Samsung Burns Apple Fans in Galaxy S II Advertisements

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Samsung 24% of smartphpone market.Apple 14% of smartphone market.Welcome to real world![/citation]
I do live in the real world, one where Samsung has stopped reporting individual sales numbers.

Tell me, how much of that market share represents the Galaxy S2? Yeah, that's what I thought. And you probably believe those 550,000 activations per day for Android are all made up of Galaxy's, Droids and other high-end phones, when in fact most of them are garbage phones.

TEAMSWITCHER

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
[citation][nom]TEAMSWITCHER[/nom]So, I guess the only way to get posted on this site is to bask Apple?[/citation]

bask=bash. Damn typos. I still think that Samsung is making a huge marketing mistake. Going after Apple products is good. Trying to make customers feel stupid has never worked in advertising...never.

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
Using the SG II Skyrocket. Got this randomly in San Juan, PR:

Test Date: Nov 28, 2011 8:16:42 am
Connection Type: Lte
Server: Ringgold, GA
Download: 10004 kbps
Upload: 6424 kbps
Ping: 87 ms

Love the phone. LTE is big bonus points.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]lol, i do that to iphone users with my htc desire hd all the time. I let them work the "apple" routine first, and then pull out my phone It kinda shuts them up[/citation]

Highly doubt that, lol. The are probably just waiting for you to stop talking about how big your screen is. Most IPhone users are pretty happy with their device choice as you are with yours.

Anyway, great add by Samsung. Part of the competitive process, in the end... we all win with better and better phones coming out.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ojas[/nom]HHAHAHAHAHAH Apple just got a taste of their own medicine (Mac vs PC ads)!!![/citation]

Yea, that is what I thought as well. Great shot by Samsung. Wonder if Apple will respond the other way with targeted adds at Samsung. Probably won't but would be cool to see at least for a short while.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]I do live in the real world, one where Samsung has stopped reporting individual sales numbers.Tell me, how much of that market share represents the Galaxy S2? Yeah, that's what I thought. And you probably believe those 550,000 activations per day for Android are all made up of Galaxy's, Droids and other high-end phones, when in fact most of them are garbage phones.[/citation]

Yep, that is fact. People don't understand that. The cite these big numbers like they really mean something. Fact of the matter is that if Samsung took their entire product line and compared running Android and compared it to the activation numbers for Apples entire IOS based product line they would not even compete. Compair Apple's new phone to Samsung's new competing phone in terms of sales and activations.....nuff said. Does not even compare.

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]I'm surprised that the Apple drones in the spot didn't use the phrase, "you're holding it wrong!"[/citation]

Travel back in time much? You had to go to the bargin bin to get that one.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]Their on[/nom]I would just like to say something. As much as I wanted to like Android and I even tried the Galaxy S2 (US ATT Model) for a bit I had to switch back to iPhone. Why? The insanely useless gmail app is well, useless. I personally use email all the time and it was so bad I hated the experience. I tried finding a third party application for this use but that was a no go as well.Now I'm not saying the commercials aren't funny, but all this IOS bashing is dumb. Different strokes for different folks I say and leave it at that.[/citation]

A simple "Googling" will get you K9 or similar e-mail client.

The built-in EMail client (not the GMail app) is good enough. I have three e-mail -- one is using MS exchange from an organization -- and my Andriod is handling like a charm.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]4G is overrated, not widely supported, and with your useless data plans you'd use up your cap in no time flat. Adobe Flash has been killed off, or haven't you heard? Never used navigation as I seem to have an ability to get places without having to rely on an "assistant" to tell me. I use a thumb drive to carry files instead of having to carry a cable around just to connect my phone to a computer.So how's gaming on that inferior GPU you've got? How's it like working with an OS that's not even hardware accelerated to take advantage of what little power thet GPU has? What's it like to have a phone that doesn;t get supported or updates in a timely manner, or gets completey forgotten after little more than a year?[/citation]

I live somewhere in Asia.

My plan is 12GB of data per month. I can tether all I want. That means there may be 3-4 devices using my phone's 4G speed at the same time but the telco says nothing. It costs only (in USD if I convert), $30 a month including unlimited SMS/MMS plus 100 anytime/anyone outgoing minutes + 300 selected-three-persons/anytime minutes + unlimited incoming minutes.

So ... 4G LTE makes sense for me. ok ?

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I'm no fan of Apple but what Samsung is advertising against is something they would themselves envy and desire. Do you really think they would be making this ad or mocking the consumerist fan-boy behavior if they too had the popularity and sales in the same manner that Apple does?[/citation]

That is the irony of the ad. For so many years Apple has advertised themselves as no being part of the mainstream or the "norm". Not that they are for the smartphone and tablet market it makes the Samsung ad much more entertaining.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
What on earth is up with everybody? They're two companies, selling phones and other stuff, for heaven's sake stop acting like they own you, and you've got to support them.

Just calm down people. Rather grow up.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Based on this ad, Samsung is looking for the people who want to be the ones showing others that they have the latest and greatest (why else would they have indicated that the iPhone 4 looks just like the iPhone 4S and how will people know you have the latest/greatest).

