Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 vs Motorola Razr+: Which foldable phone wins?

Aug 17, 2022
You gave the Razr+ wins in TWO separate categories because the Razr+ can open any app on the external display. I'd like to point out that the Galaxy Z Flip 5 can also do this RIGHT NOW by using Samsung's GOODLOCK app, as has been pointed out in many reviews. As this seems to be your main beef with the phone I would recommend you go back and edit the review to reflect this fact as it negates your major problem with the Z Flip 5. As far as battery life, your test yielded ONLY an extra 15 minutes of life on the Razr+. I'd gladly give that up to receive the performance increase that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 provides on the Z Flip 5. Finally, you gush about the vegan leather back on the Razr+. That's only available on 1 color option (the Magenta) and no hetero male is ever going to rock that color. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Aug 1, 2023
What about the fold? Is one more invisible than the other? I personally would prefer no outside screen with resulting price reduction. I like the idea of a folding phone for size and protection of the main screen.

Aug 17, 2022
I owned the Razr+ and the fold seemed pretty good initially, but did get worse and more noticable as time went on. I ended up returning it as the cameras were just too poor. I have the Flip 5 on preorder and we'll see.

Reactions: Shawnee Steve

tproveau

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Hey the IPX8 rating is a requirement in my experience and I am very careful with my phone. Motorola needs to up it's IP rating and it's update commitment as well, before I would even consider one of their phones. The other consideration is that most Motorola phone models get pretty low review scores for many varied reasons.
Samsung it seems does better even in the under $200 category.
I do prefer the Fold over the Flip phones, and the crease on the flip phones has not held up well in the 2022 flip phones for those who use their phone a lot, according to many users who own either brand. Hopefully the 2024 phones will do better in that department as well.
The price, IP rating and screen crease issues of foldables, will keep most of us away for a couple more years at least I suspect.

tproveau

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
What about the fold? Is one more invisible than the other? I personally would prefer no outside screen with resulting price reduction. I like the idea of a folding phone for size and protection of the main screen.
Unfortunatly the only person I know who bought a foldable flip. the Samsung Flip last year, already has a cracked crease area in the center of her phone and Samsung would not fix it under warranty? Now it's a rather expensive paper weight needing a $700 repair and she has gone back to her older LG GX8 while still paying monthly for a broken phone!
That makes me avoid foldables untill they are both less expensive and better quality!

Aug 14, 2023
Being two of the newest foldable phones you can buy right now, our Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 versus Motorola RaZr+ comparison pits these top-contenders to see which is the superior one.

Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 5 vs Motorola Razr+: Which foldable phone wins? : Read more
Ummm....you people have absolutely no clue how the RAZR+ is better than the Samsung. And I'm a married man with the viva magenta color....it's red, in person it is just red. About the same as iPhone project Red. The screens are far superior to Samsung's. 165HZ main, 144Hz front. Much higher resolution plus larger front screen. Same ppi as inner screen. Their is barely a performance difference between these two phones, despite the "half gen newer" SoC in the Samsung. And yes you should be concerned about the sharp crease in the main display of the Samsung. The razr uses their redesigned patented teardrop hinge that bends the screen without creasing it, plus comes from the factory with a 9H hardness special Motorola screen protector installed. You don't open and close these phones by flipping your wrist or anything like that. Open and close it like the 1000 dollars these phones cost. I have used both phones and as.....let's just say an IT, everything about the RAZR+ kicks the Flip 5's rear. I have zero brand loyalty to either brands so that is not swaying my views either direction, but one that does is that the Motorola is using stock android 13, compared to Samsung's cluster of their version of android, why would you want to use Samsung browser instead of chrome on Android? I know it's hard for you Samsung fans to believe any phone could be better than a Samsung. But tons of phones are.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 14, 2023
You gave the Razr+ wins in TWO separate categories because the Razr+ can open any app on the external display. I'd like to point out that the Galaxy Z Flip 5 can also do this RIGHT NOW by using Samsung's GOODLOCK app, as has been pointed out in many reviews. As this seems to be your main beef with the phone I would recommend you go back and edit the review to reflect this fact as it negates your major problem with the Z Flip 5. As far as battery life, your test yielded ONLY an extra 15 minutes of life on the Razr+. I'd gladly give that up to receive the performance increase that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 provides on the Z Flip 5. Finally, you gush about the vegan leather back on the Razr+. That's only available on 1 color option (the Magenta) and no hetero male is ever going to rock that color. Just sayin.
The razr+ can add any app you have natively to the front display to launch it from the front display, natively. Can you play Call of Duty on the front screen of a Flip 5?

Aug 14, 2023
I owned the Razr+ and the fold seemed pretty good initially, but did get worse and more noticable as time went on. I ended up returning it as the cameras were just too poor. I have the Flip 5 on preorder and we'll see.
As the hinge is breaking in, it will loosen, then as the whole hinge fully breaks in it actually stiffens back up, I had the same concern, but decided to see what happened since I love the phone. Glad I stuck with it.

Aug 14, 2023
As far as camera's go, I have been getting extremely good shots from the razr+. I dabble in photography, my DSLR hardly beats the macro shots this thing takes. They have released several camera updates. I have been really enjoying the camera on this pho ne. It's the form factor that limits the cameras. The bottom half of the phone is battery, top half motherboard, screen on each side, 3 camera's, obviously thats overly simplified but you get what I mean about how little sp ace there is for components compared to a standard style smartphone, plus the fact on how ridiculously thin the RAZR+ is when folded open. Same exact with the Flip 5. With both phones you are going to get very similar quality photographs, except you can't get the gorgeous macros that you get with the RAZR+.