Samsung Galaxy B Will Have Edge-to-Edge Display

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Imo I like the bezel, it gives me that secure feeling that if I somehow manage to drop it, it'll take the hit before the glass. If the glass covers corner to corner the impact will be almost directly applied to the glass if it lands on an edge or corner, reducing the chance it'll survive.

Sure the Gorilla glass will survive, but the screen beneath it will likely crack (which happened to my SGS, sent away for two weeks).

Anyway, as long as you are careful with your devices..
I wonder what specs it'll have. Now to go and find out.

G

Excellent Blog every one can get lots of information for any topics from this blog nice work keep it up.
Mobile Prices

G

What a great blog post! Thanks for sharing it on your site.
www.newsflap.com/category/app/

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
I really like the idea of an edge-to-edge screen. Whoever comes out with this first will sell loads of phones purely on looks, in my opinion. If this is true, it will be a big win for Samsung.

G

What at it, they should also develop a way to get rid of top and bottom areas of the phone.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... Samsung Galaxy B Will Have Edge-to-Edge Display? Bad Idea... there will be many incidental touches...[/citation]

I don't think this is true.

The screen will be edge-to-edge but the responsive area will just be the same as normal, I think (a kind of invisible bezel)

So you'll be able to hold the edge without problem.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
You guys are missing the point they are making. Take the G Nexus, square it off, and have the screen go all the way to the edges, on all 3 sides except the top, which will have a thin "bezel" that will house the speaker/camera. The picture in the article is throwing you guys off too.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]Katzie[/nom]You guys are missing the point they are making. Take the G Nexus, square it off, and have the screen go all the way to the edges, on all 3 sides except the top, which will have a thin "bezel" that will house the speaker/camera. The picture in the article is throwing you guys off too.[/citation]

How is anyone missing this? I think we all know what edge-to-edge means..

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]How is anyone missing this? I think we all know what edge-to-edge means..[/citation]

I beg to differ.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Was this not patented by Steve Jobs 10 years ago?

Joking aside, this is hardly interesting and makes me wonder if Samsung is running out of new ideas. This is more about show and casing than substance, something we have been subjected to from Apple for years. Yes this works with dumb clueless zombies that want to impress equally clueless zombies like those that flock to the Church of iCrap; but tech smart people want more. I have been a Samsung customer for some time but will will jump ships and drop them like a hot potato if shine rather than specs and substance becomes their new modus operandi. One thing Samsung should work on is a lot longer battery life. Their phones could stand to be a tiny bit thicker, but not as thick as those iPhone coffins. I would rather have that than have to wonder around like an iZombie charging my phone every 5 hours because of moderate internet browsing....

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
@Katzie - evidence?

@Del35 - the trick is to combine both looks and performance, same as any consumer device. If you want performance (like a 'tech smart guy', go with the iPhone 4S (the fastest phone on the market). If you want battery life, go with the iPhone 4S or the new Razr Maxx (they both lead the battery life charts). The Samsung Galaxy does not fare so well in either of the above metrics - having worse battery life and slower performance all round. Same with the Note.

For me personally, I hope that Samsung makes a new device which is innovative in both the visual appearance (edge-to-edge screen) and also internally (hopefully at least matching the GPU performance of the iPhone 4S). I may then buy the SG3.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If you want performance (like a 'tech smart guy', go with the iPhone 4S (the fastest phone on the market).

If you buy that, I have a bridge to sell you-- In the moon!

The iPhone 4s is nothing but another drm infested iCrap jail for clueless sheeple who dont know what to do with their freedom and who have not done their tech homework. The only thing about the iPhone that could be considered superior to say a Samsung Galaxy s2 is the display, and given the size of the iPhone 4s screen that is an entirely useless spec and would not even cause me to think twice about buying an iPhone and jumping into the iCrap jail. Believe me if the iPhone 4s were even a mild challenge to the Samsung Galaxy s2, I would list my S2 in Ebay tomorrow and pick up an iPhone -- I am no member of any Brand Church, or follower of a cult leader like the con-artist Steve Jobs; I will jump ships at the blink of eye when it suits me best.

I admit I would have issues about being seen with that crappy Apple logo now synonymous with clueless morons.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
1 - There is (still) no DRM on the iPhone
2 - The average iPhone users are more educated than Android users.
3 - If you did your 'tech homework' you would know that the iPhone has the fastest hardware right now. That's your failing.
4 - Bit ironic, given all of the above, that you call Apple users 'clueless morons'

Performance:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41965.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41964.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41962.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41963.png

Battery Life:

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41743.png
http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph4971/41744.png

I am completely neutral, manufacturer wise. You, are clearly not. You just spouted a whole rant of completely incorrect hate which avoids the simple fact that there is no phone which has the same CPU/GPU performance as the iPhone 4S out right now. There is also absolutely nothing bad which happens as a result of the software not being 'open' - indeed it has many advantages. There is not a single thing which is useful on Android that can't be done on iOS.

You call yourself a techie but really, your comments say otherwise.

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]watcha[/nom]I don't think this is true.The screen will be edge-to-edge but the responsive area will just be the same as normal, I think (a kind of invisible bezel)So you'll be able to hold the edge without problem.[/citation]
... good point...

omega21xx

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2012
Watcha, although most of your posts up until "The average iPhone user is more educated than Android users" or "the fastest phone" were helpful or true. The iPhone is not the fastest although does currently have the best gpu. Also being smug does not amount to being smarter than an adroid user. Too many people believe they are superior in some way by owning an iPhone or Apple product in general. Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying the iPhone is a bad phone or that apple sucks, just that making a bias judgement against someone's personality or intelligence because they don't own an iPhone is well... opinion, not factual, and pretty ridiculous and rude.

Status
Not open for further replies.