Samsung Passes Apple for No.1 Spot in Smartphone Sales

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
[citation][nom]amk-aka-phantom[/nom]Bah, he'll be here soon enough and we'll hear another BS argument about how Android fanboys suck and Apple kicks ass *yawn*[/citation]

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Where is Watcha, the Apple shill, when you really want to rub his nose in it[/citation]

These figures are like weeks old now, even Yahoo had this article weeks ago.

In terms of the figures themselves, lots of arguments have been made about the fact that Samsung makes much much less profit per phone (so less profit overall), or that Apple sells everything it makes, or the obvious fact that if Apple resigned to making as little profit as Samsung does per phone, their prices would mean they would easily outsell Samsung. Of course, they choose instead to maximise profit by finding the sweet-spot between volume and price.

But I don't think that's the key here. The iPhone 4 was released in June 24th, 2010. That's 17 months ago. The figures quoted here are the last quarterly figures which will come out which don't include the undeniably massive, massive surge of sales caused by bringing out the iPhone 4S. Clearly, you would expect a company like Apple with its regular-ish release cycle and with last quarter being full of iPhone 5 rumours, to post lower sales just before an annual product launch. Indeed, given the 4m iPhone 4S sales in the opening weekend, just 2 days, I would estimate that by now Apple has probably all but completely closed the gap, with a potential to surge back into the lead this quarter.

That all being said, I think Android handsets, as they do have to differentiate themselves on cost more so than Apple, will always end up being the budget option which will get the volume, if not the profit, long term. I don't have any issue with Android doing well, and actually it's nice to see how Samsung has improved from the horrifically bad Samsung Omnia I bought over an iPhone back in the day (boy do I regret that choice). All of this just means more competition which benefits the consumer.

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
I pity the people that buy Samsung smartphones. I had a Samsung smartphone and learned all about Samsung from it. They provided no support for the phone. They crippled the OS so it wouldn't work with a lot of apps, for instance the GPS would not work unless you bought the app from them. I got out of it as soon as I could and bought an iphone, even though I hate Apple. But at least the iphone works, all of it works, and you have your choice of apps for it. It is amazing how much faster the iphone is for accessing the internet, it is like 10 times faster.

sinfulpotato

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]I pity the people that buy Samsung smartphones. I had a Samsung smartphone and learned all about Samsung from it. They provided no support for the phone. They crippled the OS so it wouldn't work with a lot of apps, for instance the GPS would not work unless you bought the app from them. I got out of it as soon as I could and bought an iphone, even though I hate Apple. But at least the iphone works, all of it works, and you have your choice of apps for it. It is amazing how much faster the iphone is for accessing the internet, it is like 10 times faster.[/citation]

You are sadly mistaken.. This is not the fault of Samsung, the phone carriers are to take the majority of the blame for bloating the phones up. Samsung specializes in the hardware and manufacturing, many of the ROMS for the Galaxy line of phones are bases on the STOCK GOOGLE ANDROID from the Nexus S and work.... amazingly.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Well, you got to understand that Samsung controls a bigger market in the East then Apple does, and are head-to-toe in the EU and NA market with Apple. Also, since Samsung is a South Korean based corporation, they are MUCH stronger in S.Korea in the marketing section then Apple will ever be. Factor in that South Korea has the highest population-per-ratio of smartphone/tablet users (I think last time I read was 80%+ of cell phone users owned a smartphone), and what you have is a corporation with a very strong foundation in case something goes wrong overseas (Apple sueing Samsung in EU, Austrailia, etc).

Not only that, Samsung has their own manufacturing line of factories, while Apple doesn't and have to outsource their build to Foxconn and Samsung to make the phones for them. Meaning, Samsung has a much better control in annual volume then Apple will have.

Hopefully, Apple uses their ridiculous fortune to set up a manufacturing line here in the U.S. instead of outsourcing to China or Korea.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]getreal[/nom]blah, blah, blah, I'm all green with envy, blah, blah, no matter what I say I don't seem to convert anyone to Crapple, blah, blah, blah, and now this? Blah![/citation]

Fixed it for you, troll. Now go back in your iHole. Nobody is forcing you to read articles about Samsung or Android phones. Enjoy your iCrap.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Well, you got to understand that Samsung controls a bigger market in the East then Apple does, and are head-to-toe in the EU and NA market with Apple. Also, since Samsung is a South Korean based corporation, they are MUCH stronger in S.Korea in the marketing section then Apple will ever be. Factor in that South Korea has the highest population-per-ratio of smartphone/tablet users (I think last time I read was 80%+ of cell phone users owned a smartphone), and what you have is a corporation with a very strong foundation in case something goes wrong overseas (Apple sueing Samsung in EU, Austrailia, etc).Not only that, Samsung has their own manufacturing line of factories, while Apple doesn't and have to outsource their build to Foxconn and Samsung to make the phones for them. Meaning, Samsung has a much better control in annual volume then Apple will have.Hopefully, Apple uses their ridiculous fortune to set up a manufacturing line here in the U.S. instead of outsourcing to China or Korea.[/citation]
If you think iPhones are expensive now (which they are), wait until they start manufacturing the parts in the US; they'll cost more than double what they're priced right now.

