Samsung's $120K, 105-inch TV: Better Than a Porsche?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
Not that I can afford anything like this, but I am surprised that the high end UHD TV sets are capping out at under 110". I mean, the image on that would be 'only' 7.6'x4'. You would think that someone would make a 140" screen that would have a 10x6' display for that projector-like experience without all of the lighting and contrast issues of a projector. I mean these people have money... and you only have to sell a few to make it worth your while.

Personally I am waiting for a 40" UHD TV that can double as a decent computer monitor for under $1K, and a UHD projector for under $2K... it may take a while.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
A friend of mine ise is building a huge multi-million dollar home and putting in a home theater with a 120" 4K/3D projector screen setup. The complete finished cost, including stadium seats, ambient lights, decorations, and sound system is ~$80k. Even he's not stupid enough to waste $120k on an HDTV alone.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
I only clicked this article to see the comments.

incorrect, you clicked the article to post a lame comment in a attempt to get thumb ups and feel special. =P

and
Why would anyone buy this when hey could buy Sony's 4k projector which is only $9000 on ebay. and can go up to 300" and is also 3D http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sony-VPL-VW600ES.htm

the clarity and color of a lcd tv exceeds even the best projectors. So for the super rich they can now have a better than movie theater experience with something like this.

Samsung wasted their money on making this, and are going to loose money cuz literally no one is going to buy this TV

Zeroplanetz

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013
Aren't movie theaters projected in 4k? I'm sure you could get an actual movie theater setup/experience for far far less with more visual space. At 120k id expect something more Imax like.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
Clearly, this is a tv for the person that already has the Porsche and the mansion, and an extra $120k that they cannot get to fit in their safe or under the mattress. Or the meth dealer that stores pallets of cash in a storage facility. Maybe it should be called the Samsung Heisenburg UHD TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.