, clicking to add event, setting the time for the event and then typiing in a short description. You'll quickly see which method is quicker and easier. Oh wait, I forgot, the two most useful parts of Siri (appts/reminders) aren't possible on an Android device. Except through some junly third party Apps or "hacks" like sending a tect to your Google Calendar. Seriously? That's the advice for an Android user wanting to set an appointment by voice?

Status
Not open for further replies.