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]My reading comprehension skills are severely lacking, so I will just resort to name-calling. Also, my opinions are stupid, and I am always wrong.[/citation]

This was all I got out of your post, kid.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sinfulpotato[/nom]You are sadly mistaken.. This is not the fault of Samsung, the phone carriers are to take the majority of the blame for bloating the phones up. Samsung specializes in the hardware and manufacturing, many of the ROMS for the Galaxy line of phones are bases on the STOCK GOOGLE ANDROID from the Nexus S and work.... amazingly.[/citation]

Yet, the iPhone does not get any special/crippling features from the carriers? Why do you think that is? Could it be because Apple will not tolerate that?

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]If you think iPhones are expensive now (which they are), wait until they start manufacturing the parts in the US; they'll cost more than double what they're priced right now.[/citation]

You don't understand production lines - that's ok...

G

@back_by_demand

actually the answer is yes, i was unfortunately exposed to the accountants way of thinking, and it basically transcribes that once a product has been made, it will eventually be sold and converted to cash, i had an unholy conversation with an accountant at a major car maker questioning how they can even pretend that those 1000 odd cars unsold sitting in the inventory parking lot for the last 6 months already appear sold on the books and thus show the car maker to be in the green when in reality they maybe in the red (cause there was a hell lot more then just those 1000 cars sitting around in inventory parking lot, not even shipped)

but i digress, in short yes once shipped it is considered sold and the onus now is on the retailer to shift the stock, retailers that are able to shift stock efficiently are given tier 1 designation and given preference when allocation of devices comes around. It's a balancing game for retailers, if you order too much you have too much surplus and penalized, if you order too little you risk having to add a second order which also bears the risk of when the order finally does turn up you may have missed the sales windows and now sitting on surplus, it's all based upon JIT where by surplus is actually considered lost revenue. It is also why a ramp down in Apple's production is taken as an indication of a future product release (to remove the chance of surplus accruing)

inthere

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2006
Why do nerds cheer for multi-billion dollar corporations that they don't own stock in?

Apple=business after your money
Google=business after your money

Both suck. Competition brings down prices.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]If you think iPhones are expensive now (which they are), wait until they start manufacturing the parts in the US; they'll cost more than double what they're priced right now.[/citation]
Haha, I'm not going to argue with you on that one. That is why I added the word "Hope" in front of that sentence because such change wouldn't really be in favor of Apple corp more then it would benefit the American people.

What I meant by that sentence was I'm hopeful that Apple will work together with other smaller companies here in the U.S. and build an all-American manufactured line of products even if they have to reduce their profit margins. Key word hope haha. Because, what most people don't know is Samsung is a group of individual companies working together as one under the brand name of "Samsung". That is why you can see SOOOOO many items with the brand of Samsung printed on it. From household items to entertainment devices to mobile devices hell, they even build ships under the logo name of Samsung.

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
About time! Sammy ftw just shows when a company has a good product it will sell now all they need to work on is fit and finish and even the people screaming iphone will be jealous

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]You don't understand production lines - that's ok...[/citation]
And you don't understand employees' salaries, esp. if backed by union rights/rules. That's OK, too.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
troll feed
@getreal: just gave you a bit of your own medicine, troll. Can't take it? Don't diss it.
Your posts on every Android-related article out there (even those that do not have even the most remote mention of Apple) earned you the Grand Master Troll title. Good to see you're solidifying your ranks, kid.
/troll feed

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]house70[/nom]And you don't understand employees' salaries, esp. if backed by union rights/rules. That's OK, too.[/citation]

You might think that, except that I work for a company that has production lines in the US (and the midwest specifically) building high volume engine controllers. The reality is that the iPhone is a much higher volume than our engine controllers (which simply requires more high speed SMT lines) but has a much lower cycle time and requires less handling. In short the amount of manual labor per iPhone is insignificant.

G

[citation][nom]return[/nom]@STravis, If you want to take a bunch of negatives you say something like this. No one could even say that Steve jobs was a great guy in these comments. I tried before.[/citation]

@STravis , See!! my post has just hidden.

Status
Not open for further replies.