Samsung smart tv not connecting to router through wired ethernet

Status
Not open for further replies.

nolizk

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016
Hi everyone, I have a brand new Samsung Smart Hub TV. Right out of the box, the wired connection will not connect to the router. I have checked the ethernet cable that is connecting tv and router with my computer and it works fine but TV will not connect. WiFi is working on the tv but I would like to have a wired connection for better speeds.

Thanks!

Stupid question: Did you push the cable far in enough to feel a solid click?

More input please.

Typically the TV goes through at least 2 phases during ethernet configuration. Phase1 says "I got an IP Address" DID THAT FAILED? then Phase2, it goes ahead and attempt to actually "talk" to the Internet. If Phase1 fails, obvious it wouldn't even go through Phase2.

RJ45 typically have 2 tinny LED on each side. OK TV maybe too cheap to have them on but surely the Switch port where the other end of that cable is connected have them. WHAT DO THE LEDs SAY? They are there for a reason. Consult the switch manual to find out what the LED light pattern signify.

nolizk

Commendable
Feb 24, 2016

Hahaha... with pleasure. Unfortunately, it does not even get an IP address so the problem is tv to router, not tv to internet. I did look for the led lights on the router but not on the tv (even though it was expensive I could not tell if it even has the lights. The tv software did recognize that a cable was connected, though.

Thanks for the help!

Bill92691

Commendable
May 2, 2016
Go to Menu-network- network settings, tv will show that is connected to the router but not the internet, select IP settings and only change the DNS Server numbers from auto to manual and change the numbers to 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 then reset smart hub

Optimus Vader

Commendable
Nov 25, 2016

This might apply to the problem I am having.

I have a 60" Samsung Smart TV. A wired connection to my Google OnHub which works, but won't reconnect after the TV gets turned off and back on. It acts like it doesn't sense any connection until I restart my the router via the app and then it works fine. I'm guessing this is some sort of DNS/IP problem but I don't know exactly what I need to do to solve it. Both a roku and a steam box have worked in the exact same location without needing anything special.

Thanks!

ET Atlanta

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016
I solved the problem by finding the DNS associated with my home network. In my case I have Windows 10 on my computer and in Settings I went to Network & Internet. Clicking on my network I found the DNS (not 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4 or any of those commonly listed). I plugged this DNS into the Samsung Smart TV settings for ethernet and behold it has worked perfectly ever since.

Status
Not open for further replies.