Samsung Quad-core Galaxy S III Reportedly Just 7mm Thick

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloob

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2012
I agree with the people saying battery > thickness. Actually too slim a phone is bound to have a weaker camera and be annoying to use on longer calls.

junixophobia

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
My wife is complaining already about Galaxy Note dying in just over 5 hours... 3g enabled and skype running in background and some occasional video chat but not that much...

A friend of mine told me he replaced his SII with bigger battery and it lasted for 3 to 4 days... are we going to end up like this in SIII...buying another bigger battery..?

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]adventchild[/nom]@house70, whats wrong with the Motorola Razr's screen?[/citation]
Pentile technology just doesn't look that good in a large screen (individual pixels show up). On a side-by-side comparison, the SGS2 has a better looking screen than a razr/razr maxx.
Of course, this is a subjective thing until you look really close. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...

bboysil

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
I really hope it is a ~2Ghz dual core then a slower quad core... most of the mobile applications don't take advantage of the extra cores nowadays.. but a faster core almost always translates to better performance.
On the other hand I am not sure about power consumption in a dual core 2Ghz vs a quad core 1.5 ghz...

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
Anyone know where we can provide feedback to Samsung directly? I looked around their site but cannot find a place to provide feedback on their products. Instead of complaining on the forum of tom's hardware, it would be nice to have a method to voice our opinions to Samsung directly.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]Anyone know where we can provide feedback to Samsung directly? I looked around their site but cannot find a place to provide feedback on their products. Instead of complaining on the forum of tom's hardware, it would be nice to have a method to voice our opinions to Samsung directly.[/citation]

You're that guy who dials the wrong number, and then asks the person on the other line what the correct number was. Aren't you?

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Will someone just release some new worth while phones please? I thought there were supposed to be like 10 new Tegra3 based phones out by now.... My iPhone contract has expired and Im extremely bored with iOS.. Unless they completely revamp iOS for the iPhone5 launch, Im jumping ship.. And these new ICS quad core phones are very tempting..

Yuka

Distinguished
May 3, 2007
I rather a million times more the same thickness of my S2 if they pack a bigger battery inside!

Come on Samsung, 6h for a full 3G day is a POS nowadays! Give me 24h or more. I'm sure you can adding more battery to it and 99% of the people won't mind the extra thickness or weight.

Cheers!

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I agree with the consensus, the S2 is thin enough. Even that one(which I own) is borderline too thin and almost dfficult to handle. Battery life ftw. I agree, make it 9mm with great battery life and a great camera, and not 7mm with crap battery life.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
I fail to see the point in the phone being 7mm thick. I think it would have been better that the phone was 10mm and they filled that extra space with a battery.

fractalsphere

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
Make it a couple millimeters thicker (EVO and EVO3D are like 12-13 mm) and cram the rest of that thickness with battery - I won't mind! =)

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]Vladislaus[/nom]I fail to see the point in the phone being 7mm thick. I think it would have been better that the phone was 10mm and they filled that extra space with a battery.[/citation]
Samsung have always endevoured to have thinner phones, even in the dumbphone era, I used to own a Samsung U100, 5.9mm thin and it was brilliant. Sure the battery sucked compared to other phones and the camera was rubbish, the media features laughable, but at the time I only needed a phone to do 2 things, call people or text.
Things have moved on a bit and now people expect their phone to make them a cup of coffee in the morning, wash the car and take the dog for a walk, but the race for thinner and lighter has been entered by everyone including Apple, Nokia and Motorola.
Next stop is the phone like the one Tony Stark has in Iron Man 2.
iron-man-2-case-study--perceptionnyc.com-1-headline.jpg

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
7mm thick with 10 minutes of battery life. Honestly, I don't care how thick it is. I just don't want to have to charge it every 12 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.