Samsung Galaxy S6 vs. HTC One M9: Android Showdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Florin Popa

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
The first time when htc is winning on paper too... On everyday use it was the better smartphone in the past too... Now I think the gap is even bigger. The only aspect samsung improved is the design... But at the end samsung will sell better... Like always...

abbaskip

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015

Winning on paper? No way in the world Exynos is sooo much better than Snapdragon 810. Higher resolution with S6 is good too, and from all reports the camera is better in the S6 too.

Only advantage the M9 has is the Micro SD and front facing speakers. I plug speakers into my phone, or use headphones, so that's a moot point to me (phone speakers will never replace the real thing) and the 128GB version just about compensates for no Micro SD. On board memory is much faster anyway.

Florin Popa

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Yes maybe I hurry up with decision but we have to wait a little bit, I'm curious about the battery life on s6 with this resolution and only 2550. Maybe I have so many bad experience with Samsung in the last time... I wait to see if they really do something with s6

Mr_Maz

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
what is the point of comapring specs when you don't even known the confirmed specs? and maybe adding some important info regarding specs you do know would help?? i.e. cpu

osalt2

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
For many the deal-breaker is : No SD Slot & No removal battery. Many Samsing buffs will just upgrade to an S5 or look at HTC!
HTC M9 has won this round for sure!

ePractical

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
We'll see if the dropping of two key capabilities that differentiate Android Phone from iPhone and Samsung's move to pretty packaging over more productive capabilities will further erode their leadership and market share.

If Samsung doesn’t leave the Removable battery and make an even easier SD card swapping ability in the Note 5 version of the S6 phone, then I will be staying with my Note 3. And yes the Note 4 also didn't offer enough for me to upgrade.

This is a major problem for the "Productivity" focus Samsung is actively promoting.

Productivity is primarily involved with getting things into Devices. It also requires extended use.

Also, the most important capability for Productivity is 1) much better Handwriting recognition for far more than just “quick Notes”. Next is great general voice recognition (far beyond quick instructions and voice text authoring like DNSpeaking on computers) for use when in private spaces.

Apple remains clueless in these capability (unless you look into their patents) as are other competitors, so, Samsung (with a significant lead in the Note Series) NEEDS to accelerate these PRODUCTIVE CAPABILITIES.

Mr_Maz

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015

if the inbuilt memory and battery performance is as good as they say it is then adding a standard SD card would reduce performance drastically. And if the battery can be charged for 4hours in 10 minutes then a small back-up power-pack is all you need for when your're running low.

If the tech in the phone had stayed the same as the S5 then these changes would be a huge issue, but "fingers crossed" that the step up in tech means that worrying about stuff like this is a thing of the past

techenthusiast99

Estimable
Jan 6, 2015
The htc one m9 has a cleaner interface and has a better battery plus, it is slightly more durable due to its full metal design. In the end it would be my pick. Hope this helps!!

Sam2can

Estimable
Mar 2, 2015
I am a Samsung phone user. And I am upset about the removeable battery and sd card being taken away. It is part of the fabric of a Samsung Phone and was one advantage over an Iphone. Even if they do have fast storage why not give us still the option to put in more storage if we need it.

Marshall Honorof

Editor
Herald
Aug 1, 2013
I'm not sure either phone is "winning" on paper. It seems like each phone has an equal number of potential drawbacks and benefits, but like I said in the post, it'll be hard to tell until we get our hands on both to test them.

Personally, I wouldn't buy either one, as I find both TouchWiz and HTC Sense to be incredibly cloying interfaces that mess up a lot of what makes Android so smooth and intuitive. If I had to pick just one of these, though, based on the specs, I'd go with the S6. I really, really appreciate a high-res screen, even on a small device. You're going to see more beyond-HD video content in the near future, and it never hurts to have a way to watch it.

abbaskip

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Nearly all sources I've said state that the S6 DOES indeed have MHL (though it's only with USB 2.0), so this should be removed as a point of difference.

steve gaudreau

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
I have the htc one m8 harman kardon edition. I almost bought the S5 but htc got smart and decided to listen to the people who didn't by the M7 With no SD Memory card slot. They added it to the M8. So I bought it. As for the removable battery. I've never had to do that. Samsung seriously shot themselves in the foot with the S6. If I wanted an iPhone I'd have bought one

EcoGreenNRG

Estimable
Mar 7, 2015
Those who care about music & sound would be more satisfied with HTC. Those who care about speed would be wise to choose the same. Less crap, debris, whatever comes (don't know technical terms) on Samsung to slow/weigh down (like the BS on standard PC, with programs you never use always running in the background, etc.), the speed will likely not be an issue with HTC. Also, who wants no micro SD & no battery access?

Status
Not open for further replies.