Samsung tv to older Home Theater/DVD

Krista Anderson

Estimable
Dec 26, 2014
I just bought a 40" Samsung TV model # UN40H5500AF thought I could hooki it up to my Philips DVD/Home Theater system HTS3450. Couldn't do that because the tv doesn't have the same audio in/out as the system It has the HDMI or Digital Audio out but my system has the older coax/rca audio plugs. I bought the monoprice 5557 HDMI box but no luck on getting anything to work with the box. I can use the dvd and hear sound out of the home theater with the dvd but really wanted to use it for the tv as well. I do not have a cable box or such because I don't have cable I just use Hulu Netflix excetera Is there any way to get the sound to work for just the regular shows? I hate to buy a sound system for the tv when the other one works for the dvds, its hardly used and in good shape. Don't want to buy new dvd player sound etc just for this!!

Solution
Dude, i hate to say it, but that TV is too hightech for what you're watching on the DVD player. HDMI is the ultimate Home Theather solution.

The best way to recognize a solution to your problem is to know the components a bit.

Anything that you output by the TV (like TV shows and what not) needs to be received by something else (that is a AV Receiver) in order to project the audio (as you're asking to do).

Now if you care to listen everything you watch in surround sound then you need a

1) Sound Bar (which will help amplify the tv's weak speakesr, but won't necessarily give you the best bass). The bars can run up to $1,000 (you can get a budget one for under $300). these tend to be the cleanest looking ones (no cables no mess)

or...

tachybana

Honorable
Feb 11, 2013
Dude, i hate to say it, but that TV is too hightech for what you're watching on the DVD player. HDMI is the ultimate Home Theather solution.

The best way to recognize a solution to your problem is to know the components a bit.

Anything that you output by the TV (like TV shows and what not) needs to be received by something else (that is a AV Receiver) in order to project the audio (as you're asking to do).

Now if you care to listen everything you watch in surround sound then you need a

1) Sound Bar (which will help amplify the tv's weak speakesr, but won't necessarily give you the best bass). The bars can run up to $1,000 (you can get a budget one for under $300). these tend to be the cleanest looking ones (no cables no mess)

or

2) you can get a av receiver. You have some outstanding choices out there, Denon is the most recognize with quite a few bell and whistles. You don't have buy the latest one (just one with 2-3 hmdi inputs, or 1 o 2 yr ago model) for your needs you can get one for under $250. Now the only flaw that you must add speaker (you can start with a budget speaker for the time being till you can upgrade to something better later on). You can't go wrong with this being that it will amplify your viewing experience.

Best Luck

Solution