Samsung Passes Apple for No.1 Spot in Smartphone Sales

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
All you who claim that Samsung phones are "free", don't forget that Samsung makes most of its money from the Asian market, where you don't have the BS with phones sold with contracts. People pay FULL costs for their Galaxies - that is, $550-700 for a Galaxy S2. iPhone costs the same, and people gladly pick Galaxy over the iPhone.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]return[/nom]@STravis, If you want to take a bunch of negatives you say something like this. No one could even say that Steve jobs was a great guy in these comments. I tried before.[/citation]

Actually my question wasn't to be a jerk, but I was kind of interested why a person would be happy in this outcome. From Apple's standpoint I don't think it makes a lick of difference as they are still selling everything they make (and are even backlogged on their 16GB and 32GB models), but when a poster says they are happy that Samsung (Korean) is beating Apple (US) I'm curious as to why - what is their vested interest?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
MS must be loving these numbers - we already know they make $5 off every Android phone HTC sells; I wonder how much they make off Samsung Android based phones..

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]All you who claim that Samsung phones are "free", don't forget that Samsung makes most of its money from the Asian market, where you don't have the BS with phones sold with contracts. People pay FULL costs for their Galaxies - that is, $550-700 for a Galaxy S2. iPhone costs the same, and people gladly pick Galaxy over the iPhone.[/citation]

Please provide numbers to back up your assertion that the Galaxy S2 outsells the iPhone. We know that Apple sold 17M iPhones in Q3 2011, so are you asserting that Samsung sold more than 17M Galaxy S2s (out of their entire line of 27M phones)?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Also, keep in mind that these are numbers of phones Shipped, not Sold. If you don't think there's a difference, I suggest you mosey on to the local Costco and see how many Galaxy Tabs they have on sale - these are identified as shipped by Samsung (who has already been accused of channel stuffing to inflate their numbers) but obviously the are not yet sold.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Please provide numbers to back up your assertion that the Galaxy S2 outsells the iPhone. We know that Apple sold 17M iPhones in Q3 2011, so are you asserting that Samsung sold more than 17M Galaxy S2s (out of their entire line of 27M phones)?[/citation]

I have NEVER said that SGS2 outsold the iPhones. I merely gave an example of a top model from Samsung which people pay the full price for; same goes for their other devices. They're NOT free. US is NOT the rest of the world; contract BS doesn't work everywhere (luckily).

[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Also, keep in mind that these are numbers of phones Shipped, not Sold. If you don't think there's a difference, I suggest you mosey on to the local Costco and see how many Galaxy Tabs they have on sale - these are identified as shipped by Samsung (who has already been accused of channel stuffing to inflate their numbers) but obviously the are not yet sold.[/citation]

Actually, that is an unofficial estimate. Samsung does not disclose the exact numbers.

Samsung expects sales of mobile devices to remain strong and shipments of flat-panel TVs to increase.

Samsung and LG were recently fined for aboot $195 million for conspiring about the prices on monitors, so let's see what happens to those flat-panels now :lol:

[citation][nom]dillonpeterliam[/nom]C'mon Nokia, show them how its done again . .[/citation]

That'd be lovely, but they missed their chance.

istank

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]Please provide numbers to back up your assertion that the Galaxy S2 outsells the iPhone. We know that Apple sold 17M iPhones in Q3 2011, so are you asserting that Samsung sold more than 17M Galaxy S2s (out of their entire line of 27M phones)?[/citation]

Q3 2011 Sales Marketshare

Nokia 106.6M 27.3%
Samsung 88.0M 22.6%
LG 21.1M 5.4%
ZTE 18.5M 4.7%
Apple 17.1M 4.4%

Fact is apple gained .3% marketshare while Samsung gained 1.7%. I understand that Apple is still in the top 5 for marketshare while only selling a handful of devices. Which proves a point I have been making for quite some time. Apple is horrible when it comes to development time cycles. They had one good idea and never make enough changes to the devices to stay relevant and the iOS and iPhone 4S is making this loud and clear to its customers

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]All you who claim that Samsung phones are "free", don't forget that Samsung makes most of its money from the Asian market, where you don't have the BS with phones sold with contracts. People pay FULL costs for their Galaxies - that is, $550-700 for a Galaxy S2. iPhone costs the same, and people gladly pick Galaxy over the iPhone.[/citation]

The key variable here is how many carriers the two companies make their products available to. Here in the states only about 3-4 carriers have iPhones, in the Asian market maybe one or two. Samsung on the other hand, makes their product available to every carrier out there. Look at markets where both phones are available and you may see some different stats.

