Solved! Samsung Smart TV not playing Camorder AVI files

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cathy Semi-Geek

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2008
I have a Samsung Smart TV with a USB Stick for wireless connection to my home network. I have hundreds of home videos on my PC and laptop. Some are from a JVC camcorder I had from 1995 - 2001. The files are in AVI format. I have many more home movies from a Canon camcorder I bought in 2006. I also have two digital still cameras that make video files - a Panasonic that creates .MOV format and a Canon that creates .AVI format. I can play the movie files from both of the still cameras, but when I try to play the .AVI files from either camcorder, the TV gives me a message that it doesn't have the codec or doesn't support that format, etc. All the camcorder files were captured via a DV or USB cable to my PC. I think some of them were captured direct to the PC (no software used) and many were captured using Ulead or Pinnacle. But I have no way to know which. All of these AVI files play fine on any media player on my PC. If the Samsung TV needs a codec, how do I work around that? Thanks

Solution
use Freemake Video converter, your TV probably needs it as MP4 stereo H.264 or 265 AAC or MP3 Sound
you need to look into the manual for your television to see what type of movies it will actually run.

http://www.freemake.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.