Samsung: We'll Ship 10,000,000 Galaxy Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
So that means they predict the global market for tablets will be 30 million next year? Seems a little much to me. They are basically larger PDAs which I thought nobody was interested in anymore because nobody wanted to carry both a phone and a PDA. Does this mean people are going to stop carrying cell phones now, and just Text and IM?

getreal

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Looks like Samsung is going to lose a lot of money. I doubt they sell more than 50,000 of these cheap, iPad wannabes.

jojesa

Distinguished
Correction:
"Samsung: We'll Ship 10,000 Galaxy Tabs"
If I'm able to do on this table what I'm able to do on my netbook...then I will get one.
So that will be 10,001

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]tntom[/nom]So that means they predict the global market for tablets will be 30 million next year? Seems a little much to me. They are basically larger PDAs which I thought nobody was interested in anymore because nobody wanted to carry both a phone and a PDA. Does this mean people are going to stop carrying cell phones now, and just Text and IM?[/citation]

This is a notebook replacement, not a cell phone replacement. Nobody is expecting you to carry around a 7"-10" tablet and hold it up to your face.

What I've come to realize is that most people, myself included, don't actually have a use for a laptop other than the fact that it is more portable than a desktop. I would much rather have a desktop and a tablet such as this than just a notebook. Think about what most people do with their notebooks... it's all nonsense. I've got a desktop I assembled, a MacBook Pro, and a BlackBerry Bold. I would love to sell the MBP, replace it with a tablet such as this, and rock on with the desktop whenever I need the heavy lifting.

Of course all of this is predicated on this device not costing an arm and a leg. Sorry but I don't sign contracts with cell providers and I'm not spending more than $400 on this kind of a device. If Samsung expects to sell 10,000,000 of these the price better be less than half of the estimated $1,000 and it better be WITHOUT carrier subsidies.

ms1191

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
[citation][nom]fatdoi[/nom]iFanboys stop saying this is a wannabe.... it can do flash, has usb... why does it want to copy crapple?[/citation]

Agreed, calling this a "wannabe" makes no sense what-so-ever.

yellowblue

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
Good news. That device should end up within 400$ price range if they wanted to have that much market share. They already manufacture most of the components anyway so selling it within that price is feasible.

victorintelr

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Wannabe...mmm...
Actually it's called Inverse Psychology. The iFanboys want the Apple iPad to be like the Galaxy Tab, with flash, USB, and even a memory slot... ;-)

MasterM40

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I agree with the statements of pricing it low, if they expect to eat into the tablet market and expand it then they will have to drop that price! I STILL DONT SEE the coolness of the tablet frenzy but whatever melts your butter, or in this case melts your pockets

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I like the size. If it has actual phone capabilities, I just might look into it. Looks just a bit bigger than the DROID X. Can't deal with small touch screens with a puny stylus

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
Now I am not saying that they won't reach this number. I just reckon there are a whole bunch of Andriod tablets coming on the horizon Samsung will have competition on their hands. For me the resolution is not there on this one. I will get an Andriod tablet but probably not this one.

saturnus

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The Galaxy Tab is indeed a phone replacement as well as a netbook replacement. I hardly think anybody, even Samsung, is expecting you to hold it to your face though, which is why it supports bluetooth and wired headsets, and video conferencing.

I think many here are missing the market that is most interesting to tablets in general but have been very slow to adapt to them so far, and that's in the business area, where managers and representatives want something that has a larger screen to view documents on, and something that has longer battery life and is less cumbersome than a laptop/netbook. Most of these people already have a company phone and use headsets, this is where the big market for these tablets are.

dizzycriminal

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
The iPad is too expensive for the average consumer, if this is priced right and offers the right features this could undercut Apple and really take off.

Status
Not open for further replies.