Solved! Samsung Smart TV + Yamaha receiver not saving cable box settings

Mkoertel

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017
Hi all,

I recent installed a new Samsung Smart TV with a new Yamaha RXV381 receiver. Initially, I had them connected through their respective HDMI 1 ports; this weekend, I wanted to make use of the ARC settings for the Smart TV apps (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, etc.) to be played in the surround sound speakers, so I switched ports in the TV to HDMI 3 which supported ARC. To clarify, HDMI 1 in the receiver is the appropriate port.

The sound works fine -- no issues there. However, it seems that each time I turn off the TV (and subsequently the receiver since it is all integrated), my cable settings are lost each time I turn it back on. I don't NEED to go through the TV set up each time, but to use the cable box features with the Smart remote, it requires me to do so.

Any work around for this, or know what is potentially happening?

Thanks!

Solution
Just to clarify. The problem is that when you turn off the TV the TV remote will not operate the cable box when you turn it back on again and you have to redo that part of the set up every time?
That would only involve the TV set and the remote. I would contact Samsung. There might be a firmware upgrade to correct the problem.
Just to clarify. The problem is that when you turn off the TV the TV remote will not operate the cable box when you turn it back on again and you have to redo that part of the set up every time?
That would only involve the TV set and the remote. I would contact Samsung. There might be a firmware upgrade to correct the problem.

Solution

Mkoertel

Prominent
Jun 25, 2017

Thanks for the reply! Let me see if I can clarify a bit further...

When I turn off the TV, then turn it back on, it doesn't recognize the settings for the cable box. It'll say "Set up TV" each time I turn the TV on; it recognizes that the cable box (Charter Spectrum, if it matters) and the receiver are there, but it doesn't save the settings. I have to go through the set up to select "Charter Spectrum..." and "Yamaha RXV381" all just to use the remote to its full-capacity. It's a minor issue, because I can use the cable remote... however, I now have 3 remotes to operate a TV.

I've done a firmware update on both the TV and receiver, and nothing has changed -- just FYI. I'll also follow-up with Samsung to see if they have any answers, as well. Thanks!

pickuptruck

Prominent
Jul 17, 2017

I have the same problem! Did you find the solution?