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
Keep in mind that the NAND and RAM in the apple iPhone is either from SAMSUNG or Elpida. Either way Samsung is also winning when a iPhone is sold.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]The key variable here is how many carriers the two companies make their products available to. Here in the states only about 3-4 carriers have iPhones, in the Asian market maybe one or two. Samsung on the other hand, makes their product available to every carrier out there. Look at markets where both phones are available and you may see some different stats.[/citation]

Umm... you can use ANY carrier's SIM with ANY phone over here. You buy the device and the contract separately.

Where is Watcha, the Apple shill, when you really want to rub his nose in it

Bah, he'll be here soon enough and we'll hear another BS argument about how Android fanboys suck and Apple kicks ass *yawn*

G

i have to sometimes wonder about this site, i guess i always thought geeks were more logically inclined and level headed folks lol

Once a phone is shipped it is more or less considered money in the bank for Samsung, whether the retailers sells it or not, thats not Samsung's problem, it is why a retailer will only order as many phones as they feel they are able to shift (and often why stores have the temporarily out of stock sign), rarely will a manufacturer take back a shipment of unsold merchandise

With smartphones, market shares actually does matter, even if you make less profit from the phones, smartphones feed the ecosystem around them, you will want the consumer to invest in that ecosystem so when time comes to upgrade they find it more compelling to stay within the same ecosystem (iTunes for example). If your market share is not growing then it could become problematic as your user base will slowly erode over time (there are few die hard fanatics that stay with one brand for life, but in the whole folks like variety and will try other brands once a while)

A more important statistically number would be how many iPhone 4S sold were new users rather then folks upgrading their older iPhones, if it were a significantly low number it would suggest that Apple has reach saturation point and would not make any more significant gains in the market, settling into a niche market that Apple has carved (much like the Mac)

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]SaturationPoint[/nom]i have to sometimes wonder about this site, i guess i always thought geeks were more logically inclined and level headed folks lolOnce a phone is shipped it is more or less considered money in the bank for Samsung, whether the retailers sells it or not, thats not Samsung's problem, it is why a retailer will only order as many phones as they feel they are able to shift (and often why stores have the temporarily out of stock sign), rarely will a manufacturer take back a shipment of unsold merchandiseWith smartphones, market shares actually does matter, even if you make less profit from the phones, smartphones feed the ecosystem around them, you will want the consumer to invest in that ecosystem so when time comes to upgrade they find it more compelling to stay within the same ecosystem (iTunes for example). If your market share is not growing then it could become problematic as your user base will slowly erode over time (there are few die hard fanatics that stay with one brand for life, but in the whole folks like variety and will try other brands once a while)A more important statistically number would be how many iPhone 4S sold were new users rather then folks upgrading their older iPhones, if it were a significantly low number it would suggest that Apple has reach saturation point and would not make any more significant gains in the market, settling into a niche market that Apple has carved (much like the Mac)[/citation]
So does Apple consider a phone sold when it ships as well?
If so then it matters not if it is a sale or a ship for anyone, if they all use the same system to tally numbers then it doesn't matter.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Umm... you can use ANY carrier's SIM with ANY phone over here. You buy the device and the contract separately.[/citation]

Umm...don't know where you are from, but here in the US we can only choose from three carriers. It looks like there are only 1-3 carriers available per country, and knowing Apple I find it hard to believe that they would allow just "any" carrier to use their phones. Here is a complete list: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1937

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Samsung sells a ton of different smart phone's. Ranging from droid to wp7, they even still sell pre Galaxy S1 devices where I live (the really crappy droids lol). Probably 75% of their phones are free. Like said earlier, it's not an accompishment[/citation]
so its not like apple has stopped selling apple iphone 3G......
why i can even find a crappy Iphone 2G on sale if i look around.....(crappy appless LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.