Samsung Wave Comes Packed with Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhansonxi

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
A Windows virus on the microSD card for a non-Windows phone is unlikely to occur unintentionally. This leaves the question - stupidity or conspiracy?

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
I vote for stupidity and sheer laziness. Cards are probably loaded from a computer running Windows SP2 with an out-of-date copy of AVG on it. The IT guy at my work it a bit of a Mac slinging douche with no intentions of upgrading our computers from SP2 with IE6. This happens everywhere and it usually takes an issue like this to kick an IT department into action.

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
as annoying as it is I'm always fascinated by how much like life viruses have become. they manufacture computers in clean rooms to keep out dust and bugs and the like. soon their going to have to start using "digital" clean rooms to keep unwanted viruses out of software.

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]jaysbob[/nom]as annoying as it is I'm always fascinated by how much like life viruses have become. they manufacture computers in clean rooms to keep out dust and bugs and the like. soon their going to have to start using "digital" clean rooms to keep unwanted viruses out of software.[/citation]

They should already be doing this...

All of my IT/IS testing environments are sterile. I wouldn't dare create any deployments in a compromised setting. That's just asking to get fired/sued.

4ILY45

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
[citation][nom]omikron48[/nom]That's why the first thing you do after installing a fresh copy of Windows is disable the autorun feature.[/citation]

or one can just download a Panda USB vaccine..

http://www.pandasecurity.com/homeusers/downloads/usbvaccine/

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Left scratching my head over the actual payload.

According to some reports this file launches Win32/Heur trojan. Maybe other people can verify this in more details.

jd91651

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
"jhansonxi 06/02/2010 10:40 PM
A Windows virus on the microSD card for a non-Windows phone is unlikely to occur unintentionally. This leaves the question - stupidity or conspiracy?"

You missed the point. The cards were infected while being loaded with the media AND attached to a pc. Then the sd card(s) went to production where it was populated to other sd cards.
So conspiracy is less likely but stupidity ... definitely.

Status
Not open for further replies.