Samsung Says You Need a Fridge With Wi-Fi

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

athreex

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2008
perfect...another place to watch Rick Astley spam video..best of all...in the middle of a yummy cookin'.

[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]Can it refrigerate Crysis?[/citation]

you should be the one refrigerated for that comment my friend :)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]aron311[/nom]No thanks, just a water cooler and ice dispenser..[/citation]
My fridge doesn't even have a ice dispenser. We use those good old fashioned things called 'ice trays'.
I know, it's barbaric.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Imagine the overclocking potential with that sort of cooling...

Anyway, LG brought out an internet fridge a few years back. Guess what happened to that?...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Well, I could see 3 uses for this, providing they eventually add a webcam:

1. Scan the content of my fridge and show me recipes to do with the food I have.
2. Read the expiration date of the packaging and alert me of soon-to-be-spoiled food.
3. As mianmian said, show me what I have in the fridge remotely so I know what to pick up at the store after work.

Farfetched? Not that much...

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Well, I could see 3 uses for this, providing they eventually add a webcam:1. Scan the content of my fridge and show me recipes to do with the food I have.2. Read the expiration date of the packaging and alert me of soon-to-be-spoiled food.3. As mianmian said, show me what I have in the fridge remotely so I know what to pick up at the store after work.Farfetched? Not that much...[/citation]

Not far fetched at all. Barcode scanning has been done with webcams very successfully for ages now (e.g. Delicious Library). You only have two hands after all so can only put one or two items in to the fridge on each move, holding that stuff up to a camera wouldn't take much longer. Even better, maybe packaging could also be sold with rfid chips in to allow wireless scanning of item, expiry etc.

I'm sure we'll end up with this kind of technology within the next 10-25 years. Just a few years ago my girlfriend would often carry a cookbook into the kitchen. Now 9 times out of 10 when she needs a recipe, she carries her laptop in instead.

G

The features provided are fairly useless. If I buy a fridge with wi-fi, it needs to have temperature monitoring, inventory with barcode scanning and expiry entry, ice cube `ready` notification and weight (to estimate quantity,) etc.

Who care about a fridge, though, when you've got a girl like that sitting next to it!

G

Miele a german brand has wifi in there fridge too, you get lifetime monitoring for free frome it ! hmm korean or german ?

Status
Not open for further replies.