Samsung Prepping Dual-core Phone for Q1 2011

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]That's nice Samsung.My MP3 player from 2008 has a 500MHz dual core. Being a MP3 player with a whole of 2 apps, I have no idea why it has a dual core however (lazy devs?).[/citation]
Because portable devices would soon replace most desktops. So you could basically take your entire computer with you on the go. Or you could dock it on the desk with a full display. That's because most people do not need the computing power, storage, and graphics of a desktop. :)

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]The majority of iPhone haters never had or used one. They just hate something that's popular and gets alot of news. I wouldn't have an apple computer but had their phones since 2007. Mine just works and my 4 gets about 15-17 hours of battery life of general use all day. Don't like it then don't read about it simple.[/citation]
Part of it isn't so much the iPhone (though the strict controls in place by apple is a double-edged sword) BUt a lot of is AT&T. Their service just sucks in so many areas, populated areas too.

captaincharisma

Distinguished
People marking me down are retards. Am I not allowed to say that I do not like the look of most smartphone handsets? When did I say that I am a fan of Apple? I actually said I was NOT a fan. I also made no comment about compromising function for form. My original comment was that I wanted other manufacturers to make their devices as nicely styled as the iPhone. I do not have or want an iPhone... but I would like an Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) on a handset that is nicer than the current offerings from the various manufacturers, although I admit HTC is getting there.

LMAO are your serious? are you 10 years old? you write something especially on the internet wanting everybody to like it and then when they don't you complain that your not allowd to have an opinion? grow up dude or stay off the internet

eltoro

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IMO when it comes to mobile phones there could be a situation of a model being "too powerful".
As a gimmic it's all cool, but when you'd drain your battery in less than a full day of average use, and then be disconnected from the world until you'd reach your charger (home/office/car), such a dual-core phone could loose somewhat of its practical appeal.

bmouse

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
How is it always (seemingly to me, anyway) that some random guy in Russia knows the secrets of these companies? Maybe I don't know what 'blogger' means, but isn't it just someone who reposts random information? Or maybe my geography is off, but isn't Russia on the other side of the planet from these companies? (I do understand geography is a pretty moot point with the interwebs, but I'm just grasping at straws). I just really see no link from 'new technology leaks' to Russia....

G

it's almost retarded, you cant please the apples fanatics, make something similar looking to an iPhone then your just imitating and got no imagination, if you make something that dont look like an iPhone then your inspirationless and got no imagination.....

ap3x

Distinguished
May 17, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]But... but... most people want a phone that "works"[/citation]

My phone and the my colleagues from in other parts of the world phone works great. Just the telco it is attached to in the states that is suspect. Looks like that will change soon so no worries.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
The spammers have assaulted this thread. My Nexus one is still a rockin phone, but I would definitely retire it for a dual core model, although I prefer the metal build of the HTC's I could make the sacrifice.

wcooper007

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]Well it is the damdest thing then...because they are bigger than Intel now so they must be making someone happy - and no, they are not all "stupid fanboys" as most posters here would have people believe. Don't get me wrong, have never owned anything apple besides an ipod that is now collecting dust, I love PCs as much as the next guy. But schizofrog has a very valid point, the build quality and look of the iphone4 is fantastic compared to many other phones on the market. Would I rather have an iphone4 running normal android? Absolutely, does not make the phone (seperate from its software) any less appealing. There is also no arguing....the screen on the iphone4 is unmatched.As for the company part, I agree Steve Jobs is generally a prick and the way he runs Apple is like a small child, but somehow I manage to keep that to myself whenever an apple article comes up[/citation]

UHH dude your a freaking RETARD.... you honestly think that Apple is bigger than Intel.. Becuase i hate to break it too you but every apple computer "if you can call it a computer" has intel product and as a matter of fact most of them use the high end intel hardware.. The only reason intel doesnt have alot of money in the bank at the moment is they bought two huge companies...

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Back to the subject... looks like this dual-core thing will be able to run for about 2 hours, with the current battery technology available. That is, unless Samsung came up with a different tech for it's batteries, as well. I miss the good old days when you could live for a few days separated from the power supply.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
[citation][nom]wcooper007[/nom]UHH dude your a freaking RETARD.... you honestly think that Apple is bigger than Intel.. Becuase i hate to break it too you but every apple computer "if you can call it a computer" has intel product and as a matter of fact most of them use the high end intel hardware.. The only reason intel doesnt have alot of money in the bank at the moment is they bought two huge companies...[/citation]
Apple has more in the bank and makes more every quarter......wikipedia is not even hard research to do man.....

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
Also worth noting is that Samsung was the first licensee to ARM's new GPU. Battery-life issues aside, 2011 will be a fun year for mobile 3D gaming on the go.

Angry Birds can go die in a corner.

miloo

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I wonder when those phone company can make their battery smaller and more powerful
I really hope my phone can do some 24 hours talk time with one single charge ~ that will be awesome XD

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I wish that these smartphones will soon have the capabilities of a netbook, not contrained to apps. Because even if hardware catches up to the level of a netbook, its software isn't up to netbook standards yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS