Samsung Burns Apple Fans in Galaxy S II Advertisements

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subaru41

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
The best things I love about my iPhone is the 4g internet, supports Adobe flash, Free Google 3d voice turn by turn navigation, nice 4.5 inch screen, no dealing with iTunes, and drag and drop files on PC.

Oh wait... I got my inferior phone, I mean iPhone mixed up with a real phone.

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
@ericburnby:

Yes, "quicker and easier" and, with the availability and correctness of Apple's cloud firm (think about Siri not being available in Asia), "un-reliable and error-prone" too !!!

law shay

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]The best things I love about my iPhone is the 4g internet, supports Adobe flash, Free Google 3d voice turn by turn navigation, nice 4.5 inch screen, no dealing with iTunes, and drag and drop files on PC.Oh wait... I got my inferior phone, I mean iPhone mixed up with a real phone.[/citation]

Sorry, I mis-click the thumb down button. I meant thumb-up.

olaf

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
I don't particularly like Samsung a lot , had horrible experiences with there optical drives and still do, there writers are horrible! Returning one 18 times in warranty within a 2 year period is unfathomable, but i do believe there phones are superior to Apple's thanks to the Android platform. I have to agree with the poster above that said that when a phone with better specs then that of the S2 will be out many people will migrate to that phone. I have an older LG model and i have to say that i find it functional, and easy to use. The market is packed with apps , over 300.000 last it was mentioned on this site if recall correctly. I don't think 50.000 or 100.000 more app's on Apple's store will that make a huge difference. Google's stance on allowing ads withing app's and thus providing a lot of free ad supported app's is great and to be applauded. Until now Samsung hasn't gone "brandhappy" and is not charging people extra just because it says Samsung on there product, i find Apple products to be well made but horribly over priced on any level. The only advantage of iOS over Android is there rock solid control on hardware as well as software, but this is also there weakness as well, a large community will have better creativity then there Orwellian stance on things. I am an Android fan i admit but i also have to admit Samsung could have made a slight effort and come up with a nicer design one that doesn't resemble a damn "you'r holding it wrong" phone.

G

I would just like to say something. As much as I wanted to like Android and I even tried the Galaxy S2 (US ATT Model) for a bit I had to switch back to iPhone. Why? The insanely useless gmail app is well, useless. I personally use email all the time and it was so bad I hated the experience. I tried finding a third party application for this use but that was a no go as well.

Now I'm not saying the commercials aren't funny, but all this IOS bashing is dumb. Different strokes for different folks I say and leave it at that.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
[citation][nom]_Cubase_[/nom]Oh Samsung, my brand loyalty to you just increased ten-fold! Good show.[/citation]

a samsung fanboi is born!

fanbois are despised because they love companies for their perceived greatness and not their actual greatness. if people buy apple because they like the way it looks and they like the OS, good for them. but fanbois are usually blinded by bells and whistles and can't see flaws in the product they support whole heatedly. i was a huge supporter of AMD until '10, i was also a huge supporter of osX until W7 came out. bottom line is apple makes great products that are more expensive and constricting that any other product line.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I'm no fan of Apple but what Samsung is advertising against is something they would themselves envy and desire. Do you really think they would be making this ad or mocking the consumerist fan-boy behavior if they too had the popularity and sales in the same manner that Apple does?[/citation]

Samsung 24% of smartphpone market.
Apple 14% of smartphone market.

Welcome to real world!

G

But have you realised that Samsung have also taken down (unlisted) their original TERRIBLE adverts for the Galaxy S2 form back in Summer from their Youtube account!

http://www.mobileinquirer.com/2011/samsung-poke-fun-at-apple-but-unlist-original-crap-videos-for-the-s2-even-more-funny/

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
[citation][nom]egmccann[/nom]Remember when phones had buttons? Buttons with numbers? I miss those phones.[/citation]

There are plenty of those around. Grab yourself a real phone instead of a really limitting (and limited) mini-computer that can also place a phone call.

f-gomes

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
"Brand loyalty" is the modern display of people's stupidity. Do you [fans of whatever brand] expect these companies to return any of that 'loyalty'? Wake up, it's a piece of technology, they just want your money, and give you a device in return. Nothing else.
Just use it, but please stop being loyal to a bunch of rich stockholders.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]olaf[/nom]I don't particularly like Samsung a lot , had horrible experiences with there optical drives and still do, there writers are horrible![/citation]
If you had a terrible experience with an Xbox would that stop you from using Windows?

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]If you had a terrible experience with an Xbox would that stop you from using Windows?[/citation]
Dude, you hurt me.
Having a terrible experience with Windows itself didn't stp me from using Windows. DirectX... =/

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
It was a good ad but it wasn't aggressive enough for me. I like ads to name names and not do subtle hints.

I guess the best way to describe the ads i'd like to see would be like the old WWF promos when one wrestler would call another out by name and declare that he's gonna kick his ass at (insert pay per view here).

