Samsung Tablet May Not Be So Expensive After All

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]Bottom line: If Samsung sells it for $200-$300 unsubsidized then it's not as good as an iPad. If it's superior to the iPad then Samsung will sell it for the same price as the iPad.Samsung is a business and they exist to make money, plain and simple. There's no way they will sell a superior product to the iPad AND substantialy discount it - that's like throwing money away.[/citation]
Or maybe Samsung just want take on Apple market share big time, scoring headshot to iPad :)
I guess only time will show.

sactownbwoy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2006
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]are you people even listening? they are saying that is the SUBSIDISED price! its like saying the iphone only costs $99...yes, it may be $200 or $300... plus $1000+ over the 24 months for the contract...[/citation]

Are you listening? Straight from the last paragraph of the article...

" However, it's not clear if the $200 - $300 pricing represents an already subsidized price from carriers or if the price will sink even lower when tied to a data contact."

G

There is no possibility that hardware with those specs could be sold for $200-300 without a subsidy, unless Samsung is going to ballot availability since they'd basically be giving stuff away for free.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
my biggest issue with tablet devices ,is what wouldi do with one ???

1. i'm a game art design student , 3ds max is hard pressed to run good on all but the highest end lap tops and at least middle end gaming (or work station) desktops . i srue even if this ahd a full windows OS 3ds max would be a no go for it.

2. point 1 aside , being that i'ma game art student , ir arely get out of the house , so the "mobility factor" is not important on my lsit of device needs.

3. i'm not much for web browsing, chatting and social networking, i do go to school online but that and games are the only things that keep my attention glued to a pc. i rarely check my face book page, and when i don't have class i'm even worse about checking emails.

I'm sure a pad device willbe great for some one, and i do admit i'm intriqued by the tech behind such devices , but as things stand i lack teh interest to really care much about what one cost or will not cost .. ( i certainly wont get an ipad) there are a few things i'd love to see a pad device do , and if they did do these i'djump on it in a heart beat.

1. Function as a drawing pad similar to a wacom tablet (would beat teh crap out of drawing with my wacom tablet)

2. hook up directly to my pc to transfer files (reason being for nukmber 1 above), though i'm sure they already do this ,(i could be mistaken) but drawing pad functions witha digital pen would be pointless if i couldtn easily and directly transfer drawing to my pc for use in 3ds max or photoshop.

akk things said pads are interesting devices, just not very useful to me personally at the moment butr i could see them being quite useful with expanded capabilities geared towards comercial art fields.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]tmc[/nom]Andoid based tablets, a tablet named galaxy.. can't wait for the next star wars reference.. no dobut everyone will be chomping at the bit to get android o/s with jav(bb)a the hut embedded. I assume those prices are UNSUBSIDIZED by a contract. If they are than they're a good deal for a 16/32gb version plus a SDHC slot, usb host for expansion/development. I'm looking for something to replace my Zen Vision M 30gb media player. I'll add this to my list if it does all I want it to.. Sofar I've been disappointed with Archos products, they always seem to come SO CLOSE to a perfect product and then support it like crap and have so many walled gardens on features.[/citation]

and this years "biggest dummy in the galaxy " award goes to .......(drum roll) you get the idea

first off android is not aword that star wars invented the diea and word exsisted many many years before star wars was even a thought in george's little pea brain.

secondly how in the hell is galaxy a star wars refrence ???? you do realize taht we are inside a galaxy it is not soemthign that george lucas made up. again teh word is much older than star wars. i think you are wanting to beleive that every one is riping star wars ,simply because one company did it (jedi mind inc. , now just called mind inc. )

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
Will definitely purchase the Galaxy tablet if there is a voice and data plan available. Don't need a device like this with just a data plan.

chunkymonster

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2006
[citation][nom]chunkymonster[/nom]Will definitely purchase the Galaxy tablet if there is a voice and data plan available. Don't need a device like this with just a data plan.[/citation]Well I'll be, according to the Samsung pres release, the Galaxy tablet will have voice capability.
With 3G HSUPA connectivity, 802.11n Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth® 3.0, the Samsung GALAXY Tab enhances users' mobile communication on a whole new level. Video conferencing and push email on the large 7-inch display make communication more smooth and efficient. For voice telephony, the Samsung GALAXY Tab turns out to be a perfect speakerphone on the desk, or a mobile phone on the move via Bluetooth® headset.
Seems like whether the choice of voice/data or data only plans will come down to the carrier.

Bonus if its ties to Verizon...at least where I live...hurry and wait, I suppose.

G

@build6

how much do you think it cost to make an iPad, i believe the general consensus is around $300. Now bear in mind unlike apple, Samsung can fab the whole thing in house, Samsung has their own screen fab, chip fab, PCB fab the whole shebang, so they might be scraping the barrel for a while, but Samsung has cost optimization and economies of scale to their advantage. Put this into terms of a product lifecycle and you'll see the first few are going to scape the bottom of the operating margins but once the break even point has been reach (near the middle of a product lifecycle) the product becomes significantly more profitable (due to economies of scale and cost optimization)

It's standard practice if you want to break a new market and the concept behind loss leaders, you factor in predicted sales and process improvements then average the cost across the life of the product, if Samsung was able to capture the market the economies of scale alone could offset the low profitability of the product and thats not even factoring cost optimization

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
All credit to Apple, they had 2 versions.
1 with cell support and 1 with just wifi.
OK
Why can't anyone else do a wifi-only model too, its easy enough to get a MiFi to get data access and would cost a lot less.
Plus, battery life would be better as you aren't hitting it with web traffic all the time.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]hang-the-9[/nom]This thing as a cell phone is about as neat as taping a dinner plate to the side of your head.This would have some options as a speaker phone setup or a house phone with some headsets.[/citation]
Bluetooth headset?

zaznet

Distinguished
May 10, 2010
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]does it have camera, mic, and speaker?if so, with Google Voice, you have a DAMM fine cell phone of sort....[/citation]

Yes, yes and yes.

It has front and back facing cameras and built in speaker phone. It's bulky enough you won't want to hold it to your face to talk as a normal cell phone but using bluetooth or speaker phone are good options.

I don't want a pad on a contract but a phone that is almost the size of a pad is in an interesting position. The question is can this thing be really as portable as my cell phone and I don't think so.

neilnh

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2009
[citation][nom]matt87_50[/nom]"would be brought down considerably by carrier subsidies."no one wants another 24 month contract.why the hell didn't they do it like apple with prepaid? I can't imagine anyone in their right mind who his going to pay for a 24 month contract for this, AND their phone, AND their home internet.or am I wrong? is the US actually an economic power house at the moment?[/citation]

No, but we're really good at getting into debt. We'll buy anything if you let us pay for it monthly... Really though, it's why I still don't have a smartphone. I already pay for internet at home. Do I really need to pay another $30-$40 per month for internet everywhere? I'd rather retire early or pay for my kids' college.

G

$200/300 will be the subsidized price for locked-in 3G versions. Wifi only version will cost $500- WAY TOO HIGH. That's almost as much as an iPad, and the next-gen smaller iPad will be around there. To gain market share, wifi-only needs to cost around $300, the price point where netbooks succeeded, a price that would appeal to normal humans.

Status
Not open for further replies.