Samsung Galaxy S III Arrives at Verizon Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]fb39ca4[/nom]Watch Apple get an injunction on it this week.[/citation]

Not sure they can as they would have to photoshop the GS3 a lot to make it look anything like a iPhone 4S, especially considering the size difference.

phishy714

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
I guess you don't know what the injunction is about..

Apple patented the slide to unlock/click graphic on screen to unlock - so they are suing on that as well as like 2-3 other patents. Yes Apple's a big dickwad over this.

As for me - WOOT! my Birthday is the 14th, so I know what I will be getting myself since my contract is also ending at that time ;)

raidenfox123

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
Sprint has already released the GS3, and AT&T will have it available on the 6th. Also note that AT&T will be releasing a special red edition, though not on the 6th. I have my GS3 for sprint, and am loving it!!! :D

jimmysmitty

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
[citation][nom]phishy714[/nom]I guess you don't know what the injunction is about..Apple patented the slide to unlock/click graphic on screen to unlock - so they are suing on that as well as like 2-3 other patents. Yes Apple's a big dickwad over this. As for me - WOOT! my Birthday is the 14th, so I know what I will be getting myself since my contract is also ending at that time[/citation]

Android 4 doesn't use a slide to unlock, well not like the normal one. It has a button in the middle that you roll to what you want (unlock, Text, Phone, Camera etc).

Still I doubt the suit will go through. Patenting something that simple is pretty anti-competitive anyways. It would be like creating a patent for holding the phone up to your ear.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Android 4 doesn't use a slide to unlock, well not like the normal one.~~ It would be like creating a patent for holding the phone up to your ear.[/citation]
Samsung's unlock is slide to unlock... with touchwiz. But at least with older TouchWiz, it uses jig-saw icons to open for text or calls. But the 2.3 uses the standard round button to unlock the phone period.

Whatever... there IS no confusion for anyone to think that any Samsung is an iPhone.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
I have a Samsung GS1 that is up for replacement/renewal... I'm never loved the phone... but it was the top-of-the line when it came out, it was $250 ($100 3~4 months after it was released).

The SGS3 has that glossy horrible plastic... so I don't want it. Looks like Samsung STILL has issues with GPS (which is still shit with their current and past phones). The HTC One X is the one I am going to go with (I think) - it feels great! They are ALL too damn big thou.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]jimmysmitty[/nom]Not sure they can as they would have to photoshop the GS3 a lot to make it look anything like a iPhone 4S, especially considering the size difference.[/citation]

They did photoshop alot the last time they were at court so i would not put them past them!

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]I have a Samsung GS1 that is up for replacement/renewal... I'm never loved the phone... but it was the top-of-the line when it came out, it was $250 ($100 3~4 months after it was released).The SGS3 has that glossy horrible plastic... so I don't want it. Looks like Samsung STILL has issues with GPS (which is still shit with their current and past phones). The HTC One X is the one I am going to go with (I think) - it feels great! They are ALL too damn big thou.[/citation]

My Samsung Transform's GPS works just fine, so would you mind elaborating on why it is "shit"?

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Wow, $249 for a Samsung. Expensive...[/citation]

Compared to several hundred more for phones in other situations, that's not bad at all.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]Does anyone know if I can unlock this phone to work on simple mobile?[/citation]
Nope. SIMple mobile is a GSM carrier with HSPA+ 4G. Verizon uses CDMA with LTE 4G. However, there are GSM versions of the GS3. Your best bet would be a T-Mobile version as T-Mobile also uses GSM and HSPA+, but you'd probably have to double check the compatible frequencies. The AT&T version would also work, but no 4G since AT&T also uses LTE and not HSPA+.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jerm1027[/nom]Nope. SIMple mobile is a GSM carrier with HSPA+ 4G. Verizon uses CDMA with LTE 4G. However, there are GSM versions of the GS3. Your best bet would be a T-Mobile version as T-Mobile also uses GSM and HSPA+, but you'd probably have to double check the compatible frequencies. The AT&T version would also work, but no 4G since AT&T also uses LTE and not HSPA+.[/citation]

I see, thank you! :)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]LTE is the standard now... T-Mobile's BS 4G commercials are just laughable.[/citation]
With data caps, how will you really take advantage of LTE anyway? On my Nexus with T-Mobile, using HSPA+, I can get about 9mbps down/3mbps up, which is plenty. (though admittedly slower than LTE) Heck, I was loading some webpages on EDGE and it wasn't too bad (though definitely slow), so even 3G ought to be plenty. (it's not like there's a reason to stream HD video on a phone anyway...)

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]livebriand[/nom]With data caps, how will you really take advantage of LTE anyway? On my Nexus with T-Mobile, using HSPA+, I can get about 9mbps down/3mbps up, which is plenty. (though admittedly slower than LTE) Heck, I was loading some webpages on EDGE and it wasn't too bad (though definitely slow), so even 3G ought to be plenty. (it's not like there's a reason to stream HD video on a phone anyway...)[/citation]

Sprint doesn't have data caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.