Samsung Reveals External 3D Blu-ray Combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
I prefer to watch move in good old 2D because i don't need glasses, and the picture is clear and sharp everywhere.

as a kid i watched Jaws in 3D (70's) and was less than impressed (and if you can't impress kid, something is wrong). Spielberg being smart guy, didn't do it again.
Then there was hipe about 3D on PC and - it failed of course.
Then some genius comes up with idea to bring that same failed product to TV platform.
sigh...

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
[citation][nom]ik242[/nom]I prefer to watch move in good old 2D because i don't need glasses, and the picture is clear and sharp everywhere. as a kid i watched Jaws in 3D (70's) and was less than impressed (and if you can't impress kid, something is wrong). Spielberg being smart guy, didn't do it again. Then there was hipe about 3D on PC and - it failed of course.Then some genius comes up with idea to bring that same failed product to TV platform. sigh...[/citation]

Different technology nowadays. It's far more advanced then what was around in the 70's bud. I for one don't like 3D either, but your logic is flawed. If people want it, let them have it. Even if the shark still looks fake.

djab

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
what is the difference between this product and any other external blu-ray player?
I thought that in the end, it is the pc that is doing the decoding of the 3D, not the blu-ray player ...

Or does it have internal gpu to decode 3D and then just stream the frames to underpowered pcs like netbook?

And as kartu said if your monitor is not 3D compatible, how can you watch 3D content on it? (not counting red/cyan anaglyph 3D).

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
Televisions are not 3d. They *support* 2d. They do this by being fast enough (hdmi interface and panel refresh rate) to support the double framerate needed. Computer monitors have been fast enough for this since 2004-ish. All you need is active glasses and software that can render into 3d alternate frames.

mavchoi

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
If Blu-ray drive for PC supports 3D, it means its minimum reading speed is 4X.
Even though its maximum speed is 6X, some drives do not support 4X on inner disc section where the drive reads at slowest speed.
By keeping the minimum reading speed over 4X, the Blu-ray drive can enable the CPU realize 3D on 3D monitors. (CPU decodes: this BD does not have GPU nor CPU inside.)

In addition, USB 2.0 is fast enough to realize 3D on PC as the data is still encoded while transferred from BD drive to PC.
From PC to monitor, the connection should be HDMI, though.

G

This is nice! Converting a 2D movie to 3D, but will this require the specific specs or not? Please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.