Samsung Magician 4.4 Update causes BSOD SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Yes, I was naive and pressed "Yes" when the update notification for Samsung Magician 4.4 appeared yesterday.
Update procedure went fine and then, while I was working, I had a BSOD where SamsungRapidDiskFltr.sys was mentioned.

In total I had 3 BSOD in 6 hours after updating to 4.4 and then I decided to downgrade to 4.3 again. Unfortunately one has to deinstall the Magician to be able to downgrade.
All the magician setting have to be done again.

Since I didn't find any reports on the net with this failure, I thought I open up a thread and let people chime in if they experience the same issue.

Please stay on topic!
Fireball3

clintonbeetham

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hi Fireball3
I am having magician and its working fine with both EVO and PRO SSD. Can you share you PC model and drivers where the SSD is connected. Magician best suits for MS AHCI drivers and latest drivers for IRST and AMD. Which version of driver you use?
Did you update drivers after RAPID enable on 4.3. If so, then you have to disable and enable RAPID again.
I can help you out to solve BSOD :)

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi clintonbeetham,
my sys:
QuadCore AMD Phenom II X4 945
Gigabyte GA-790XTA-UD4
Chipset AMD 790X, AMD K10
RAM 16384 MB (DDR3-1600)
Windows 7 professional x64

SSD is on the AMD SATA controller
Driverdate 10.09.2010
Driverversion 1.2.1.263

I did not update any driver after installing Magician 4.3 nor after the Magician 4.4 update.
Just checked the Gigabyte homepage for newer drivers for my board - none.

clintonbeetham

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hi Fireball3,
The AMD Drivers that are using is 5 or 4 years old. AMD drivers also have their own issues, it does not block invalid I\O's (Multiple R\W using IO meter) and it corrupts itself sometimes. So I have observed RAPID will go to not activated state which is fine. User needs to reinstall the drivers.

Update with AMD Controllers to "1.2.1.331" which was released in 2012 or later drivers - Its working fine. In Magician user guide also its mentioned to use with latest drivers. Check once and let me know if fixed :)

You can download drivers from AMD drivers site. If you face problem in updating driver let me know :)

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Well, it's a pain finding the right drivers on the AMD site.
I found the AMD SATA AHCI drivers in the catalyst 14.4 package but it has the revision 1.2.001.0359.
Your revision seems newer!? Where is it from?
In addition to that I found this:
http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=447&threadid=163965
The last post is not very encouraging...

With regard to the "other applications running":
One time I was simply browsing the web.
Another time there was a unrar running.
Another time the system was idling.

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Ah, I see. ASUS probably has another naming scheme.
I checked the Gigabyte website for new drivers - no newer ones available.
I will have to try the AMD driver 14.4 but I need some more time - for the event that I get a BSOD on boot.
Then I will need some time to get my system back running.

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
OK, I tried to update to the AMD SATA AHCI driver from the catalys 14.4 suite.
As expected I had problems to boot to OS.
Luckily I had a restore point and was able to go with the "latest known working".
Then I installed the driver out of the 13.4 catalyst package.
This is running at the moment. I will test this change for a while (some days) and then
I'll give the new magician a second chance.
I will report back with my findings.

giorgosperi

Estimable
Dec 6, 2014
Hello, because i have the same issue with 840 EVO and 850 pro with rapid mode enabled. I am getting randomly blue screen, usually when i install something big like adobe cs or something like this. If i deactivate it everything is working fine. I have samsung magician 4.4. What do you suggest? To install 4.3? If someone can help me..I m testing also to see if the issue is from something else...Thank you in advance.

Fireball3

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi,
sorry to hear you got the same problems.
Meanwhile I changed my system and I'm on an Intel based architecture.
I didn't install the 4.4 after updating all drivers.
After having all the bsod with 4.4, I installed the 4.3 again and all was fine.

fiveagainstone

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
I installed magician 4.5 as per my system's prompt.
Rapid wouldn't enable.
Uninstalled 4.5 and reinstalled 4.4.
Tried to enable Rapid--BSOD.
First time, system prompted a restoration point.
Second time BSOD, system would not offer restoration point, can't get in to Safe Mode.
It won't even permit me the option to enter safe mode.
Only variant was running Glarysoft Utilities (bought pro and ran full registry scan)

amd fx8320
m5a99fx pro r2 mobo
crucial ballistix 2x8 1600

fazleskhan

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
Same problems with BSOD and Rapid mode with a new Samsung 840 EVO 1TB. Unfortunately, it last happened during windows update rendering the os non-bootable and it had to be refreshed.

fiveagainstone

Estimable
Dec 10, 2014
I removed the magician folder on another computer, and was able to do a system restore back on the original.
I put 4.5 back on, but haven't enabled rapid.

One of my issues prior was that I Couldn't disable rapid prior to the new 4.5 update. so something was up with my 4.4

Sure would be nice if the developers could figure this one out...

PBKovoor

Estimable
Dec 12, 2014
Hi Mr.Fireball3 ,
>>One of my issues prior was that I Couldn't disable rapid prior to the new 4.5 update. so something was up with my 4.4
After upgrading from 4.4 to 4.5, you have enabled the RAPID mode manually rite?
If there was problem with 4.4 RAPID, during 4.5 RAPID enable time Magician would have asked for special re-boot, have you received any such re-boot messages just before enabling 4.5 RAPID?

-Regards PBK

Sharon_searal

Estimable
Dec 17, 2014

Hi,

Did you do Windows 7 patch update? KB3004394 before magician update? I have heard that the patch has several issue and this is what creates crash for other applciations. Can you confirm if the patch was updated?