Samsung Prepping Dual-core Phone for Q1 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Forget the technical spec gossip... when will these phone companies make a phone that actually looks nice enough to compete against the iPhone? Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the iPhone but it is one nice looking piece of hardware. So far no other manufacturer comes close to Apple style wise... and that makes me very sad.

alikum

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2008
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]Forget the technical spec gossip... when will these phone companies make a phone that actually looks nice enough to compete against the iPhone? Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of the iPhone but it is one nice looking piece of hardware. So far no other manufacturer comes close to Apple style wise... and that makes me very sad.[/citation]
Define nice enough. Haven't u heard of the phrase? Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]alikum[/nom]Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder.[/citation]

...And the eye that finds an uninspired blob of plastic mess beautiful is a fairly untrained eye.

mkrijt

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cpburns[/nom]...And the eye that finds an uninspired blob of plastic mess beautiful is a fairly untrained eye.[/citation]

more like blind....

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Great, I have a feeling this will go down the SAME path as with PC applications (particularly games). It'll be a while before developers catch up and start making dual-core cell applications.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]So far no other manufacturer comes close to Apple style wise... and that makes me very sad.[/citation]

But... but... most people want a phone that "works"

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cpburns[/nom]...And the eye that finds an uninspired blob of plastic mess beautiful is a fairly untrained eye.[/citation]
You're referring to an iphone? you know - those lumps of melted something with a used apple on the back?

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]But... but... most people want a phone that "works"[/citation]
Exactly my point, in spite of the fact that the iPhone is not the most technically advanced mobile device as well as having design flaws, it is the most popular and the look of the phone is a major reason for that fact. I've not been a huge fan of Apple devices full stop but the iPhone4 is by far the best looking mobile device on the market at the moment... Obviously, in my opinion.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
That's nice Samsung.
My MP3 player from 2008 has a 500MHz dual core. Being a MP3 player with a whole of 2 apps, I have no idea why it has a dual core however (lazy devs?).

cpburns

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]You're referring to an iphone? you know - those lumps of melted something with a used apple on the back?[/citation]

Honestly, was referring to the samsung phone in the article picture. I'm in the same boat as schizofrog: I hate Apple, but I can't deny their designs are beautiful.

In a similar train of thought, I really like what I see about WPS7 OS so far aesthetically. I am, however, fairly depressed by the physical design of the three launch-day devices Tom's reviewed. To mar the launch of an OS that was designed with good looks and usability in mind by coupling it with such boring hardware designs is a shame. Way to kill some of the launch hype, Microsoft partners!

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]cpburns[/nom]Honestly, was referring to the samsung phone in the article picture. I'm in the same boat as schizofrog: I hate Apple, but I can't deny their designs are beautiful[/citation]
But schizofrog admits to being a fan of apple, not hating it? That is probably also why he'd compromise functionality for looks, even if the look is somewhat bland and without style.
Not that the samsung one seems beautiful, but you know ... at least it has a look. It's not some random lump of nothing with a luminated halfeaten apple on the back.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]But schizofrog admits to being a fan of apple, not hating it? That is probably also why he'd compromise functionality for looks, even if the look is somewhat bland and without style. Not that the samsung one seems beautiful, but you know ... at least it has a look. It's not some random lump of nothing with a luminated halfeaten apple on the back.[/citation]
People marking me down are retards. Am I not allowed to say that I do not like the look of most smartphone handsets? When did I say that I am a fan of Apple? I actually said I was NOT a fan. I also made no comment about compromising function for form. My original comment was that I wanted other manufacturers to make their devices as nicely styled as the iPhone. I do not have or want an iPhone... but I would like an Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) on a handset that is nicer than the current offerings from the various manufacturers, although I admit HTC is getting there.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]schizofrog[/nom]People marking me down are retards. Am I not allowed to say that I do not like the look of most smartphone handsets? When did I say that I am a fan of Apple? I actually said I was NOT a fan. I also made no comment about compromising function for form. My original comment was that I wanted other manufacturers to make their devices as nicely styled as the iPhone. I do not have or want an iPhone... but I would like an Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) on a handset that is nicer than the current offerings from the various manufacturers, although I admit HTC is getting there.[/citation]

Are we not allowed to thumb you down to the depths of hell?

''Thou shalt not praise apple, ever.''

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
This obviously wont be visible for very long......but the people on this site are foaming at the mouth fanatics whenever someone mentions apple....

It is really ridiculous and reflects poorly on the site and the viewers

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]This obviously wont be visible for very long......but the people on this site are foaming at the mouth fanatics whenever someone mentions apple....It is really ridiculous and reflects poorly on the site and the viewers[/citation]

Maybe the hatred stems from intimate knowledge of not only the product, but of the company that makes them?

Albyint

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I wonder how big the battery is and how long it lasts as these phones get more "powerful". My step-moms smartphone lasts like 5 hours tops before it dies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Albyint[/nom]Maybe the hatred stems from intimate knowledge of not only the product, but of the company that makes them?[/citation]
Well it is the damdest thing then...because they are bigger than Intel now so they must be making someone happy - and no, they are not all "stupid fanboys" as most posters here would have people believe. Don't get me wrong, have never owned anything apple besides an ipod that is now collecting dust, I love PCs as much as the next guy. But schizofrog has a very valid point, the build quality and look of the iphone4 is fantastic compared to many other phones on the market. Would I rather have an iphone4 running normal android? Absolutely, does not make the phone (seperate from its software) any less appealing. There is also no arguing....the screen on the iphone4 is unmatched.

As for the company part, I agree Steve Jobs is generally a prick and the way he runs Apple is like a small child, but somehow I manage to keep that to myself whenever an apple article comes up

Status
Not open for further replies.