Apple on the other hand doesn't even acknowledge (in their ads ) that they have competition and only focus on what THEIR product can do.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ap3x[/nom]Highly doubt that, lol. The are probably just waiting for you to stop talking about how big your screen is. Most IPhone users are pretty happy with their device choice as you are with yours.Anyway, great add by Samsung. Part of the competitive process, in the end... we all win with better and better phones coming out.[/citation]

Actually, I have seen it happen with the Incredible, Evo, and Thunderbolt. I have seen more and more iPhone users disappointed with their devices when compared to a strong competitor.

datawrecker

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]4G is overrated, not widely supported, and with your useless data plans you'd use up your cap in no time flat. Adobe Flash has been killed off, or haven't you heard? Never used navigation as I seem to have an ability to get places without having to rely on an "assistant" to tell me. I use a thumb drive to carry files instead of having to carry a cable around just to connect my phone to a computer.So how's gaming on that inferior GPU you've got? How's it like working with an OS that's not even hardware accelerated to take advantage of what little power thet GPU has? What's it like to have a phone that doesn;t get supported or updates in a timely manner, or gets completey forgotten after little more than a year?[/citation]

"4G is overrated." Typical comment for someone who has never had the experience of 4G or 4G LTE. If you mean not widely support by Apple I thing you mean not supported at all by Apple. Even RIM has started up with 4G support.

"Flash has been killed off." Sooo how does this affect Android and Apple? You mean that iDevice may finally be able to get a decent web experience one EVERYONE converts to HTML5. Apple has been riding that pony for how long now?

"Never used Navigation." Maybe you should go somewhere that requires you leave you parents basement. I know it might seem scary at first with all that open air and 4G data but I think you just might be OK.

"I use a thumb drive for carrying files." I did too in 2005. Now I transfer files wirelessly to my phone/tablet. You should try it. PS. It works with computers too.

"What's it like using an OS that is not hardware accelerated? (I went ahead and fixed that for you.) It works just fine. As a matter of fact it looks and function great without the need for hardware acceleration. So much so I like it better that the iOS. Does the iOS need it to look pretty and function? Hmmm.

"How's gaming on that inferior GPU?" I have yet to come across a game that it cannot handle. So it appears just fine. Congratulations on have a high end GPU. Maybe when they release games that can actually push the GPU's limits in another year it will still be the best available. I doubt it since Apple's development cycle is ridiculously slow.

"What's it like to have a phone that doesn't get supported or updates in a timely manner?" I wouldn't know. If there is something we need someone in the community usually creates it before the vendor. Even so, the vendor supplied updates we receive come when we need them and actually has enough original updated content that it feels like an update. When was the last time Apple update the iOS with original content let alone enough changes to be noticable? I seriously don't think they have? Siri? Nope that was an app before it was integrated into the OS. OK OK how about folders? Nope, that wasn't original either. Copy and paste, nope. SMS messages, nope. Seems like these updates are nothing but add-ins to help Apple keep up with what was already available on competitors devices. You know what is a good thing about open source platforms? I do not have to wait for the Vendor to issue fixes for bugs or features.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Great AD from Samsung... Love it.

But Samsung / Android still needs to improve the back-end of Android phones - something that makes it easy for people to transfer files and info from their desktop to their phones, and actually work.

G

For some reason I'm getting errors when trying to register a new account so I will comment like this again.

law shay:

I appreciate the suggestion but that app doesn't work as well as one would like. I need full email/calendar/contact integration. Yes, the built in system does this because I use Google for email but again the gmail app is terrible. I may be able sync contacts/calendars with the phones built in sync functionality and not use the gmail app. I could then use either K-9 or something else for email. Now assuming this all worked, how would the phone react to meeting invitations? I'm not ripping you or being confrontational, I'm just showing an example of my personal experience.

These are items that most mobile email clients suck at, specifically gmail app on android:

1) Complete lack of unified inbox
2) Full seamless integration of calendars/contacts/meeting invitations
3) Proper formatting of emails and pinch to zoom within email app (gmail app on galaxy S couldn't do this).

On the other side of things I setup my google account as exchange on the iphone and everything works, mail/contacts/calendar/meeting invites are seamless.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]datawrecker[/nom]"I use a thumb drive for carrying files." I did too in 2005. Now I transfer files wirelessly to my phone/tablet. You should try it. PS. It works with computers too."What's it like using an OS that is not hardware accelerated? (I went ahead and fixed that for you.) It works just fine. As a matter of fact it looks and function great without the need for hardware acceleration. [/citation]
Two things to add:
(1) Transferring files wirelessly is so cool. In Andriod, we can use (a) Bluetooth, (b) Wifi (through an App that cost 1 British Pound) or (c) NFC to do this. In fact, I use the Wifi option to allow iPhone users to access my files on my SPICA (a two-years old phone).
(2) Hardware acceleration part lies not in the OS, but in the driver design. Even my two-years old SPICA has hardware acceleration for youtube movies and DivX movies. It depends on the manufacturers, not OS developer. Therefore, almost all Andriod nowadays got hardware acceleration for graphics and probably in the future for advance maths computations.

gus1991

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Based on this ad, Samsung is looking for the people who want to be the ones showing others that they have the latest and greatest (why else would they have indicated that the iPhone 4 looks just like the iPhone 4S and how will people know you have the latest/greatest).Apple on the other hand doesn't even acknowledge (in their ads ) that they have competition and only focus on what THEIR product can do.[/citation]

Ahh, I bet you and all your fanboys were shaking your heads and covering up your ears yelling "blah blah blah" the whole time the commercial was on. The truth hurts man.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Good for chuckles. Just a warning to Samsung: don't take it too far, or otherwise you risk looking like Apple when they did the Mac vs. PC ads.

Status
Not open for further replies.