News Samsung just revealed The Frame TV 2024 at CES with a game-changing upgrade

Jul 17, 2023
I wonder jus how much difference this will make. I'm hopeful, but I do feel that Samsung misinformed on the previous versions. We have a 50" Frame. The salesman told us it has a separate backlight for art mode that is much lower wattage. Well, I have my TV running through an energy metering smart strip so I know EXACLY how much energy it is using and is typically around 70W when we are watching TV and typically 70-100Watts in art mode. I do believe that is due to it actively adjusting brightness to match ambient light to keep the art looking arty and our couch is right up against a window. But even so, I feel lied to. I dont actually think the salesman was lying. I think he was just being a salesman and confidently espousing the (actually false) information he was given. But it does feel like there was some dishonestly somewhere down the line. That said, its a great TV. We leave it in art mode sometimes, and I just turn it off a lot.

echen

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2014
Whether the LCD refreshes 60Hz or 120Hz it will still need a backlight and use the same power to stay lit. The savings will be on the silicon transistors running in the background to calculate the colors on each pixel. The ultimate solution would be to drop the TV functionality and switch to color E-Ink.

Reactions: Gregdn
Jul 17, 2023
Whether the LCD refreshes 60Hz or 120Hz it will still need a backlight and use the same power to stay lit. The savings will be on the silicon transistors running in the background to calculate the colors on each pixel. The ultimate solution would be to drop the TV functionality and switch to color E-Ink.
Good point. to be fair, only know the total consumption and couldnt begin to say how much of that is backlight vs processing. Yes, a color e-ink would be incredible if it were doable. I'm not sure how E-ink does for refresh rates and if that would then require having a combo of e-ink and perhaps OLED, or if an e-ink could theoretically handle both tasks.

zilexa0

Commendable
Oct 24, 2021
This upgrade is nonsense, The Frame TVs have been 60Hz for a couple of years until they released new models that supported 120Hz.
The fact that recent models kept running in 120Hz mode, when the content did not provide a matching framerate, especially for static content, is more a bug or bad design than anything else.
I have The Frame 2018 (which supports 60Hz max) but only because it was the only TV that can be installed against a wall seamlessly. The picture quality and energy consumption has always been sub-par for every The Frame model.

The day LG releases smaller versions of its G-series (LG G3, LG G4), like 48", 49" or max 50", I will replace The Frame. The LG G series are the only other tv model that can be hanged seamlessly against a wall.

Jan 12, 2024
Will the Art Store updates be limited to the new 2024 models only or will they be coming to the older 2022/2023 models as well?