Google should make aids that directly get at iphone users like how they believe that the first iphone was the first smart phone or the first touch screen phone. How even though the iphone has similar specs to others phones in the same class iphone users can be convinced that they are magic because of "a cooler look"

The ad was a nice jab, but i'd prefer to see uppercuts thrown. You're selling a competing product there is no need to be civil.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Dude, you hurt me.Having a terrible experience with Windows itself didn't stp me from using Windows. DirectX... =/[/citation]
Sorry if I hurt your feelings
Actually i'm not, but the message is pretty straightforward, a company that makes hundreds of different products and he doesn't like the whole company because of a bad experience with a total unrelated division, since when does the Optical Drive division have anything to do with the Smartphone division?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]monsta[/nom]If only the apple fanboi's could see what douches they really are[/citation]
If only haters could see what douches they really are.

scuba dave

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2009
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Double the processor speed? Really? Did you even finish Grade 3 Math? The Nexus is clocked 50% faster than the A5 in the 4S. Oh, and that 50% overclocked Nexus is less than 10% faster in processor benchmarks, while the A5 in the 4S is almost 200% faster in GPU video tests. Yeah, really powerful processor in that Nexus. **yawn**Who would use Siri to check the weather? I'd pull down my notification bar if I wanted to see the weather. If I was dfriving, then I might ask Siri a simple question. There are two functions I find very useful for Siri. One is scheduling appointments and the other is for setting reminders.You should try setting a calendar event using your voice by saying something like "Schedule an appointment with First Name Last Name on Jan 17th at 4 o'clock" and see how fast it is. Then do it manually by opening your calendar App, jumping ahead to Jan, picking the day, clicking to add event, setting the time for the event and then typiing in a short description. You'll quickly see which method is quicker and easier. Oh wait, I forgot, the two most useful parts of Siri (appts/reminders) aren't possible on an Android device. Except through some junly third party Apps or "hacks" like sending a tect to your Google Calendar. Seriously? That's the advice for an Android user wanting to set an appointment by voice?[/citation]

Perfect rebuttal. Also add in that once Siri is no longer in Beta, if they open it back up for OpenTable, and movie ticket purchasing(and quite possibly a lot more)(based on what the Siri App could do).. You could save yourself alot of time. Reminders is by far what I use the most with Siri.. Sometimes I'll think about something, and know that it's easier to look it up on my computer at home, and then tell Siri to remind me once i get home. 5 seconds, done. No typing, no forgetting. It's beyond useful. Especially with those tiny, random thoughts. Like hearing about something on the radio.
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]The Samsung Galaxy S2 is amazing, but compared to the iPhone almost anything is. Have had the Galaxy S2 for a few months now and love it. Ready for something better. It wont be anything Apple cause I expect alot and SIRI does not cut my technology grade.[/citation]
Glad to see someone is easily impressed ;P
[citation][nom]Their on[/nom]I would just like to say something. As much as I wanted to like Android and I even tried the Galaxy S2 (US ATT Model) for a bit I had to switch back to iPhone. Why? The insanely useless gmail app is well, useless. I personally use email all the time and it was so bad I hated the experience. I tried finding a third party application for this use but that was a no go as well.Now I'm not saying the commercials aren't funny, but all this IOS bashing is dumb. Different strokes for different folks I say and leave it at that.[/citation]
Agreed. However, most of the people here don't understand that. And never will unfortunately. I come across to them, as a fanboi of epic proportions. How chldish, of people that claim a higher intelligence level. Dumbest smart people ever. I have an iPhone only because it does exactly what I want, exactly how I want to do it. The price I paid for my phone is still on par with the high end android phones, so really.. They need to give that a rest too.

Simply put, as soon as I see an android, win7, or even some other platform do what I want better, I will switch to them. The iphone has given me the best features, platform, etc to fit my life. Nothing more. Grow up kids.
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Samsung 24% of smartphpone market.Apple 14% of smartphone market.Welcome to real world![/citation]
4 phones(only one of which is being made) vs How many Samsung phones? iPhone vs 1 other phone model, and Apple wins hands down. Do you really think such statistics are useful?

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]subaru41[/nom]The best things I love about my iPhone is the 4g internet, supports Adobe flash, Free Google 3d voice turn by turn navigation, nice 4.5 inch screen, no dealing with iTunes, and drag and drop files on PC.Oh wait... I got my inferior phone, I mean iPhone mixed up with a real phone.[/citation]
4G is overrated, not widely supported, and with your useless data plans you'd use up your cap in no time flat. Adobe Flash has been killed off, or haven't you heard? Never used navigation as I seem to have an ability to get places without having to rely on an "assistant" to tell me. I use a thumb drive to carry files instead of having to carry a cable around just to connect my phone to a computer.

So how's gaming on that inferior GPU you've got? How's it like working with an OS that's not even hardware accelerated to take advantage of what little power thet GPU has? What's it like to have a phone that doesn;t get supported or updates in a timely manner, or gets completey forgotten after little more than a year?

Status
Not open for further replies.