Solved! Samsung Laptop Power Issues

Jan 24, 2019
Hi, I got a laptop the other day (Model Samsung NP550P5c) with unknown faults. I did the usual troubleshooting methods and the laptop does work but not without issues. I bought a new battery and a new charger both with the ratings needed for the laptop and i'd tested them on my other Samsung laptop to ensure they work, cycling the battery a few times also. The main issue is, when i have the battery in the computer it'll turn on, but not if it's just the charger. Blank, nothing. In addition to that, when the battery and charger are in the laptop shows, plugged in but discharging. I've looked through forums and know that the charger is the right spec, amperage and voltage is all sufficient. It just won't do anything. Any suggestions on what it could be? At the moment i'm suspicious of the fuse by the power jack (Power jack all okay, i checked it) or perhaps another component of the power delivery circuitry. But then again, how would the laptop know the charger was in?

Solution
Are the battery and charger aftermarket rather than OEM? If so, that could be the issue right there. They may have the same specs, but they aren't the same. The can cause all kinds of issues, including damaging a device (worst case scenario). You would be better served returning them and getting OEM ones.

I would start with the battery.
Are the battery and charger aftermarket rather than OEM? If so, that could be the issue right there. They may have the same specs, but they aren't the same. The can cause all kinds of issues, including damaging a device (worst case scenario). You would be better served returning them and getting OEM ones.

I would start with the battery.

Solution