Samsung S7 photo albums

Solution
Unfortunately the program that comes with most phones doesn't allow for choice of how they are arranged.

There are some apps you can get that will allow arranging them for use in that app.

Or you could do what I do..

1. I connect the phone into a computer, via USB.
2. Move all the images/photos over to an empty folder on the computer.
3. Create sub-folders for where you want the images/photos kept.
4. Rename any images/photos to place them in the order you want.
5. Then copy them all (including the folders) over to your phone.
6. Be sure to keep a copy on the computer, so should your phone die, get lost, stolen, etc., you don't lose said images/photos.

It is, and isn't, a tad more work. Yes, you are doing a lot (listed above)...
Unfortunately the program that comes with most phones doesn't allow for choice of how they are arranged.

There are some apps you can get that will allow arranging them for use in that app.

Or you could do what I do..

1. I connect the phone into a computer, via USB.
2. Move all the images/photos over to an empty folder on the computer.
3. Create sub-folders for where you want the images/photos kept.
4. Rename any images/photos to place them in the order you want.
5. Then copy them all (including the folders) over to your phone.
6. Be sure to keep a copy on the computer, so should your phone die, get lost, stolen, etc., you don't lose said images/photos.

It is, and isn't, a tad more work. Yes, you are doing a lot (listed above), however, since it is being done on computer, it can be done much faster than on a phone.

Solution

Leo_9

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Dear webworkings. I tried your technique using my desktop computer, merging my wife's vacation photos with mine for a slideshow and rearranging the order of some. My S7 photo gallery still insists on displaying the photos newest to oldest and the slide show does too. Not the way I want to show the pictures of my trip :(

That is really really odd. Granted you can't just move them around and leave them as they were (named wise) and get them to stay in a different order, but if you rename them on the computer, to put them in the order you want. Then place them on the phone in that order, it should stay that way.

You would have to completely remove them off the device to start and then they should arrange correctly when the new named files are put back. If it isn't doing that, I would start to wonder about the app that your device is using. You may want to try a different gallery/photo viewing app.

Leo_9

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017

Leo_9

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
Thanks. For now, I've installed QuickPic only because it will allow me to sort my slides by name and show them in a slideshow in name order. However, I'm retaining the Samsung app app because it has better editing capabilities. A little frustrating to have to keep both on my phone, but it'll have to do unless someone has a better suggestion.

Nick_184

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

Nick_184

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
I too thought it is but it didn't work. I've even removed all personal details using the pc so that the date taken is removed. But it still finds a way to keep its order over mine.
Funny enough if you vue the folder saved on the phone via the pc the photos are in my order.

Still trying to find a solution....

emaris

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

emaris

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
dear leo_9, this is what i did:
1. placed all my photos in Microsoft Powerpoint. arranged them the way i want to.
2. save as jpeg, all slides. it will automatically save in one folder.
3. open the folder and Sort by Date, Descending.
4. then Copy from folder in PC to your Samsung.
now, all my photos are organized and shown the way i want them to.

Leo_9

Commendable
Jan 29, 2017
I believe that the native app will always sort by time stamp, that when you rresaved your pictures as JPEG they got new time stamps, and that is why it worked for you. It's a good solution, but quicker for me to just rename my files and use QuickPic to display in name order

Mathieu_7

Prominent
May 5, 2017
I found a way. Has to be done individually so its annoying but you can do it with at least one picture to make that one show as first. Because they are time stamped, you can select one ( im on nougat ) then click the 3 dots, upper-right corner. Then click on details, then edit and change the name by one character. This will push those pictures to the top.