Samsung Direction lock reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookfizz23

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
I have a Samsung Tab a. I foolishly set it to direction lock. How can I change back to another kind of screen lock without doing a reset? The on/off slider switch in the Accessibility menu does not work. I have no other options like swipe or pin in the the lock screen menu.

It's as if you can only make the decision once and you're locked in forever. I have a backup pin, but i must swipe 5 times, try again, swipe 5 more times, wait 29 seconds, then use pin. This is not fun!!

Solution
That is very very odd. It should have the other options. I think it may be a bug in that device (not just yours for have been reading up on it and it seems to have been). Have you made sure that the tablet is fully updated?

Here are the instructions, direct from Samsung. If this isn't there on your device, then there is something wrong with the device.

http://www.samsung.com/za/support/skp/faq/1080035
1. Tap "Apps" and then "Settings".
2. Scroll down until you get to the "Personal" category and tap "Lock Screen".
3. Next tap "Screen Lock". This will allow you to change the methods used.
4. Enter your current password/pin/etc. (depending on what method you have used).
5. Tap "Continue" (if needed/asked).
6. Now change the type of lock setting you wish to use.

bookfizz23

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016

Hi,
The closest i get to "Screen Lock" is "Lock screen and security", which shows only 1 option : Direction lock. No other option is listed, not even grayed out. Under the Accessability menu, which is where i first saw the direction lock option, there is a slider button that is now permanently on. I cannot slide it to "off". There was no warning that this would be a permanent change. When you tap the direction lock link, you are asked for the pattern, which it doesn't recognize, and there is no option to use the backup pin. I believe i set the pattern correctly, but I've tried so many now , who knows!

That is very very odd. It should have the other options. I think it may be a bug in that device (not just yours for have been reading up on it and it seems to have been). Have you made sure that the tablet is fully updated?

Here are the instructions, direct from Samsung. If this isn't there on your device, then there is something wrong with the device.

http://www.samsung.com/za/support/skp/faq/1080035

Solution

Cmcc2910

Prominent
Jul 4, 2017
Help... I've done same thing on my Galaxy S6 ... I didn't take much notice of arrows I used as I accidentally got into this screen while setting up antiviral software.. I've uninstalled that software only to find it's on my phone settings.. I can't access options to change security settings as I can't remember the code (arrows) I used!! help!

Saran_4

Prominent
Jul 14, 2017

same problem here please help me,... please please.. i dont want to loose my data... replay me as soon as possible

devlindolores59

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017

devlindolores59

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Going to try web workings advice,although I see it refers to method used to set up security(password or pin) if someone has used directional arrow as pin lock,using password previously used would not help?? Thanks

bizzylizzy1031

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

bizzylizzy1031

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
Did you ever get your phone fixed? Mine does the same thing - it will not "turn off". If I try to turn it off, it goes back to the on position and wants me to enter my directional code again. I want to go back to NO locked screen - it takes too long to swipe and then wait while the phone decides if I did it correctly.

bizzylizzy1031

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017

bizzylizzy1031

Prominent
Oct 19, 2017
I GOT IT!! Partially. Ok, well, my son actually got it for me. Immediately. Of course.
1 Settings
2 Lock screen and security
3. Screen lock type
4. Enter password
5. Choose a DIFFERENT type of security
(It seems like it wants you to have some sort of security. I think the Pin # is easiest to use.)
Now, if you don't want any security at all, I don't know that answer. However, you can exchange one for another.
Hope this helps some of you out there!

aavelazco2269

Prominent
Nov 3, 2017
I have found a PERMANENT solution for this but it does require a few steps. I will try to be as thorough as possible. First you will need to make sure you have a Samsung Account, which you should, and a lap top or desktop. Next you must log in to find my mobile by Samsung https://findmymobile.samsung.com/ . After signing in, there should be a small menu on the right hand side that says 'ring my device', 'lock my device', 'wipe my device', and 'more'. Click on 'more' and scroll down to unlock my device. By doing this, your phone assumes you forgot your password and will reset all security as well as delete finger prints. Your device will unlock and you may now unlock it by simply swiping. Then you can set up a new password as well as fingerprints. And lastly if you go back to accessibility and then click on the direction lock option, you may now turn it off.

tonygordon

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017

tonygordon

Prominent
Nov 16, 2017
When you enable Direction Lock...It Remembers WHERE YOU STARTED YOUR DIRECTION FROM....just try and remember if you starter at top bottom or side and then rotate in your direction as before...happened to me until i remembered i started at 6o clock...not 3oclock

amir.gholamrezaie

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017

gwen7441

Prominent
Nov 27, 2017
i Recently locked myself out of my s6 edge this morning, and theres a simple way to fix it.

as long as you have you find my mobile activated, you just need to sign into the site, go into the options, and look for unnlock my phone, once you do that,you then have access to your phone to then go into settings and remove directional lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.