Samsung Galaxy Nexus Also Banned in USA

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
If technological savvy people tried to steer the morons that flock to Apple products away from Apple we would not have this towering iCrap behemoth. Now our choices have been limited cause most tech- smart people would never settle for Apple and its crappy jailyouin products.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Can't compete? Abuse legal system to ban it altogether!

PS
One may wonder which twisted arguments made her honor make this decision.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Apple's helpful tips on how not to infringe on their patents (REAL, not a joke):

For the iPhone design, alternative smartphone designs include: front surfaces that are not black or clear; front surfaces that are not rectangular, not flat, and without rounded corners; display screens that are more square than rectangular or not rectangular at all; display screens that are not centered on the front surface of the phone and that have substantial lateral borders; speaker openings that are not horizontal slots with rounded ends and that are not centered above the display screen; front surfaces that contain substantial adornment; and phones without bezels at all or very different looking bezels that are not thin, uniform, and with an inwardly sloping profile.

[A]lternate tablet computer designs include: overall shapes that are not rectangular with four flat sides or that do not have four rounded corners; front surfaces that are not completely flat or clear and that have substantial adornment; thick frames rather than a thin rim around the front surface; and profiles that are not thin relative to the D’889 or that have a cluttered appearance.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
ROFL. Tell me hoe can You not be an Apple hater? ?? Apple copied system design from android in IOS5 but if others design things that look similar to apple they already sew them... Really US patents are crap... This is some kind of grotesque You guys in the US have : ) Im glad that there is no such comedy in Europe (yet) .Apple is the worst company ever but still in the us there are lots of dumb people who buy things cos they look good ... I wish the biggest luck to samsung and google to destroy this f*****g patent troll at last...

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Dude, check the patent they've "infrindged":http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph [...] PN/8086604And shout "WTF?!?!?!" with me...[/citation]

OMG - Never read that. THIS IS ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS .... HOW CAN MAN PATENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS ANYAWY? ?? US residents - TELL me plz... Soon they will patent breathing in the USA too hahahhaha .

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Patents are WAYYYYY too broad these days. I mean.. they can literally patent a rectangular shape device for surfing the internet, and it is allowed!

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
How is this a valid injunction? The search feature is a software side feature and sounds incredibly general to me...the phones don't even vaguely look similar, apart from the fact that they're both phones.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
If a legal case has some basis in merits and judge(s) will rule in your favour, it is the duty of the company to pursue it. As a Apple shareholder (investor) and Google shareholder (investor) I expect both companies to go after any company that would infringe on their legal rights. If they didn't why would I even invest in a company that doesn't even protect itself?

You talk about competition? Does Microsoft go out of its best interest to increase competition in the markets its in? Does any company do this? Of course not, its counter intuitive to economics.

I guess ECON 101 passed many of you...

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
I dislike Apple in general, but I wouldn't for a second defend Samsung here. Companies (especially large ones like Samsung) know what they do. With all of the legal patent-evaluation involved in making a product, I can't imagine Samsung didn't know that they were infringing on Apple's IP (despite how absurd that IP might be). Alas, the only people this truly hurts are the consumers.

Probably a bit off-topic, but while I think Android has a lot of problems (some stem from the particular OEMs and how they mess up the version of Android deployed on their devices), I can't help but hate every UI interaction I need to do when on my iPod Touch. iOS: Buried menu options/functions, virtually no widgets, the fact that text fields in the web-browser don't re-size to the display size when double-tap zoomed (making you scroll & troll to read something when zoomed), and apps that, for some reason crash more frequently than on any of my android devices... I can't fathom how anyone can honestly say they enjoy the UI of iOS. On the up-side it's simple. On the down-side, it's simple. I guess it just shows that there are more simple people in the country that Apple needs to herd.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]izajasz[/nom]ROFL. Tell me hoe can You not be an Apple hater? ?? Apple copied system design from android in IOS5 but if others design things that look similar to apple they already sew them... Really US patents are crap... This is some kind of grotesque You guys in the US have : ) Im glad that there is no such comedy in Europe (yet) .Apple is the worst company ever but still in the us there are lots of dumb people who buy things cos they look good ... I wish the biggest luck to samsung and google to destroy this f*****g patent troll at last...[/citation]

You do realize Apple has been suing Samsung and getting bans on their products in Germany, right? The patent system is broken in a lot more places than the US.

izajasz

Distinguished
May 12, 2011
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]You do realize Apple has been suing Samsung and getting bans on their products in Germany, right? The patent system is broken in a lot more places than the US.[/citation]
Yes , You are true but its only 1 country.

jaquith

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]Someone living in the states should stand up and fight Apple. Apple is clearly just trying to destroy competition via laws as oppose to products. I am HAPPY I live in Canada. I can buy these beautiful products from Google/Android. But holy fuck Apple, Piss the fuck off. Its about the consumer, you want to be better then your competition? Work towards it, don't just find some legal loophole to ban them.Fuck Apple, tempted to toss this Iphone out the window because i'm supporting such a shit company.[/citation]
I see inept comments like this and it reinforces my attitude few have any idea of law.

Imagine you came up with a great 'widget', spent all of your savings on R&D and patented your product.

Then I see it and and start selling your 'widget' and your dreams of wealth were stolen my me.

Q - Are you okay with me stealing your 'stuff' or would you do everything to stop me?

Anarchy or Law? If you like or hate Apple I don't care then buy something else if possible. However, stealing anyone's or companies intellectual rights is unacceptable - period. The door swings both ways and those that steal need to be stopped and pay the price.

This is a matter of Law not 'feelings'.

AznCracker

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
[citation][nom]StevenJTookMyName[/nom]People copy products and designs all the time. Apple has no right to do this!That being said, I don't feel sorry for Samsung, Only Samsung customers who can't get a device now. Samsung seriously needs to hire some better designers who can do more original designs and stop using cheap plastic. And Android needs to be updated by google not OEMs or Cell providers.That being said damn it apple why? you suck for this.[/citation] what you want more glass phones?

Status
Not open for further replies.